It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematics Is Wrong. Here's Why.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Isn't Zero multiplied by infinity...zero?¿

Just checking.

0∞=0 ?

edit on 29-8-2011 by musicjunkie because: fun

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Let a not equal b.

0*a = 0*b = 0

(0 times anything is 0)

Now divide the left equation by 0, supposing it was possible.

You get a = b.

Also infinity is not a number. Get your sophist arguments outta here.
edit on 29-8-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by musicjunkie
Isn't Zero multiplied by infinity...zero?¿

Just checking.

Infinite is not a number. But if a limit approaches zero and another limit gets bigger and bigger, you would have to test which one is faster. This is Le'Hospital's rule,

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigsizzle
three friends go to get something to eat. the total for their meal is $25. the three men each have a $10 bill. so, the waitress comes with a check, each man pays with a $10 bill. the change is $5. they tell the waitress to each give them back one dollar and she could keep the other two. so...each man pays $10, and receive one dollar back.....meaning each man paid nine dollars. 9x3=27. the waitress got a two dollar tip. 27+2=29. where did the other dollar go?

They each paid $9. 3*9 = 27. Then the waitress took two 27-2=25.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
zero is a number that has no value

Zero means nothing, zero means dead, zero means non existent

Infinity is everything, infinity is all possibilities, infinity is never ending

E.g lets pretend we are playing tekken or some video game
if you can only stand 10 punches to the faces till your character is dead/knocked out
I punch you once you have 9 punches left
i punch you twice you have 8 punches left
i punch you thrice you have 7 punches left
I punch you 9 times and you only have one punch left
i punch you 10 times and you are dead ............... you life count reaches zero, there is nothing left, you have met your end or you have met your zero.

Now infinity is the complete opposite,
it would be like having a cheat to have infinite life, never runs out never can be damaged.

Punch 1 does fak all
punch 2 is just as pathetic as punch 1

and you will never meet zero.

Now the reason i have said the above because it seems as though you think that infinity and zero are the same thing, when in fact they are the complete opposite! Totally and utterly the complete opposites!

If you were not implying this then i am sorry and will accept my wasted time.

Peace

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

yeah your right.....

its subtract two not add two..

27 + 2 = 29

but

we have already taken 3 off of the total

30 - 3 = 27

27 - 2 = 25

25 = the total bill

Very tricky one but very obvious at the same time

That dollar in a sense is given to the waitress.
edit on 29-8-2011 by ShadowZion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowZion
reply to post by 547000

yeah your right.....

its subtract two not add two..

27 + 2 = 29

but

we have already taken 3 off of the total

30 - 3 = 27

27 - 2 = 25

25 = the total bill

Very tricky one but very obvious at the same time

That dollar in a sense is given to the waitress.
edit on 29-8-2011 by ShadowZion because: (no reason given)

I'll admit when I first tried understanding the problem months ago I spent a long time trying to figure it out because the given operation seemed right to me.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Great thread, and good job in challenging the standing idea, i bet math would be a lot easier too if we used the true math, and not the wrong math the government and clueless masses, deems to be right.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

zero is zero. Zero has no value. Infinity has a value. Your argument is meaningless.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
i posted something similar a few months back. you may want to take a look op.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

i agree there is something odd about math. it does feel incomplete the reason is because it doesn't follow the balance pattern which is the perfect pattern. math is trying to simulate that pattern but it is falling short.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Well, forgetting infinity for a moment, I recently realised too that 0 is not really something which could be considered a number since it means that there is nothing.

Therefore, to count to "10", you have

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (one "nine" plus "nothing" units)

but the problem is, in base 10, by saying 9+nothing (10) , we really mean 9 + 1. But Zero means a lack of something. So zero (as a symbol) changes its meaning as soon as you get away from 0.

edit on 29-8-2011 by blackhatchet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Wow, my head hurts really bad after reading that thread, as far as I'm concerned I'm sticking with 1+1=2

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackhatchet
Well, forgetting infinity for a moment, I recently realised too that 0 is not really something which could be considered a number since it means that there is nothing.

Therefore, to count to "10", you have

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (one "nine" plus "nothing" units)

but the problem is, in base 10, by saying 9+nothing (10) , we really mean 9 + 1. But Zero means a lack of something. So zero (as a symbol) changes its meaning as soon as you get away from 0.

edit on 29-8-2011 by blackhatchet because: (no reason given)

10 is interpreted as 1 ten and 0 ones. 356 is 3 hundreds, 5 tens, and 6 ones. It's a position based notation for representing numbers.

The positive integers 1, 2, 3, 4, ... are called natural numbers. All other types of numbers are abstractions made by men. Hence many people say that "God created the natural numbers and the rest are man's handiwork" or something to that effect.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
>MFW if mathematics was wrong, everything we are using today would fail. If math was wrong, you wouldn't be able to go on the internet to type this ridiculous thread.
0 is nothing, none, nada, zilch. NOTHING.
Infinity means it goes on forever, 0 means nothing. What's so hard to understand about that?
You can't divide something by nothing. You can't take nothing away from something.
Also, MFW you know nothing about math.
edit on 29-8-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
you have a point But!
0 is nothingness.
like an absolute vacuum. its empty.
infinity is limitless.
has a never ending end??
like saying a circle has an end.
infinity is counting and NEVER stopping.
you can Not define infinity.
because infinity Never stops.
so you can Not say (n) = infinity.
as infinity = (that eight that fell over!)
its like being in a ship in space.
that never stops and Never hits any thing.
it will travel for an infinite distances.
at NO point can you measure the distances.
and say That is infinity. as you are still moving.
and you will never stop. never end the journey.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Hmmm... I "somewhat" agree with your premise on the mathematical system being "skewed", however (in my experiences) I find it not to be "wrong", but simply "flawed".. and this flaw creeps up whenever one chooses to represent "0" and or "infinity"..

In my case, I have (however) found a way to Quantify Infinity (QI) that is to say "make it do work" , and a byproduct of this process. lead to the development of a means to add, subtract, multiply, and divide zero itself, without any further issues cropping up with the flaw that is inherent within the realm of linear mathematical operatives, and operations..

You can currently divide zero within the realm of a CPU, however the results is an infinite loop, this result is so abhorrent to the way the processor operates, that it even has hardwired programming to prevent this state form happening..

The flaw itself with zero, shows up when you simply try to do the following basic operative "operation" -1 - +1 ..

Of course one should already see that it equals "zero", however the hardwired features prevent it from happening (which would result in the computer simply shutting down).. in reality, this flaw is so apparent within any type of math processor, co-processor, and even in the simplistic calculator, that it has been "severely" overlooked.. you see. the value will not be zero, but actually be -2 or +2 depending on the "lead" numerical number itself..

No.. I believe you are on the right track, however it is not (in my humble opinion) a situation of mathematics being "wrong" per'se, just being slightly "flawed" in execution and (more importantly) in rule structuralism..

To myself, it is a matter of not enough of a refined set of rules, to correct for the flaws themselves (well to be honest, that was the case until I designed a means to quantify infinity that is)..

Here is the basic formula, broken down to add, subtract, and divide, leveraging the flaw in the mathematical operatives of the cpu (which will give you the means to add, subtract, multiply, and divide for zero, while leaving zeros "Nature" remaining intact, as well as being able to leverage QI itself)..

And here is the original size..

i.imgur.com...

As I said.. I do agree, but also "disagree" as to the root cause of it's issues..

Glad to see someone else beginning to deal with Infinity, and zero (long overdue in my opinion)

James..

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I was just wondering. Op, have you been reading the armaggeddon conspiracy site? Or... Are you one of them? Your remarks regarding zero and infinity look similar to some articles there. Just wondering...

Have a nice day

ps: excuse if this has been touched before. Didn't read all pages

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
The problem that you're grappling with is not anything new. Traditionally this conundrum about the existence of zero is called "ZENO's PARADOX" whilst the conundrum as regards the existence of infinity is commonly referred to as RELIGIOUS THEOLOGY. Both are PHILOSOPHICAL. Mathematics alone cannot explain everything. Thus mathematicians are the most brain dead idiotic in existence. Mathematics holds to the belief that "If it cannot be mathematised then it does not exist". As your thread introduction states, there are things in existence, such as infinity and zero, that cannot be mathematised. However, as we all agree, zero and infinity actually do exist, even though mathematics cannot quantify them. Thus "Quantum Physics". being only that which can be mathematically quantified, is therefore fundamentally faulty in all of its calculations, because they are simply ignoring the existence of zero and infinity. My definition of GOD is what the mathematicians call INFINITY. Temporal infinity and spatial infinity. The One Absolute. Is it therefore logical to refer to temporal and spatial infinity as the number one ? Thus all existence that is temporally and spatially finite is thus a fraction of the number one ? Thus all that really exists is the number zero and the number one. "It is logical Captain". Binary Code rules the Cosmos. Yin or Yang. Infinitely small and infinitely big all are a mere fraction of the number one. Other numbers do not exist. Only the number one exists. What we are thinking of as being zero, cannot be quantified, thus it is a mere fraction of the number one [the infinite] all in accordance with Zeno's Paradox. Yang, the solid bar, is the One, the infinity. The Yin, the broken bar, is the zero, or more correctly the fraction of the One. Yang is the feminine, whilst the Yin is the masculine. Or to put it another way, the Yang is stationary, but the Yin is moving. Yang is One and Yin is Zero.

In order to calculate anything the mathematician first has to establish a point of reference that will act as a calibration point. One such calibration point is the entirely arbitrary "angstrom" also known as the speed of light. One is the wave length of light and the other is the speed of propagation. Thus "relativity physics" is created. The speed of light is merely relative to the field of reference being adopted by the observer. We must not fall into the mathematicians trap of thinking that energy cannot transmit at anything greater than the speed of light. There must be energies transmitting at infinitely greater than the speed of light. In deed the existence of "Quantum Entanglement" is proof of the existence of such infinite velocity. In reality this "infinite velocity" is better comprehended as being higher dimensionality. Albert Einstein called it "The Folding of the Fabric of Time and Space". Ancient Egyptians called this phenomenon "Star Gate" and taught that our every thought is a "Star Gate" communion with the One Infinity. The word "Intelligence" derives from this "Star Gate" meaning > Intelli = to communicate < > g = with < > ent = entirety or infinity or entity < In this regard our every thought is a form of time travel and teleportation. Russian scientists call it "bi-location" meaning to be in two place at the same time. Actually we are only in one location at any given instant, however we are oscillating between the two location in time and space. We perceive our ego and physical flesh as being at the centre of the Cosmos. It being our relative point of reference. However, in a Cosmos that is Infinite surely there cannot be a central point. Except in our temporal and spatial psychosis, which I hope that you're beginning to realise is a total insanity.

The law that I live by and which is holding us all bonded is called PRAECEPTAE CAELENIUM (tm). I did not read it in a book. You will not find it in any book. It was revealed to me by audio clairvoyance during the celebrations of the New Millennium in 2000. Summed up it basically means no sex and no drugs and no violence. (1) From eternity to eternity, infinity to infinity, there be the One Absolute. The One True God. Her names are many but she be the one true God there be no other God. The one judge there be no other judge. (2) La Deus Nostra, Notre Dame, Our Lady, The Holy Spirit, the cause the maker Cosmica. (3) Angelic [celestial immortal] powers of truth and beauty and righteousness be sure to be loving Her Holiness Above with all your mind and with all your heart and with all your strength. (4) So as to be pleasing to Her Holiness Above therefore do not be serving the masculine. (5) Do not be and do not allow masculinity into positions of government. (6) Honour and respect the virgin pureness of the christae. (7) Honour and respect the Immaculate Conception [parthenogenesis] reproductive process of the christae. (8) Do not fornicate or adulterate or sodomize. (9) Do not bully or torture or murder. (10) Do not lie. (11) Do not steal. (12) Do not be covetous. (13) Do not be jealous. Copyright (c) NGL 2000.

Recommended reading material.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89be64c7b7a0.jpg[/atsimg]

Recommended music album.

Recommended music website.

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS
edit on 29/8/2011 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Inf + n = N ?! makes no sense...how do you figure?

0 is like the void. Non existence or maybe singularity. I under stand your angle but....

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
0=the death of all numbers and oranges.
You can't ad 1 to 0 because there is no 1.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join