It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hope there is a Life after his one.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Your an atheist and want a life after this one?

Who would provide that?

Think hard.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Hey OP, I myself am atheist.. but when a thread similar to this very one is made, it always seems like a perfect opportunity for the religious bible thumpers to start quoting the bible which 9 times out of 10 derails the thread because they can't seem to keep their beliefs in their own forums.

Instead I would just like to stick with the topic by saying that I've pondered about this very idea many times. The thought of dieing is scary.. I don't care who you are, the fact that 'snap-o' lights outs with no continuation of life is truly unbelievable.

I like to lean towards the belief in the parallel universe apsects.. for instance time is not linear, and we just experience different things all the time. Theoretically, a parallel universe you are experiencing something else.. maybe dieing you, yourself, have not experienced it yet but you have somewhere else.. essentially life never ends maybe? Good post S&F

edit on 29-8-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This thread would be cool and all without all the wack bible verses....no offense to Jesus Freaks lol

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I am almost 100% sure there is an Afterlife.
I don't know why no one has yet to post this on any of the threads about this subject everyone should check this site out:
VictorZammit.com
Sign up for his Friday Afterlife Report and you'll get all the evidence you need.
I don't care what anyone says i'm a believer that theres something after this journey we go through...
Peace out hope my very first post was helpful. lol

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I'm sure there is, maybe just not yours.
What difference would it make anyhow.
What would be the reason, so you could beat it some more.

I use to worry about such things, but then realized the silliness of it all, how much can you know anyhow and would you be come bored after a time.

Were just One big unhappy, happy family any how.

You die each night when you go to sleep, or so it seems, just don't go to sleep.

Don't worry it will all come out in the wash, things are not as bad as they seem, all is a illusion
edit on 29-8-2011 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monkeygod333
Reply to post by ShadowZion

i dont think youre getting what im saying. you can belief in a higher being without believing in christianity, im doing it right now. I dont believe in the beliefs of christian much the same as you probablx dont believe in hinduism. By living life to the fullest i meant, essentially, just being a good person. Dont be evil. Lol, not new cars and such.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Christianity is the following of Christ, not the belief in a higher power/being. You can be spiritual about things without being religious. I am constantly talking to people about spiritual things, but once you get an organized religion involved, the conversation is usually over.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I agree with the people who say that this one life is plenty if you do it right. And even then, this life gets surprisingly boring after a short while. Either boring or terrifying. Those are your choices.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I like to use the hourglass example to explain life and death, since it leaves room for many possibilities. If we think as life being the centre of our hourglass, we can look at the top and bottom cones as being affects and causes of life respectively. Nothing outside the hourglass has any affect on these events because they have no relevance. All events and actions that take place before life, (say for an example we are talking about one life in particular, the event of one's parents meeting could be an example) we can place in the bottom of our hourglass. All events would eventually lead up to our defining event: life. The top half shows all that is hereby affected by life, this is where life grows and expands to include everything that has become apart of it. Friendships, rivalrys, family and buisiness could all be seen as a result of life as an initial event. Life is isolated to this hourglass, in which all events before and after are relevant. Death itself is the final event of life, so we can say that all events of life are leading up to death. This creates our bottom cone for a second hourglass, but leaves us with no known events to continue after death. This is where assumption takes over and we are left to guess. But if we treat both hourglasses the same we know that death is only an event which affects everything after it. So if the expanding top cone of life always leads to a defining event of death, there is no reason not to believe that events following death will lead to a single moment where life starts again

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I hope you are not contemplating taking your life. I believe in karma in this universe and I don't think that act is an acceptable answer to life. I sometimes think the whole point of life is to experience everything possible good and bad and learn. I know our human emotions can make that difficult, but it's the challenges that mold you and either make you more amazing or get the best of you. I think we are supposed to get through life learning how to become better and not allow the bettering of you in the process.

On a side note and why I opened this thread. I had an out of the ordinary dream last night. I dreamed I was being shown that I could die and then just walk into a new life. It was almost like going through a wall of water to the other side and living a whole new life. BTW- in the dream I walked into the same era as the previous. I was the same person, but my life and the people around me were different. Just thought I'd share.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Ha....I am a Jesus Freak....so yeah I would say A BIG FAT YES to the afterlife.

Death is only a transfer of Energy..... There is no death. You will reap what you sow....so....be loving in all you do and allow your works in Life be out of love and you will be A-ok!

Since you are an atheist....maybe you can relate to these words other than the ones Jesus spoke. It is a grrrreat way to begin learning about the" Death" scenario.

www.near-death.com...

Happy reading my friend! xoxoxo

Jenn

edit on 29-8-2011 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by applebaum

The older we get, the more we realize how quickly life passes us by. How short life is.

I am agnostic. I was a christian for the first 20 or 25 years of my life. It was only a few years ago when I could say "F*** God!" inside my mind and not feel guilty. God doesn't exist to me.

I'm 34 now.

I think about it too. I tink everyone does. I got to thinking about it when people around me died. And when I could see us all getting older. When I can think back 15 years and see how we were all younger. When I look at pictures of my parents from the 50's. They're about 70 now, but in the pictures they were teenagers. My grandparents died few years ago. Can look at pictures of them when they were 20 to 40 years old. They were so young and strong. Time got them.

I was thinking about it yesterday after seeing Victoria Lake on youtube. She was an actress. Sometimes I will look at pictures of women from the 40's and 50's and realize to myself that they're either very old right now or they're dead. I had a desktop background of Rita Haysworth from 1941 about. I was watching TV about 7 months ago maybe. They were showing old films from 1902 to 1928. One of them was of a young lady from 1924, I think. They had redone the black/white so that it was in color. She was beautiful. She's either exceptionally old or dead. I don't know why, but I like to see old pictures of women because for some reason whenever I see actual young women I always imagine them getting old and dying. I can't seem to enjoy it.

My best answer is that we're all far more alike than we ever thought. Maybe the place we grow up is what we're? There may be a few minor differences in our genes. But for the most part we're all like the same soul that is living in different bodies in different places. I've been thinking lately that if I could live as someone else I would end up just like them. This is the only reasonable idea I can come up with to deal with death. Every other idea seems too far fetched. I don't think we survive death, but maybe it doesn't matter if we're all alike.

Think about it, the differences between each person's DNA are so small. How can that be what makes us what we're? To me, all of the human DNA is like the same person. It's the environment we grow up in that creates this illusion of difference. The illusion is like a costume or a mask.
edit on 29-8-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

it always seems like a perfect opportunity for the religious bible thumpers to start quoting the bible which 9 times out of 10 derails the thread because they can't seem to keep their beliefs in their own forums
reply to post by 31Bravo

So...everyone is not like you....does that make anyone not like you less of a person? Are you better? Of course not....and I am sure you were not implying that at all.

Look, we all have different perceptions and it would be nice to allow others their own view without ridicule.

What if the people in the world were not judgmental when they realize someone else has a different view point based on their experience's? It would be much more peaceful!

An Atheist can call a believer names all day and all night (and vice versa)...still don't change a thing. They will still believe and you will still not believe UNLESS you have an experience that changes that belief system...correct?

There is life after death...no matter what you do or do not believe. The question is really....what state of "mind" will you find yourself in? The true you will show itself once the flesh is removed.

Love is the key my friend! Hold it close!!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by applebaum
I am an atheist.

...me too... gosh, small world sometimes, huh?...

However, I sincerely hope that life goes on after this one and that we have a purpose for existing.

...its all a matter of perspective, imo... i've been down lots of roads that i would love to repeat but i dont believe thats possible... it could be - no one knows for sure...

...as for a purpose for existing, its whatever you make it... my purpose is multi-faceted... giving birth to my babies and raising them to be good responsible independent adults is one... being my SO's safe place to fall until the day he died is another... telling my grandchildren the old stories that were passed down to me is another... being my mom's caregiver and witness to her last days is another... i'll shut up now, lol...

Various family problems and some hard life complications in my youth, cause me to long for a chance to do it all over again. I long to meet those that have passed, heal issues and reach new heights together.

...i can identify except my complications werent limited to just my youth... one of the key people who kept me grounded was my paternal grandfather... gosh, i really miss him... anyways, when i'd get the mully-grubs cuz of bad things that had happened to me, he'd remind me that i am who i am in spite of those things, not because of those things... its one of those mindsets you have to grow into, at least i did cuz my learning curve is often kinda wavy (in a tsunami sense), lol...

Do you believe in life after death? Can you tell me why?

...as long as i have living descendants, a part of me continues to live after my death... thats the only thing i know for sure about that...

...i have opinions about reincarnation, all with the caveat of "if its possible" - like - humans dont come back as another critter or a something else not human... i also dont believe in the ascension stuff cuz that implies that this life is just a test and/or a re-do cuz you screwed it up so bad the last time around...

I guess I am a little down tonight and wish there was more to life than just the here and now. Currently, the here and now is not a happy place for me.

...i have those nights too and sometimes it feels like i've had WAY more than my fair share... here, i'll share a tidbit or two - then (if you want) you can share whats bumming you out... sometimes just talking about it lessens the sting a little...

...mom has alzheimers and its very hard to watch someone you love disappear... there are nights when she wanders around the house totally lost - banging on paintings or mirrors or the vertical blinds as if she's trying to find a door... when she's like that, she's often violent if disturbed by "hey, mom, what ya doin?", no matter how softly or sweetly i say it...

...i complained to her neurologist (whom i adore) that she's got enough drugs in her to knock out a horse and i didnt understand how she could walk, much less get physically violent... he likes to help me come to my own conclusions via taking me around the world to get to the next block, which irks me when i'm sleep deprived, lol - but - with his help, i finally reasoned that her psychosis was stronger than the drugs meant to keep her calm and/or asleep... helluva thang, huh?...

...over the past two years, i've lost track of how many times i've spent the night dozing in one of the recliners in the living room cuz i couldnt go to bed and go to sleep with her up - afraid she'll hurt herself or try to cook and set the house on fire... a few weeks ago, she tried to stab our dog and he bit her, which upset him cuz he adores her and thinks its his job to protect her...

...this past saturday was her birthday and my siblings sent flowers and stuff... as i opened the gifts, i told her over and over - this is for you - its your birthday... there was no recognition - just that void of light shark eye thang... i cried about it a little cuz thats a good tension reliever (for me), then came on ats and good luck struck when someone came along i could cut up with...

...so, now, its your turn, if you wanna...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Sweetheart, I am in the same place at you. I wonder if there is a life after this one or a chance to live again. I am so, so lost.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

unfortunately, nobody here is going to be able to tell you for certain that there is or isn't an afterlife. You have to die to find out. But the wonderful thing about faith is that you can believe whatever you want to and you have a pretty good chance of getting it right as far as you know. If there is nothing, you have not wasted your life lamenting on the wonders of heaven, you have engaged your mind to think beyond what is understood. If you think there is nothing and it brings you to an unhappy place, there is a cure for that. Just make up something that you think the afterlife will include. For me, it's friends, family, beer and golf. Others may not have the same thoughts. I will feel a bit sad for my family members who don't golf and have passed on, but perhaps I can teach them to enjoy the game. If not, I can certainly share beers with them and show then how we enjoy golf when we play bad.
Cheer up. Nobody is forcing you into a box because you labeled yourself an atheist. You may find yourself leaning towards agnostic or you could just break the mold altogether and believe whatever the hell you want to believe. Just remember, nobody here knows for sure and no matter what people say, I think most everyone hopes for something after death. Weather they admit that or not is another story.

Have a nice day.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeroK

(...)

Eckhart Tolle

(...)

If not Meister Eckhardt.

(Beautiful thread)

ETA :

7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?

10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?

11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Matthew, 7.

(echoing TeroK, if not sourcing TeroK echoes)

edit on 29/8/2011 by Pr0sp3r0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Do you believe in life after death? Can you tell me why? I know you can't give me empirical proof but I would love to read your experiences. I guess I am a little down tonight and wish there was more to life than just the here and now.

I can already see you've had a myriad of answers, but I thought I'd add mine. I hope it helps.

reply to post by Heartisblack

Sweetheart, I am in the same place at you. I wonder if there is a life after this one or a chance to live again. I am so, so lost.

HeartisBlack I hope it is of help to you too.

Yes, I believe in life after death. Why? That's a little harder to explain. I guess for want of a better explanation, I always have.

I appreciate that will probably be of no help whatsoever, so permit me if I may to explain more: In my life, I have had breakdowns, major depression and levels of anxiety that have had me lifting knives to my throat and wanting no more of life. And yet, I have been unable to do it. Cowardly, perhaps. Knowledgeable of the consequences, definitely.

However, here I am, out the other side bathed in peace and quietness.

If you want answers, if you want peace, I'd wholeheartedly suggest you pray and ask God to give you answers and give you peace. If you honestly want to listen, He will speak to you of what you need.

All I can say is that it worked for me. And I guess that's all that any of us can say

edit on 29/8/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I am agnostic and don't live my life counting on having another chance.

Just consider this. If this is all there is then shouldn't people make it count?

lots of people live their whole life believing that they are earning a chance at another life or heaven.

Maybe we are born, live a life cycle then die. Period.

We are just a part of nature's circle of life. We die and return to the dirt and feed new generations and species.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I can only speak from subjective experience but I had a NDE OBE in a hospital as a child and could see everyone working on me sense their concern and was lead away by someone I felt was safe while they worked on my body. There was a little confusion as I thought it was my brother on the table as I was standing beside it looking up on an angle in the intensive care ward.
Say what you want armchair critics. The experience was as real as it gets and my experiences projecting have only increased since. I can confirm there is more if you want to debate the point I will just leave my story and comment with this. I had the experience and perhaps you have not so subjectively speaking for me Life after death is a reality that no skeptic or critic can touch.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The answer lies in the right question. If you're not finding the answer, you're asking the wrong question. The burning question remains - why should man desire life after death?

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end." Ecclesiastes 3:11

He has written eternity on our minds and hearts. Meditate on this.

Regards,

followtheevidence

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join