It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to join a library? Have you had a sex change?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Councils are asking residents who want to borrow books from public libraries whether they have HIV, schizophrenia, or have had a sex change, The Daily Telegraph has learned.

Wonderful. I am a white male in my mid twenties but I would not be at all comfortable being asked this kind of thing at a library. Who's business is it if I have cancer or AIDS or if my gender is the same as my birth gender? What does any of that have to do with giving me a freaking book?

“It is astounding at a time when savings are having to be found that those running libraries should think that these questionnaires - presumably inspired by misguided equalities legislation – in any way represent value for taxpayers’ money.”

Completely agree with this statement. What are you getting out of this questionnaire but invasion of privacy? I hope libraries get some new management.

This next part floored me. A spokesman said the following:

“This is a pretty standard business principle: know your customers - not intimate details but basic stuff.”

I think asking people about their sexual orientation, health issues etc. is very intimate. Am I the only one?

What do you guys think? Harmless or going too far?

Link

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Maybe libraries are trying to break in to a different demographic due to the fact that these places are dying a slow painful death.

Libraries, the new sanctuary for aids ridden, crazy transvestites.

Next they will allow hobos to sleep in them at night
edit on 11/8/28 by metaldemon2000 because: hobos

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

Libraries, the new sanctuary for aids ridden, crazy transvestites.

I laughed pretty hard!

What is a honk though?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Sorry ...autocomplete

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
But seriously though, to be a dick I would answer yes to all these questions.
Kind of like on surveys when it asks for sex I cross out the check boxes and write sure.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I am mostly a computer person but
once and awhile I like to go to the
library, look thru the books and check
1 or 2 out. It reminds me of the old
days when I went to the library very
often. I think after you visit a particular
library for a while they get to know a
little about what your like and your
name and address. That in my opinion
is all they need to know. I wouldn't even
consider answering person questions
even if it meant they take my library card.
Its an invasion of privacy, plain and simple!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
So...this is what they are doing in the library system in the UK.....I don't think it is right......it is an invasion of privacy....I live in downtown Seattle, WA and very close to the big library here.....when you get a card there you just have to show your picture ID and give a home phone number....and as long as you are good mannered and pay any library fines...you are good to go!

It says in the article that when a person in the UK wants to join a library...this questionnaire is requested....so....does the person have a choice to answer the questions or not.? If they say no and they don't want to answer the questions...can they still get a library card?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thats my question as well. Even if it is not required I still think that the questions asked are far to personal for a library to be asking.

Also, we live close!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Libraries really don't have anything to offer me anymore. Google and ATS are my libraries now.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The last time I got serious about the library was about ten years ago. I was looking for some reference books on electronic design. Figuring that electronics is arguably the fastest evolving and most competitive technology in the world, I expected to see shelves of advanced material.

Nope. Seven books, the newest one published in 1978.

Libraries need some common sense not your panty size.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
For those who didn't read that far (or have reading-comprehension problems--which apparently about 70% of ATS readers do): Yes, the questionnaires are optional. Nonetheless, it does reflect the misguided modern notion of "political correctness" and everything that that loaded term implies.

How mid-level Western bureaucracies have come to these absurd conclusions about how to serve their demographics would no doubt make a fascinating study in itself....

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Islington Council stressed that the questions were “optional”.

Very true. From same source as OP. I don't know why I skimmed over that.

Still think this is creepy.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I agree that the governments are asking too many inappropriate questions, questions that shouldnt be asked nore should they have to be answered, but just like metaldemon stated and i quote....

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
But seriously though, to be a dick I would answer yes to all these questions.

I agree. I would be a dick too
( half of you would agree i am already a dick
)
I, living in Australia, just had to fill out my census form.
Im my census, i informed the government that JEDI was my religion.
I also stated, That i speak 5 different languages, even though i only know how to speak english. ( and im not very good at that)
And that i have several women sleeping over at my house every night. ( I dont, but i wish
)
Plus many more lies.
I dont like the fact that these questions are asked,,,,, but,,,,, we do have a choice of how we answer them.
And seriously, i cant imagine a library clerk asking a transvestite to show them their genitals,( or lack of genitals) before handing over a library card

edit on 28-8-2011 by meathed because: Im a dick

edit on 28-8-2011 by meathed because: grammar

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Just another data mining technique by "big brother" which they then cross-reference and correlate with everything else, including, but not limited to--- internet surfing habits, anything we buy with a credit/debit card, foods purchased with food stamp card, reading habits. All this so that "big brother" can build a better profile of each and every one of us in order to "serve" us better.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I love my books and you just can't replace lying in bed at night with a good book but I must say they really do need to keep up with the latest books. I call my local library the Antique Library!

I would strongly object to answering these Qs - they have no right to know.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
its another ticking of boxes exercise so the council can show that they are taking steps to ensure no discrimination is happening when the auditors come around every few years

these days virtually everything government based has to prove its not being discriminatory or risk losing its funding and proving that they are doing that is much easier with a big pile of paperwork behind you

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
hi op

councils have been cutting spending the last few years
i see a more sinister picture

if there is no libraries then we have to get our info from the net
then we wont know what the truth really is
because our dear government will be throwing even more crap at us

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I had to laugh - hilarious!

Libraries belong to City Councils, and City Councils belong to the people of that city.

So I would have to ask Councillors the following questions:

Do you have AIDS?

Have you had a sex change?

Are you cheating on your spouse?

Are you a serial murderer?

Do you owe a library fine?

What a waste of time (and taxpayers' money).

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The local library where i live isn't bad for fiction, but the non fiction is mostly a big waste of time. about 1/3 of it is either arts related and environmentalism material. Its way out of proportion. At my last visit i was looking for some books on gardening, farming, carpentry, etc and found nothing what so ever. Not exactly a center for knowledge and a backup incase the internet finally becomes an online shopping mall and propaganda system only.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
And I forgot another few questions for Councillors:

Are you schizophrenic?

Have you murdered your wife?

Are you a sexual deviant?

Are you totally nuts? Actually, no need to ask that question.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join