It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liverpool unprepared for alien attack - official

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Saw this article in the Liverpool Echo and thought I'd share.

LIVERPOOL leaders have been forced to admit that Merseyside is woefully unprepared in the event of an alien invasion. The glaring defence issue was revealed after a concerned member of the public put in a Freedom of Information request to Merseyside Police, Fire Service and Liverpool Primary Care Trust.

The question, registered on the website whatdotheyknow.com, asked: “Can you please furnish me with any and all information held by yourselves relating to plans to deal with an alien invasion? “By alien, I mean a life-form that evolved on a planet other than Earth, and travelled here by any means possible.” Merseyside police admitted they had no such contingency though pointed out that emergency legal powers could be applied if flying saucers were to threaten the city.

Merseyside Police however, who answer around 65 FOIs a month, said they were: “Committed to an honest relationship with the public and will continue to be open and accountable.” Michael Marshall, vice president of Merseyside Sceptics Society, said: “As a sceptic I would say you can’t dismiss claims out of hand without evidence. However I would say the fire service probably have bigger fish to fry.

Full article

www.liverpoolecho.co.uk...
edit on 29/8/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
So it may well be just a bit of filler for the paper, a bit of fun.... but I found it interesting anyway.

This is interesting

This isn’t the first Merseyside alien info revealed by the authorities. In 2008 reports of an alien spacecraft over Wallasey town hall and UFOs over Liverpool were included in Government UFO files.

And there are a few comments in the article from the police spokesperson, that seem a little odd.

Anyway, there ya go.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
imagine if they did land in liverpool they'd have the wheels off it before you could say "take me to your leader"

but in serious mode now, surely if they popped over to liverpool it would be a military matter anyway as its a bit like asking if the council have plans for an invasion from peru or something else rather improbable

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
What Alien in there right mind would attack Liverpool , the Scousers would have em for breakfast and have their ships striped in minutes

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
If flying saucers are planning to land in Liverpool they better have good security on their ships

edit on 29-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I can't imagine how anyone can be prepared for an alien invasion. We can't even fathom how something like that would look like, maybe we're under attack right now.. we wouldn't know.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

At last, someone who is actually discussing the story...

The fact that they even printed it is funny I think.... obviously a slow day.
And they mention FOIA documents and so on, I just wonder what the reasoning behind the story is?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
"eh eh eh calm down calm down"

London doesnt have a plan for alien invasion either....dont know which is worse...im a southerner so im going to be bias and say scouse is worse lol

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Liverpool?

The aliens would want to nail everything down the minute they land.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
They better not try to invade during a soccer match..

The crowd would lynch them..

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Why would anyone want to go to liverpool?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Don't worry, they will die from bacteria - haven't you seen war of the worlds?

If it wasn't something like that that stopped them, we would be screwed.
We would probably just end up firing nukes at them and killing ourselves instead.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by Droogie

At last, someone who is actually discussing the story...

The fact that they even printed it is funny I think.... obviously a slow day.
And they mention FOIA documents and so on, I just wonder what the reasoning behind the story is?

well the council has to respond to FOI requests no matter how stupid they are...you could ask your council about anything like "does it have plans to setup a shelter for blind lesbian turtles named doris?" and they have to respond or they get into trouble so a few people like to troll their council by filling in the requests with maybe a few quid fee and job done

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Oh yeah I realise that, I just wonder why the paper picked up on it and decided to print it?
I just think there are a few weird little comments in the article.

I'm not saying there's anything to it or that an invasion is likely (really not my thing TBH) but I just find it odd that they decided to print it and say some of the things they did.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

The article brings up an interesting subject, although it is a bit strange they brought it up in the first place. How would we approach the question of how to defend ourselves against an alien invasion can't be the easiest thing in the world.

To my knowledge there is in fact a book about it. It's called "An introduction to planetary defense:
a study of modern warfare applied to extra-terrestrial invasion" written by Travis S. Taylor, Bob Boan, R. Charles Anding, T Conley Powell. I want to make it clear that I'm not soliciting, but I thought it was interesting to bring up.

This book offers a serious look at defending the planet in the event of an extra-terrestrial invasion. Travis Taylor, et al, have written the definitive book on the defense of earth against a potential alien incursion. Whatever your beliefs on the subject, the book serves as an important primer on the potential future of warfare on every level.

It may sound a bit ridiculous, but it's not unwarranted, and it is prudent to have contingencies in place for various scenarios like this.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Oh definitely, and the fact that authorities and councils and nations even discuss this and even take it seriously,I think, is pretty cool in itself.

This guy seems to think that the book you mention is crap.

www.amazon.co.uk...=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Although without reading it, I have no idea...

Have you read it?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Articles like this aren't foreign to the Liverpool Echo. I've seen plenty of similar examples over the years. I think the people at the newspaper are quite liberal when it comes to approaching these types of topics.

Not that they take it seriously, of course. They just realise it makes commercial sense. Aliens sell papers

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Yeah I know mate, I don't think there's an ulterior motive, or something sinister lurking behind the article, just fancied sharing really and getting a discussion going.

Except most people just wanted to make cheap, dated jokes instead of discussing the subject.

Oh well.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I haven't read it, but some people seems to give it some positive reviews. But I agree, it would be cool as you say, if governmental organizations took it seriously and developed plans on their own.

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if think tanks like Rand Corporation have done some work on the subject, but that is pure speculation.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I do think its a legitimate concern people should actually start to think about. (and many probably are)

Heres hoping there are already a bunch of people working away on some crazy, but possibly humanity saving technologies and theories.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join