It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone explain to me how to properly use search?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Note the graphic below.

This was actually the second time I searched that precise title. It neither pulled the original thread or my duplicate thread. Note they share the exact same title and match the search exactly.

Is there some basic trick for getting more reliable results? I hate to waste my time or anyone else's with threads already posted by other members.

Thanks for any suggestions.

edit on 29-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Only thing I can do is point out the information posted to the right of the search bar when you click the search button on the toolbar:

We've indexed more than five million distinct pages of content on AboveTopSecret.com, for an easy-to-use search engine that's more like asking questions of the smartest crowd of people you'll ever discover.

Use the field at left to enter anything from a simple one-word search to a complex query using conditional operators.

For example, if you want to search on the exact phrase Obama's birth certificate, you would type this in the search field;
"Obama's birth certificate"
Making sure you use the quotation marks.

But if you want to include any content on ATS that also discuss Kenya or Indonesia;
"Obama's birth certificate" Kenya Indonesia
The search engine will find the exact phrase and also content with other keywords.

To find content with one of any search terms, such as O'Hare UFO and terminal and control tower;
"O'Hare UFO" OR terminal OR "control tower"
ATS content with any one of those words will be found.

You can also tell the search engine to ignore specific words or phrases. For example, if you want material on Obama's birth certificate, but that doesn't contain the term birther;
"Obama's birth certificate" -birther
The minus sign in front tells search to ignore content with that word or phrase.

This is version 1.0 of the ASK ATS engine. Future improvements will include forum-specific searches, the ability to refine your searches based on the date a topic was authored, the date of a topic's last reply, number of flags, number of replies, and even specific members who replied to a topic.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Hi Loam. I find when I am using the search function, using the fewest words possible helps. I just did a search and only used "Cop tasers mentally handicapped" and the first 2 links were to the original thread and yours showing up right under it. Works for me at any rate.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
My Mind is correct.

The fewer words you use the better the results.

Sometimes, less is more, so to speak.............

vvv

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I agree key words is key

the more words you use the more threads are going to have one of those words and produce a hit

"cop kicks person" brought the thread right up

I guess though if you have the wording, spelling and all exactly correct you should be able to put it in quotes and get the result you are looking for
edit on 8/29/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Thanks all!

I have tried the more is less approach, but on some topics, you get lots of stuff you weren't looking for.

I did forget about the quote thing.
Good to remember.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Ok, I just tried the title in quotes and it pulled my duplicate thread right away. It did not, however, pull the original thread.

When I went to look to see why, that thread uses "police officer" where mine uses "cop". So the quote thing helps only so much.

I guess it is what it is....

See ya on these otherwise FANTASTIC boards.

edit on 29-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Hey loam,

I've never found the "Search" feature that effective to be honest with you, but maybe that's just me

edit on 30/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join