It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chiropractic practitioner - A Doctor, quack or an alternative healer with 6th sense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Hi there,

I have an old friend that got licensed about a year ago to practice chiropractic, it only took a few years at school in Indiana and now calls herself a doctor.

My doubt and/or interest stems from what I've seen, Dr. E doing her craft... it involved hovering her hands over the person's back, not even touching.

Is there a sense that a chiropractor might have for determining musculoskeletal problems in the spine/back and some kind of healing power of the mind in addition? Or is it quackery in some opinions and if so, why?

I haven't had it done myself, just seen this happen and the satisfied recipient. I don't get it though. Seemed like hocus pocus alt medicine at first glance. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'd really like to hear about the pros and cons of it.

Should a chiropractor be considered an alt healer or a doctor?

Wiki tidbit:

The American Medical Association called chiropractic an "unscientific cult"[20] and boycotted it until losing an antitrust case in 1987.[

What does the chiropractor doctor do for you, how has life improved? Legit doctor, not a quack, etc.

Thanks. Peace out.
edit on 8/28/2011 by moogle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I'm pretty familiar with Chiropractic. I live near Palmer College where D.D. Palmer developed it, so I know a lot of chiropractors. What your friend was doing doesn't sound like any chiropractic treatment I know of. Maybe she was incorporating some other practice.

Chiropractic involves manipulation of the spine and joints. I believe Chiropractic has it's usefulness. As an example, the one time I visited a Chiro was when I threw my back out one winter trying to get my car un-stuck. The doctor I visited took x-rays of my back, then felt gently along my spine to locate the problem area. He then made a sudden and rather forceful push, I heard a loud pop and I was much better.

join