It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torpedoing Submarines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I've been thinking about these maritime patrol aircraft like the Nimrod and Orion and was wondering about a few things.

What is the longest range a maritime patrol aircraft could use a torpedo to sink a submarine at?

Also, at what depth are submarines effectively 'covered' from attack from the air?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen
I've been thinking about these maritime patrol aircraft like the Nimrod and Orion and was wondering about a few things.
What is the longest range a maritime patrol aircraft could use a torpedo to sink a submarine at?
Also, at what depth are submarines effectively 'covered' from attack from the air?

I don't think they are. ASW depends on alot of factors, from salinity to temperature of the water, surface conditions, depth etc. One of the reasons the Brits developed the spearfish was to get at the ALFA boats that could dive at 3000+ feet. I don't know if a ASW plane could carry the spearfish though. I think that IF it sub can be detected, it can be attacked. If not by the air then the MMA or Nimrod can vector in other sub to take care of business.

E_T

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Most antisub fishs are pretty small and have relatively short range.

And Nimrod uses Stingray, not Spearfish torpedoes.
www.armedforces.co.uk...

Big torpedoes like ADCAP and Spearfish are used by hunter-killers subs.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So does anyone have an answer to the range question like a very rough estimate in miles, say in perfect conditions, whatever they may be?

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Mk-46 (small torpedo mostly used on planes and helicopters) has a 12 000 yards range at 45 knots and can reach up to 1500 yards depth so it has no problems to kill also deep submerged Alpha submarines . Mk-50 is more advanced so it should be better (faster and longer range) . Mk-54 combines Mk-50 guidance system with Mk-46 propulsion system so it's something between them both.

Just to compare : submarine launched Mk-48 ADCAP has a 54 000 yards range at 40 knots or 42000 yards at 55 knots.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
So even if you are as far down as you can go in the submarine, you can still be killed from the air.

I guess there is really is nowhere safe anymore and there is a weapon to counter any defence.

Submarines should get some weapons to counter aircraft!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   

So even if you are as far down as you can go in the submarine, you can still be killed from the air.

I guess there is really is nowhere safe anymore and there is a weapon to counter any defence.

Submarines should get some weapons to counter aircraft!

There was some stuff done by the USSR in the 80s about putting small SAMS in submarine fins (conning towers) to take out MPAs

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordofLard
There was some stuff done by the USSR in the 80s about putting small SAMS in submarine fins (conning towers) to take out MPAs

Thats sounds really interesting - Did they manage to get it to work?

Do you have a link or some more information?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Thats sounds really interesting - Did they manage to get it to work?

Do you have a link or some more information?

It was launched similar to a Sub Harpoon, encapsulated launch from a torp tube, vreaks the surface and fires off.

From what I remember, it was very temperamental as the guidance was tricky.

[edit on 27-8-2004 by Cjwinnit]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
It could be teoretically possible to launch anti-aircraft misilles from VLS cells or torpedo tubes. VLS should be universal, but I don't know if the current ones on subs can do it. The radar could be on the surface, towed behind the submarine, while the sub stays submerged.

[edit on 28-8-2004 by longbow]

[edit on 28-8-2004 by longbow]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
It could be teoretically possible to launch anti-aircraft misilles from VLS cells or torpedo tubes. VLS should be universal, but I don't know if the current ones on subs can do it. The radar could be on the surface, towed behind the submarine, while the sub stays submerged.

Don't forget the CAPTOR torpedo. Its a lightweight torp that lies in an encapsulated place and listens for the sonar sounds overhead. When it finds an acoustical match in its data base it launches its torpedo. You get the best of both the mine world and the torpedo world.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Maybe a little oftopic question - have some subs already antitorpedo defense? I am not talking about the decoys - I mean mini torpedos or something like this used to destroy incoming torpedoes. Like current antimisille defense on the ships.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The Harpoon and Captor.I read about these as a boy. You cannot tell me they are still using these?
I mean,even if they do work just fine,you have a penchant for creating new systems every generation.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordofLard

Yes, I think it was a version of the SA-7 MANPADS.

new topics

top topics

join