posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:47 AM
Originally posted by The Axeman
reply to post by sir_chancealot
What a load of garbage.
I know a "1%er" -- we work for the same company -- nicest guy you could hope to meet.
ALL the biggest Motorcycle Clubs are "1%" clubs -- Hell's Angels, Outlaws, Mongols, Bandidos... I think those are the main ones (if not the only 1%
Not to say they don't have their share of bad dudes, but to claim that the 1% patch = murderer is dubious. It's a club-wide thing.
They look at it as they are the 1% who lives "outside the box" so to speak. It doesn't automatically imply "criminal." -- although I think the
above poster was correct about the speech.
I think it was something to the effect of 99% of motorcycle clubs live within the limits of the law, the other 1% are outlaws. America has always had
a fascination with "outlaws" so, it makes some sort of sense that they would take the label and run with it.
*sigh*. I had an entire semester years ago in college for one of my law enforcement classes on this very subject. (No, I am not a cop, decided there
was more money to be made, with less hassles, in computers.
) It was a 25 page paper, and dealt with the colors, markings, phraseology, and
various other things that had to do with outlaw bikers.
The 1% was originally used to show that only 1% of PEOPLE WHO RODE MOTORCYCLES were "outlaw bikers". It had nothing to do with patches, and came
about from a phrase by the Sheriff where the Hollister event was held, and made famous (if I remember right) by Sonny Barger. It later came to mean
those who have murdered for their gang. The same with "filthy few", which is mostly associated with Hell's Angels, but not exclusively.
As to your "nice neighbor", notice if he has different colored "wings" on his colors. He'll be happy to talk about his "red wings", but see if
he has "green wings", which he may or may not want to talk about. I guarantee you if he has "black wings", he won't talk about it, or he will
give you some b.s. about what that means.
Now, I *DID* say that "unless things have changed". Perhaps they HAVE changed, but the 1% PATCH used to (i.e., very late 80s, very early 90s) mean
they were an enforcer, i.e., they have killed for their gang.