It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematics Is Wrong. Here's Why.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
You should read the book, "Zero: the biography of a dangerous idea". It would be very interesting considering your thinking about zero and infinity. He shows you some math tricks, like how to make 1=0. He also gives a History lesson on mathematics, and how different society's counted and did their math.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigsizzle
three friends go to get something to eat. the total for their meal is $25. the three men each have a $10 bill. so, the waitress comes with a check, each man pays with a $10 bill. the change is $5. they tell the waitress to each give them back one dollar and she could keep the other two. so...each man pays $10, and receive one dollar back.....meaning each man paid nine dollars. 9x3=27. the waitress got a two dollar tip. 27+2=29. where did the other dollar go?

Thats a good one. but since she was given 10x3 not 9x3 it would really happen

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy

Originally posted by smithjustinb

I hope all who read this will seriously consider this form of mathematics as a realistic approach not only to mathematics, but also to reality.

Prove it.
Where is the applied.
Theory and word games are fun and all ... but
Build something with this new [color=gold] realistic approach to mathematics and reality.

David Grouchy

Music? I use math unwittingly in music all the time, where nothing can become infinite.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AudioGhost

I thought I was a loaner, the book is fantastic and I think it could clear alot of the fog withing this discussion. It is good to see we all have similar views. peace to the original poster, your on to something.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
Mathematic understanding is flawed due to its one and only uncertainty that is to divide any number(n) by zero. In that operation, the answer is determined as undefined

Your understanding of division by zero is unfortunately misunderstood. Instead of attempting to divide a number by zero and then immediately pronouncing that you get an ambiguous or undefined or confusing answer, you need to take a few steps back and approach the divide by zero issue from a slightly different point of view.

Sure, if you try to divide say 10 by 0, the answer you get is hard to describe.
So, instead, lets approach this in a slightly different way.

Instead of dividing by 0, lets instead divide by 10 ... and of course the answer is 10/10 = 1. So far so good.
Now, lets use a slightly smaller number say 5 ... we now get an answer of 10/5 = 2.

Continuing in this fashion, let's now divide by 3 ... and we get 10/3 = 3.3333 (recurring).

Do you see whats happening here ? We're picking numbers that are getting closer and closer to zero and our answers are steadily getting bigger ... so far we've used 10, then 5 and now 3. And our answers are 1, 2 and 3.3333

Lets now get even closer to zero without actually using zero itself, and see what happens to our answers.

Next we'll try dividing by 2 ... and we get 10/2 = 5.
Next we'll try dividing by 1 ... and we get 10/1 = 10.
Next we'll try dividing by 0.5 ... and we get 20.

Lets go even smaller and divide by 0.05 ... and we get 10/0.05 = 200.
Now try 0.0000005 .... and we get 10 / 0.0000005 = 20,000,000
And finally we'll use a very small number thats even closer to zero, say 0.000000000000000000005 which gives an answer of 20,000,000,000,000,000 .... pretty darn big, huh !!!

So whats the lesson to be learned here ?
As can be seen from the examples above, dividing by zero is a special case that doesn't by itself give us any idea of what the answer is ... assuming there's an answer at all.

But as we can see, by using a big enough starting number to divide by, then gradually making it smaller and smaller and smaller and trying to get as close to zero as possible, we see that the answer we get simply gets bigger and bigger and bigger. So the closer we get to zero, the bigger our answer becomes !

So dividing by zero isn't so mysterious at all ... it's simply a mathematical case where the answer we get grows bigger and bigger as we get closer and closer to zero itself ... without actually hitting zero.

In mathematical lingo, the answer tends to infinity as we approach a limit of zero.
edit on 29/8/11 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I fail to see how anything in your post shows why math is wrong. You cannot add a number to infinity, because by definition infinity would already include that number. You can add something that it's already a part of.

Besides, as someone else said in the thread, you are arguing semantics, not mathmatics. What would your theory actually change? What practical applications would it actually have? My guess is none, as this whole thread is based on the fallacy of taking a model (math) and treating at the thing it's supposed to represent, instead of just a model. You can't try to squeeze universal truths about the Universe into a mathematical representation of infinity. Math is just a model we use to understand things, no more, no less.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
OP, here's my understanding:

Zero = nothing
Infinity= So much that it's impossible to count or measure.

2 separate ends of the spectrum. Not the same thing. The maths are correct, the thread is flawed.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I have to disagree math is very accurate. Here I can show you a perfect example.

Given:
Women = Time*Money
Time = Money
Money = √Evil (Money is the root of evil)

We can now solve this equation as such:

Women = Money*Money
Women = Money^2
Women = (√Evil)^2
Women = Evil

So based on this simple proof, I will have to say math is spot on.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by byeluvolk

Given:
Women = Time*Money
Time = Money
Money = √Evil (Money is the root of evil)

We can now solve this equation as such:

Women = Money*Money
Women = Money^2
Women = (√Evil)^2
Women = Evil

This leaves love out of the equation.

Love Women = Money*Money
Love Women = Money^2

Time Women = Love Money^2
Time Women = (√Evil)^2
Time = evil.

David Grouchy

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

I'm no scientist or mathematician, but I can tell you that the UFO phenomenon is real.

When you say "prove it, build something with it."

Maybe it doesn't apply well to our 3D world, but whoever builds the UFOs may employ a 'metaphysical' or different type of mathematics.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join