It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Double Feature: Comets Elenin & Garradd Now Showing in Night Sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Comet Elenin now showing.
Source

At present, comet Elenin is too close to the sun to be viewed from the Northern Hemisphere, though observers south of the equator may catch it low in the western sky after sunset. Northern observers' turn will come after the comet passes the sun and starts back out towards the Oort Cloud.In the last few days of September, Elenin will separate from the sun in our morning sky. It will be visible in binoculars in the morning sky for all of October, and we will publish finder maps then.

Comet Garradd graces the sky.

The other bright comet in the night sky hasn't received the publicity of comet Elenin but is actually a better opportunity for skywatchers. This is comet Garradd (C2009 P1), which was discovered on Aug. 13, 2009 by Australian astronomer G. J. GarraddComet Garradd is very easy for any experienced skywatcher to locate and observe with binoculars. Currently it is just south of the small but well-known constellation of Sagitta, the arrow. This arrow-shaped constellation is right in the middle of the summer triangle formed by the bright stars Vega, Deneb, and Altair. On Wednesday (Aug. 24), Garradd was right under the tip of the arrow.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I currently don't have a telescope to view either comet,but if someone reading this does would you be so inclined and checking to see if Elenin has a tail?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
reply to post by Daedal

I currently don't have a telescope to view either comet,but if someone reading this does would you be so inclined and checking to see if Elenin has a tail?

Can someone also check to see if it is a giant spaceship with reptilians or possibly a large brown dwarf star as well?

Thanks.

Signed -Boncho

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

They got here ready last year

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
There is one in every thread.
Never fails.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I am so tired of Elenin threads and all of the fearmongering that comes with it.

Why can't it just be a comet?
edit on 30-8-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thread double feature : ats thread

With lashings of delicious doom and gloom....

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
wrong post
edit on 31-8-2011 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Yes I wonder why someone changed the name of this one after you posted it as another title ? Its a first 'double' feature i have seen on ats.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Don't forget to look for any bubbles that may also be in the solar system and headed for earth as well. We need to find out a lot more about these space bubbles. Are they benevolent or malevolent all the things we need to know?

I thought Elenin got pulsed into a differed direction ?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]I am so tired of Elenin threads and all of the fearmongering that comes with it.

Why can't it just be a comet?
edit on 30-8-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

i dont see the point of your post..

this is a forum, its a place to discuss all kinds of things...

why do you click on elenin threads if your so tired of them?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Just had a look at Garradd through my Celestron 8".

It's really faint. Optically, it's not much, but it would photograph well if I was so-equipped.

I'm not.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Today's Astronomy Picture of the Day is a very pretty 10-minute exposure of Garradd.

Here is a gallery of Garradd photos.

top topics

join