It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lemon Mascarpone Crepes w/ Mixed Berry Compote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Wonderful crepes for dessert or breakfast, great for the season up here in the northeast of the U.S.

Crepe batter:
1 cup AP flour
2 eggs
1 tbsp. wild flower honey
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
approx. 2 cups milk

Sift flour and salt into a medium sized mixing bowl, crack the eggs. Mix the eggs and dry ingredients together with a whisk or a handmixer ( I prefer the whisk, but I generally feel prouder of my food the more physical labor I put into it). Add the milk while whisking in a steady stream, I don't measure my milk exactly, I just pour it in until it reaches the consistency of heavy cream. Add the honey and vanilla extract, whisk until all ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth and creamy. Refrigerate for atleast 1 hour.

While the batter is cooling:
Filling:
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 oz mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon

Whip the heavy cream and sugar until it reaches soft peaks. Whip the mascarpone with the zest and juice until smooth and creamy. Fold both ingredients together gently until well incorporated. Gently is key so you don't lose the filling's volume. Refrigerate.

While both the batter and filling are cooling:
Compote:
1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
1 1/4 cups fresh raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp Creme de Cassis (or brandy, or neither, this ingredient is optional, but I enjoy the extra flavor)

Dissolve the sugar in the water, place in a sauce pot over medium heat. Add half the blueberries and half the raspberries, let simmer for 7-10 minutes. Add the rest of the berries, let simmer for a minute or two and take off heat.

To make the crepes: Take a small non-stick pan, add about 1/2 oz of oil on medium heat. Wait for the pan to get nice and hot, add about 2 oz of crepe batter to the middle of the pan and tilt the pan in a clockwise rotation until the batter has covered the pan and gone up the sides a little bit. Let cook for about 2 minutes until golden brown, take a spatula and flip the crepe, letting the other side brown. This side will take much less time, only about a minute.

Put the compote on very low heat, fill the crepes with as much filling as you'd like, roll them up, and ladle the warm compote over top. Top with whip cream if you'd like! Enjoy!

join