It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Being "Awake"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

”Wow, it’s incredible being awake! infinite space, total peace!

I'm sure you have seen them: Massive ATS threads bursting at the seams with three-digit flag counts and more stars than are in the Horesehead Nebula. Their titles are usually some variation of: "Can you feel it?" "Are you awake?" "More and more people are waking up now, the process is snowballing” "Dealing with loved ones who are not awake" These aren't real thread titles, but they might as well be.

The common denominator here is the concept of "awakeness." Or it can be called something else, like "awareness" “ascension” "enlightenment" and so on. There are so many things I dislike about these threads and this mentality that I am having trouble deciding where to start. Well, let’s dive right in:

A) No precise or even ballpark rough definition is given of what it means to be "awake." Sometimes it is vaguely spiritual, sometimes it means “awake to deceptions in society”…the goalpoasts keep moving.
B) You either are or you aren't. If you are, you "know" it. If you have to ask, well, you are a "sleeple." (ooh I like that word, just came up with it. Copyright Partygirl).
C) There are no objective critera for showing or proving you are "aware" All you have to do is claim it, and you are welcomed joyfully into the fold of "those in the know."
D) Anyone questioning this phenomenon is obviously deluded and asleep and is hopeless.
E) Although the "awake" will swear with their last breath that they are all about tolerance, inclusion, openness, etc., a very snarky, very underhanded passive-aggressiveness clings to theses threads like a foul stench. People who you don't agree with or like can be dismissed as if they were children: "It's OK, I guess you couldn’t possibly understand. Someday you will be awake and realize what I mean. You are getting there, but you aren't there yet." Gee, thanks. This is nothing other than an attempt to introduce a hierarchy of privilege with the "more awake" on top and the "less awake" underneath. (Although if you call people on this, they will write pages and pages arguing that in their worldview, all beings are equal and should be in loving harmony.)

”Now, that was easy! Can’t wait to try it again!”

As threads, these are merely annoying – they become a kind of circular, self-referential self-congratulatory means and a vehicle for passive-aggressiveness. They have a bit of that annoying “I’ve got a secret you don’t know” smugness about them. But as I said, this is all merely annoying.

Where the issue gets serious is when these ideas carry over into the real world. As I wrote in a recent thread (the inspiration for this thread, actually):

...I read a book about the French Revolution not long ago. What happened is there was this vague sense of being "on the side of the people" or "on the side of the old order." It sounded good at first. Who isn't for liberty and justice? After the revolution, the streets seemed full of "awakened" citizens on the side of the people.

Eventually the whole thing got out of control and people started to be slaughtered in the Great Terror. Why? Because the vague criteria "being of the people" was not enough to run a society on. Who is "of the people" and who is not? The only way you can prove you are "of the people" for sure and remove suspicion from yourself was to denounce others as members of the "old order," so there was this frantic frenzy of denunciations, panic, and of course the swinging madame guillotine. Similar stories played out elsewhere in history: Mao, Pol Pot in Cambodia, the Red Terror in Hungary, etc etc.

...the biggest flaw of pure mysticism [is the rejection of] all external frameworks. Simply "being in the right groove" seems like enough to answer everything...no need for boring and difficult questions about morality or law...just "find your bliss" and tune in and miraculously everything will go off without a hitch.

No it won't. A feeling or a state of "awakeness" is not enough by itself to run the world on.

And this particular concept ("awakeness") is even vaguer than the French Revolution concepts. The streets would be gushing with blood in a week at most of establishing our enlightened groovocracy

From two recent Partygirl posts

Agree? Disagree? Well, it needed to be said IMHO.

”Just let it happen naturally, let go and let the process take its course.”

edit on 29-8-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

A) No precise or even ballpark rough definition is given of what it means to be "awake." Sometimes it is vaguely spiritual, sometimes it means “awake to deceptions in society”…the goalpoasts keep moving.

I see it as awake & aware, of everything. Seeing faces behind masks, Facts within the Fictions, and of course you completely see Fractals everywhere. So it's kind of a bit of everything at a speed you can handle when you can handle it. And really, one cannot be told what the Matrix is, you have to see it for yourself.

B) You either are or you aren't. If you are, you "know" it. If you have to ask, well, you are a "sleeple." (ooh I like that word, just came up with it. Copyright Partygirl).

I think it's called asleeple. It is somewhat like a pole flip in personality, likes/dislikes/ and outlook on life around you and your own life. I think people are having internal magnetic pole flips, and I'm one of them, but I remember what it was like hearing these people before, sounded very preachy to me.... I went through that phase too unfortunately, but I learned to relax, it's a big change.

C) There are no objective critera for showing or proving you are "aware" All you have to do is claim it, and you are welcomed joyfully into the fold of "those in the know."

Well I can't speak for everyone but I welcome everyone into my fold, so long as you're honest, respectful, and you have a good heart, at least somewhere in there.

D) Anyone questioning this phenomenon is obviously deluded and asleep and is hopeless.

Come on man, that's just bunk. Question everything (if you're not sure), leave NOTHING out, that's my motto and so many others.

E) Although the "awake" will swear with their last breath that they are all about tolerance, inclusion, openness, etc., a very snarky, very underhanded passive-aggressiveness clings to theses threads like a foul stench. People who you don't agree with or like can be dismissed as if they were children: "It's OK, I guess you couldn’t possibly understand. Someday you will be awake and realize what I mean. You are getting there, but you aren't there yet." Gee, thanks. This is nothing other than an attempt to introduce a hierarchy of privilege with the "more awake" on top and the "less awake" underneath. (Although if you call people on this, they will write pages and pages arguing that in their worldview, all beings are equal and should be in loving harmony.)

You can't clump "everyone" into this category, the only box you can put EVERYONE in is we are all here on Earth together, and we are all alive.... except for Dick Cheney, technically.
I really don't know who you been talking to but they sound nasty to me, if they're "awake" then they need to get out of bed next. A lot of people wake up and never leave the bedroom so to speak in the abstract metaphor. Waking up is a process, but you know something has severely changed within you and some go nuts trying to figure it out, I did.
We're not all bad people.... JOIN - US.... just give everyone an equal opportunity to be themselves, if they suck, you don't have to deal with them if you don't want to.... unless your married or have kids with ONE - OF - US.....

That evolutionary chart picture is awesome! I am grabbing that one for comical purposes.
edit on 29-8-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I like the first reply to the OP. Heck, I like parts of the OP.
The reality is that the society we live in is very warped.
We have been taught to fear, discriminate, obey and trust in the government.
I feel like over the past few years, I have become more 'awake'
But, it doesn't mean I'd join a cult, or dismiss other people to their faces.
I'm still the same guy, but I feel like my path has taken the alternative route.
What I mean by this is, that I try consciously improve my self, I try to treat my body well, I treat others well
I question everything, even my own existence. I think these are characteristics all of us once had,
by that I mean before the powers ruled us so blatantly, but also as we were children. We'd try to
discover things, give explanations to things, understand things, our existence, and we'd look at things
from many angles, whether those be physical angles or just different patterns of thinking.
In essence, I'm trying to be more childlike in my way of living, understanding that to feel better and
less void, you must avoid many of the things we are force fed. Read the news, only as a spectator,
question things proposed to you as 'safe' or 'improvements' and decide things for yourself.
Ultimately, it is our job to be self sufficient, to research everything: what am I eating? is it healthy?
What am I reading? What is the origin, purpose, value and limitation of this text? What am I doing?
Is it time well spent? Why am I hating? What has lead me to this emotion?
Once you understand yourself, your thoughts, your body and your world around you, you can start
to feel like you are in control again, even if the odds are stacked against you.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

You bring up a lot of very good points.

If I had to explain what spiritual perception/awakening/this that is, I'd more than likely state it is a unique form of introspection - namely, taking responsibility for your wrongs, and embracing your rights. You could say most people do this, but if that we're the case, we wouldn't have criminals and so forth.

I am also extremely good at recognizing people's body languages, and this in turn corresponds to a somewhat "telekinetic" or perceived telekinesis at which I can feel the way they feel somewhat. Basically empathy, but amplified somewhat.

I'm very capable of analyzing myself, and looking within for answers. I also am capable of recognizing my ego and separating it from my conscious will. To some this may sound like a crock - but to some they live most their lives unconscious, drug addicts, alcoholics, people to involved with work - etc.

So, I suppose that would be a ballpark figure for you!

Not many people can achieve any level of enlightenment without asking questions.... so these people are very far off. They may be highly egocentric as you state.

But, eventually one day - you stop asking what is enlightenment, then one day, you start running out of questions to ask, and then one day you kind of just taper off from the old perception of reality. I guess that's what it's like, or for me anyways. And by tapering off from the old perception of reality - I mean you start analyzing things intellectually, studying your own psychology, seeing how you react to certain events, and instead of action purely out of reaction - you start acting from conscious will. For instance - if you get a flat tire and instantly become angered, you will catch that - and you will start diagnosing it mentally, and begin burying the anger and accepting what has happened as what has happened.

There is no such thing as problems, only situations

-Avi, from the movie Revolver

It's pretty easy to determine the egocentric from the truly enlightened. I'd name a few members on ATS of whom I'm fairly certain are quite well off on the enlightenment road, but it would be redundant.

Anyone who doesn't question is asleep and hopeless, in my opinion. Also, there is no such thing as bad or good information - only information. And I believe knowledge, or "knowing" anything is a very dangerous thing.

I suggest we accept our understanding of the way things currently are as knowledge instead of a fine print stamp of "this is the way it is".

E) Although the "awake" will swear with their last breath that they are all about tolerance, inclusion, openness, etc.

I would consider myself quite "awake" as a lot of people put it, but I'd never say that I'm perfect and don't have my own biases.

I believe the road to enlightenment is paved with humility, something which egocentrics may(sociopath much?) or may not have discovered.

a very snarky, very underhanded passive-aggressiveness clings to theses threads like a foul stench. People who you don't agree with or like can be dismissed as if they were children: "It's OK, I guess you couldn’t possibly understand. Someday you will be awake and realize what I mean. You are getting there, but you aren't there yet." Gee, thanks. This is nothing other than an attempt to introduce a hierarchy of privilege with the "more awake" on top and the "less awake" underneath. (Although if you call people on this, they will write pages and pages arguing that in their worldview, all beings are equal and should be in loving harmony.)

I'm glad I don't do those things. I'd feel like a child.

Anyone can come on the internet and spout this or that. People should start taking everything with a grain of salt..... like I stated - knowledge is a dangerous thing. That's where most of these people who think they are "awakened" get off on a bad foot, you cannot fill a cup which is already full. Also - for all of those who have always wanted to know the meaning behind that quote - my interpretation is that you should never fill the cup.

As threads, these are merely annoying – they become a kind of circular, self-referential self-congratulatory means and a vehicle for passive-aggressiveness. They have a bit of that annoying “I’ve got a secret you don’t know” smugness about them. But as I said, this is all merely annoying.

When people(such as my self) begin experiencing some of the things I wrote above, they begin to feel left out from the rest of society. Because no, not many people question why they would be angry when you have a flat tire or such.

And when you begin "disconnecting" from the archetypical paradigm of western reality, it is quite extraordinary - even a little frightening at times.

I hope I clear things up a bit for you, and I surely do hope I've never offended you.

God speed!
edit on 29-8-2011 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2011 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I suspect this is because none of us are actually awake.

Similar to the concept of the Matrix, we are bound to the same prison where we can be managed properly.

In history, myth, and even pop culture, there are many who have ascended or awakened. Buddha, the most memorable figure, is actually a title referring to one who has become enlightened. Bodhisattva are also said to have attained the sight but with the help of others. Even Christ is considered to have "risen" above the realm of mankind, this three-dimensional plane of existence.

A flatlander pulled into our world would experience similar phenomenon, a sort of "waking" to our level.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Have any of you other "Awakers" (that's mine, copyright JibbyJedi
) ever meditated, or just gone TOO far on the mental aspects of reality and felt you had to come back or you'd be way far gone to be able to speak to anyone again?

How about what I call the Reset Button? That's when you really expand your consciousness pretty far for 1 day, then you go to sleep and when you wake up, you feel like someone hit the reset button and you are almost back where you started? Like there's a signal maybe around 3-4am like a Comcast bullet to blow out illegal boxes that tries to prevent awakening of an expanding individual consciousness?
I hated that part.

I don't mean or try to derail your thread PG, I thought maybe some friendlier perspectives might help you get a better read on what many of us went through. It's quite jarring in many ways, was for me at least.
edit on 29-8-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl

The goalposts move relative to your point of view because each individual is on a different length field and on a different point on the field, but you are attempting to create a one size fits all categorization and summation of a lot of people. Primarily seeming to be built up by those who cause annoyance for you.

This leads to....

If a person is *here*... they aren't actually fully awake in accordance with the final destination most people talking about it mean. Now if you are *awakening* or you are awakened to one part... often times (most) it is truly a "you know it or you don't". Much like trying to explain calculus to someone. Either you know you know it or you don't know it.

But that is still too stringent, because you can know *some* of calculus, or you can know all of calculus (up to today at least)... so even the definition of knowing isn't intended to be fixed in size or scope in the "awakening". It's possible to be groggily awake (aware that the politicians lie... vs... aware that politicians allow horrific human experiments to go on in the name of national security... vs... aware that you yourself are even a sort of experiment in mass control... etc).

But yes... the "I am now aware that there is more than this"... how can it be any other way BUT either you know it or you don't. If it's *beyond* this, and a person can't see beyond this, then of course they can't know and can't be shown it. I can't show someone Paris from New York. I can tell stories of Paris, perhaps even photos, but none of those will come close to even the hint of "knowing" Paris.

It's not a club with a handshake, though some people do collect in like minded groups based on the topics they are personally awakening to. A peson can simply awaken to a type of music, btw. Awakening is an increasing awareness and understanding of something. To be awake is to finally see all the aspects of the object you used to miss. For example people who never noticed the arrow in the FedEx logo. Once you see it, you can never unsee it, but until you see it... well... it's just not there.

So yes, if someone says "I see an arrow in the FedEx logo"... I will say "Cool! We are both aware of the same concept!"... and someone who swears it isn't there... what can be said to them if they don't see it? Yes, this example is absurdly simple, but I picked it because it's one that everyone is pretty certain to see *ONCE THEY LOOK FOR IT*. Now extend this to more subtle or complex issues being explored.

"Awake" does get generally applied to many things, but to begrudge the entire concept is similar to getting upset because "tank" is used to identify a great number of things that are "tank".

For me, on this aspect, what I consider the awakeness I have come to understand has led me to see those who question it as simply choosing to continue to enjoy this game from within the very fascinating state of unawareness of what it is to be asleep vs awake on a spiritual (or political) level. I no longer view those who consider it "stupid fantasy land" to be deluded or asleep in a *negative* manner. It's more like walking in a room where someone is sleeping and going "Whoops!" and trying to quietly close the door while enjoying how they look as they sleep.

Of course some people will try to project that sort of attitude sometimes. Is it not possible for someone on the journey of awakening to have slips backwards into the negative/separation mindset? If you actually dig into the further spiritual aspect of awakeness that is frequently discussed, you will see how the manner in interacting with others changes as the person grows and improves in their awakeness. The version you are describing (myself included) is harbored in the lingering effects, habits, and patterns the person who is awakening picked up living lifetime(s) in this environment.

We are human, we are all capable of overestimating our progress, confusing things, etc. How is it any different from someone who is snarky about proving scientific things who then later finds out that the scientific theory he has been pushing for years and making fun of people for not believing... has been proven false by new information and he has to revise or possible even reverse his entire stance?

Just because a person is awakening doesn't mean they aren't still dealing with the same challenges, mistakes, over-estimation, missing perspectives, etc. However if they truly are awakening, then as these are encountered the process of intergration and understanding is done. Anyone who is taking in information counter to what they currently understand and evolving their world view is awakening. We are all simply awakening at different paces (which is a good thing), different points along the path, and on different subjects at different times.

So yes, you will have people who believe they are awake respond and act the way you describe (myself included)... but it's generally on accident, or will quickly be a lesson to show their (our) foible.

All that said... a great deal of what you perceive as a negative attitude could be some projection from you. A lot of comments which are not intended as jibes will come off that way, especially if you are already annoyed at the people or the idea presented.

What if they do? What if they are trying to share it with you but all you see is smugness? What if you think this response is smug?

Where the issue gets serious is when these ideas carry over into the real world. As I wrote in a recent thread (the inspiration for this thread, actually):

Ok... way to take two totally different circumstances and just tie them together. Guess what happens when people are annoyed at others who seem to be enjoying something they aren't? They become violent and eventually attack the people out of jealousy or bitterness... that's where your ideas carry over to the real world and get serious... what if... I mean what if you become an "awakened people serial killer"? People become serial killers for all sorts of reasons. People also tend to attack those they fear might attack them. Since you fear the awakened might attack you... I fear you may make a pre-emptive strike if you think you see it coming but simply mis-interpret an incoming hug.

See? This sort of speculation could go on.

Any group can be manipulated to fight against each other. Any group which proclaims one idea is entirely capable of acting on another (right wing protestant politician? left wing billionaire tax cheat?)

...the biggest flaw of pure mysticism [is the rejection of] all external frameworks. Simply "being in the right groove" seems like enough to answer everything...no need for boring and difficult questions about morality or law...just "find your bliss" and tune in and miraculously everything will go off without a hitch.

That may be what it seems like to you, but that doesn't make it what it is. You sound like someone who went to a lecture on a topic you don't like, aren't interested in, aren't versed in 90% of what was being discussed, haven't put forth an earnest effort to research and understand, but feel that you are able to come to a conclusion about.

You are hearing the words, disbelieving the results described, and thus missing the opportunity to understand for yourself what the "go off without a hitch" means.

No it won't. A feeling or a state of "awakeness" is not enough by itself to run the world on.

Who says it is? I mean I'm sure you can dig up some person, but do you really think people are proposing a world should run on "awakeness" without digging deeper into other discussions? You aren't revealing a lack in the awakening process trying to understand how the world could run better... you are revealing the lack of awareness you have of just how much and deeply these discussions go. Even in the Tao Te Ching it spends a great deal of time speaking of how an awakened populace can operate.

Guess what an asleep populace is described as being like?

And this particular concept ("awakeness") is even vaguer than the French Revolution concepts. The streets would be gushing with blood in a week at most of establishing our enlightened groovocracy

That is your view.

One of the most important aspects of awakeness I wish to express, and hope you don't take as smug: The vagueness is in you.

That said, you are also already enlightened so you are already in the club whether you know it or not.
/secret shake engaged!

Namaste Friend!
edit on 29-8-2011 by ErgoTheConfusion because: Awoke to some foibles, accepted responsibility for my mistakes, and grew my understanding. Also... Typos.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by b3l13v3
If I had to explain what spiritual perception/awakening/this that is, I'd more than likely state it is a unique form of introspection - namely, taking responsibility for your wrongs, and embracing your rights.

Wonderful summation right there from my point of view as well.

Namaste!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConfusion

That said, you are also already enlightened so you are already in the club whether you know it or not. /secret shake engaged!

Ahh.... I think I heard what's his name say this..... Eckhart Tolle was it? I swear that guy is a freakin alien.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

Maybe he is!!!!!

To OP: Additional note.... awakening is an eternal process. It doesn't just stop when a person awakens enough to leave earth. Awakening is simply learning something new... be it here or as the infinitely small nothing point that contains everything.

/hug

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I visualise 'awakening' of consciousness as a bit like a spiral pattern, where positive energy (compassion etc) lifts you ever higher & outwards, but negative energy (fear etc) holds you back. It is natural for consciousness to expand as you grow older but for various reasons many people in the world seem caught in arrested development.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

And what we should all worship whatever god you worship.

There is no end, or end goal to the complexities of existence, and so the goal posts will always be moving, just when they think they have gotten somewhere and think they know it all. They will find out how wrong they are.

Awake is a general meaning which can mean pretty much anything.

B) You either are or you aren't. If you are, you "know" it. If you have to ask, well, you are a "sleeple."

Ask and you shall not understand, all of writing and explaining is a waste of time and breath. Humanity is foolish to believe otherwise or to think they can comprehend something by mere words. Just look at you bible, it says many things but so far none really grasp what it means and its just used by power mongers and other scum as a way to power and control.

Off-course there are, this aint like religion were you just have to play along with something and bam your saved, or going to heaven or whatever. And the term "those in the know" is just a meaningless jumble of words you put up, in the know of what?

Sounds like your just threatened by it because it reminds you so much of your favorite club to believe unquestionably in... Christianity. Sure but were does it say, do not question it, and if it does then it is just another circle jerk or means to another controlled sheep hive mind like all religions out there are.

Question everything.

E) Although the "awake" will swear with their last breath that they are all about tolerance, inclusion, openness, etc., a very snarky, very underhanded passive-aggressiveness clings to theses threads like a foul stench. People who you don't agree with or like can be dismissed as if they were children: "It's OK, I guess you couldn’t possibly understand. Someday you will be awake and realize what I mean. You are getting there, but you aren't there yet." Gee, thanks. This is nothing other than an attempt to introduce a hierarchy of privilege with the "more awake" on top and the "less awake" underneath.

People are people so why should it be that you and the other nutters get along so awfully?

Its humanity's nature to seek hierarchy's is what they do, and what they were programmed for. If it were not so then things like religion, politics, government, and many other mind constructs that you see around you would not exist in the first place.

So basically you just fear that it will overtake you current hierarchical believe system.

Let me ask you this...How many people do you think will be going to hell according to what people who interpret you believe system say? And how many times this month have you told people that if they don't get with your program that they will be burning in hell and other such silly stuff?

Really why I think your annoyed by them is that you see yourself and your believes in how they operate and are.
Kind of like looking in a mirror eh.

”Just let it happen naturally, let go and let the process take its course.”

I don't get what your trying to say with that quote and picture of the process of evolution from monkey to human and from human to sheep.

Can you expalin or is this just another reptilian worship thing, were everybody is sheep lead to nice pastures and slaughterhouses every couple of generations.
edit on 29-8-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join