It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked cable: John McCain pushed to arm Qadhafi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

A leaked U.S. diplomatic cable shows that Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain promised to help Libyan dictator Muammar Qadhafi obtain U.S. military hardware in 2009. The cable, released by the open information group WikiLeaks, reveals the pledge came at meeting that was attended by other prominent members of Congress, including Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.).

In the meeting, Muatassim Qadhafi, the Libyan leader’s fifth son and national security adviser, requested U.S. assistance in obtaining military supplies, both lethal and non-lethal.

The cable indicates that McCain was the dominant voice among the congressional delegation in a push for military hardware for Qadhafi.

“Sen. McCain assured Muatassim that the United States wanted to provide Libya with the equipment it needs for its … security,” according to the cable.

Read more: www.politico.com...

That's right! You read it correctly! Seems like they may have had an eye on Libya even back then. It is very interesting in context and what Mccain said later on also sticks out to me as being a very suspicious and telling remark:

McCain struck a distinctly different tone this week, telling Fox’s Greta van Susteren that “he [Muammar Qadhafi] has the blood of Americans on his hands as a result of Pan Am 103. He is a person who over time would — if he were able to succeed — would clearly train terrorists and export terrorism.”

www.politico.com...

In light of recent developments this seems incredibly corrupt and it seems interesting that they're now trying to kill this man when only a couple of years earlier they were trying to load him up with weapons for his.....security. How long did they have their eyes on Libya? Was this an earlier precursor to the current situation? Seems very suspicious to me.......especially when we.......

Don't negotiate with Terrorists!!

edit on 28-8-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Blown slightly out of proportion:

McCain said that he understood the need for Libya to upgrade its existing ranks of C-130 Hercules aircraft. Libya had bought eight of the military cargo aircraft in the 1970s, but as bilateral relationships with the United States deteriorated, a ban of arms sales prevented the aircraft from being moved to North Africa.

McCain pledged to do what he could to move the issue forward in Congress. McCain stressed that Libya needed to fulfill its commitments of giving up its weapons of mass destruction in order for bilateral engagement to go forward. Read more: www.politico.com...

Ever heard of negotiations? We'll let you have this, give us that....

Rogers also justified what McCain said in the diplomatic note by noting that the meeting came “at a time when Muammar Qaddafi was taking positive steps to give up his nuclear weapons programs and related materials and to renounce terrorism.” Read more: www.politico.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Totally, although it seems odd in light of this:

He is a person who over time would — if he were able to succeed — would clearly train terrorists and export terrorism.”

If he was such a dangerous dictator then under Iraq standards they should have invaded back then right? Especially with Mccain 'pushing the issue forward in congress' I feel that there was quite obviously a suspicious agenda......

The phrase "we don't negotiate with terrorists" comes to mind......
edit on 28-8-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Nice find.

Seems like American Politics is the Trojan horse of the world.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Qaddafi isn't a terrorist.

Do a bit more research on him.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
twitter.com...#!/senjohnmccain/status/3331878099

Well there's a tweet about Gadalfi from John McCain himself.
Seems to back up the article and the criticism

By John McCain (since I can't get the link to work right, its tweet number can be read though if anyone wants to verify:

Late evening with Col. Qadhafi at his "ranch" in Libya - interesting meeting with an interesting man.

edit on 29-8-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Lights on. Rats out.

GO Ron Paul.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Nothing new, they are all just tools for the Empire..
Once they have served their purpose they are disposed of..

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

I kinda meant by US standards, a bit of parody there.

reply to post by backinblack

Oh totally, just a really great example of it given recent events......
edit on 29-8-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Libya's Chemical Weapons were likely provided by....that's right...us. Back then we were friends.

The Chemical Weapons Convention said Libya's Chemical Weapon stockpile was supposed to be destroyed by April 2011.

So the US sent millions to Libya to dispose of the Chemical Weapons.....then McCains over there in 2009 trying to get ole Gaddafi to give some money back for military arms...ha ha ha ha ha!

Poor poor Libya.

Even after they're decimated they are going to be enslaved for decades for the LOAN they will have to take from us....to destroy the Chemical Weapons we gave them long ago......boy those Libyan's are some suckers aren't they?

Good going McCain....play the stupid.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Excellent find!

I'm guessing Mccain will probably say his twitter account was hacked into!

edit on 29-8-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Totally brutal when you lay it out isn't it?

Really reminds me of confessions of an economic hit man, it's the one where that guy explains how they'd go in and make really generous evaluations of the economy, give poor country loans they can't pay then basically extort them into giving US companies the rights to their commodities and natural resources, even going so far as to private the water and driving the costs to absurd amounts. If they wouldn't accept the loans or do business then they would get rid of the leader either by a) attempting to stage a coup and bringing in the jackals, b) Assassinating them, or c) Sending in the military when all else fails (Iraq).

So yeah, we're seeing some interesting things happening right now in relation to this don't you think?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I am going to have to go and read the entire cable. In my opinion, we shouldn't believe any of the spin that is put on this story, and rely strictly on what the cable itself reveals. Of course if damning evidence like this came out there would be media networks and politicians and friends attempting to "justify" these actions. This is why I say don't believe any spin that is put on this story.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is the very nature of politics.

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. You supply me with machine guns, and I'll promise to let you launch blackops from my region of the middle east. etc....

Remeber a guy named Saddam?

Remember a little place called Afghanistan? We armed them to fight the Soviets, and now they use the same hardware to kill our troops.

Life has a funny way of coming back to haunt you, oh yeah and no good deed goes unpunished.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Hmm, I wonder how much MSM attention this will be getting in the next couple of weeks. It's crazy that so much stuff goes on in the shadows that the regular old joes know nothing about.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
In all reality it would have been better to arm ghaddafi.

These "rebels" that are taking over drafted a constitution based on (drumroll please) sharia law.

So no doubt the "new libya" will become an even larger hotbed for extremists and western christian hating muslims.

It doesnt matter even if we did help them get they want, they just use us and move on. Its just another new Afghanistan, first we help em beat russians, they turn, we fight taliban, they turn.

repeat that cycle for syria as well

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This is not surprising in the least. He's a woman abuser and a corrupt politician. I'd even go so far as to doubt his prisoner of war history.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
So...? are they also involved with the Cartel gun running to Mexico too?
... Seems like their MO....true blooded Sellout American liers!
Bet their in deep with that!
And the BP oil spill cover up still happening.also Partying with the Brother & Sister Marcos vacation queen....The Leader of the stupid voters... , Mr Hanky The Christmas Poop!!!
Bet it most be tough to keep the walls clean in there!!!!...lols

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
back then extremist terrorist (people Libya did not cator to) were a priority. Now-a-days we have them as ambassadors.

Abrams tanks for everybody!

Libya needed protected from its current situation, not wiped out to add another "Axis of evil" to the realm. There is a huge monopoly happening arond the middle east and north africa that will rock your socks soon.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Nothing shocking. We have been doing business with Libya. Just like we did business with the Taliban and just like we did business with Iraq. We always do business with these countries, then we go bomb them. That's what we call "spreading Democracy".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join