It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Guard Trucks Driving Under Water

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

All I could think watching this was WAT? How are they going this far completely submerged? Do these trucks all have a snorkel system? It's pretty impressive and also facepalm worthy watching these guy cruising around with the water almost at the roof line. Dumb stunt or SOP? Anyone know?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I wonder if they've heard the motto, "Turn around don't drown."
I've never seen anything like that!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Since they have to abandon their vehicles it is definitely face-palm time.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

All I could think watching this was WAT? How are they going this far completely submerged? Do these trucks all have a snorkel system? It's pretty impressive and also facepalm worthy watching these guy cruising around with the water almost at the roof line. Dumb stunt or SOP? Anyone know?

The snorkel appears to be right behind the driver side of the cab, it looks like it maybe gets roughly 1 ft of clearance from the water as it appears.. That'd be a bamf bug out vehicle

edit on 8/29/2011 by eXia7 because: spelling XD

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Here is a screen grab from that video clip I circled the snorkel with red. Pretty impressive though!!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Many hummers and other military vehicles are equipped with snorkels, though I certainly never drove one so deep.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

That'd be a bamf bug out vehicle

Exactly what I was thinking. Well after I thought what the hell are these idiots using trucks as submarines for? I guess the National Guard may be having a hard time training common sense. Either way, want one of those trucks. I'd leave at least two feet between water level and snorkel... promise.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
James Bond needs one of those trucks to replace his Lotus Esprit. How do you suppose they are able to drive underwater. Awesome!.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
For me the best thing about being in a situation like that would be to cut the cheese!!! Although you'd be in for one bad ass whooping I would imagine. Still would be the mother of all times, also a bad time to crack the window for a smoke.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Ah thank you for that. Don't have the contacts in and the camo is working a little too well at the moment! Someday I hope to purchase one of these things and abuse it as much as possible!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
James Bond needs one of those trucks to replace his Lotus Esprit. How do you suppose they are able to drive underwater. Awesome!.

Completely water tight sealed motor, and an air breather sitting up high enough to stay out of water. You can do this to your standard truck if you cared to.. although I'm sure it'd cost a bit

Also maybe they have scuba gear lol

edit on 8/29/2011 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Wow, I dont know how they managed to get as far as they did before bailing out and making a swim for it....

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

They were doing great till they went under the railroad bridge and looks like they got in the deepest part of the flood. Pretty impressive tho, almost worked.
Hey look ma we're on You Tube.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I am thinking stupid stunt. I highly doubt that it was SOP. I bet a coupe of drivers have their butt's in a sling right now.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The snorkel is all fine and good, but what about the people in the back that were getting out? Doesn't look very safe.
That stated, back in my youth, I have four-wheeled in water and mud holes with various lifted trucks. 6" and 8" suspension lifts,and with 3" body lift. My trucks leaked if it cam in the doors

Would never even think of doing what they did, snorkel or not.
Looked like a civilian in red got out of the back. Those poor guys in the back must have been a bit in a panic.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
How did the driver see to drive.? is there a camera or some system on top? the murky water you could not see, I scuba dive and you cannot see in that water. so how could they even get as far as they did? inside cab snorkels too right? I mean the cabs had to be soaked in side...............hum . Wow.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyinghaggis

Agreed. I was REAL surprised after the first second or two because I figured the trucks were just floating. They were just plugging along fine until after the bridge. Imagine they had been going for awhile too.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Yep, that dip under the bridge probably sunk the snorkel under and that was it.

I would have like to have seen them pop out and keep going, but it didn't look like they had picked the right path.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
The snorkel is all fine and good, but what about the people in the back that were getting out? Doesn't look very safe.
That stated, back in my youth, I have four-wheeled in water and mud holes with various lifted trucks. 6" and 8" suspension lifts,and with 3" body lift. My trucks leaked if it cam in the doors

Would never even think of doing what they did, snorkel or not.
Looked like a civilian in red got out of the back. Those poor guys in the back must have been a bit in a panic.

it is a wonder no one drowned. I mean the flow of water would hold the door on back closed....really lucky no one drowned. wow.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

I would have been out of the back of that truck and on the roof in about a second personally.

National Guard: 'Just hang tight buddy we got this.'

Me : 'F that noise!' *paddle*

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join