It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

ancient volcanos waking up in CA

page: 1
8
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Could dutchsense have been on to something? I know these are different areas however it is volcanic activty none the less. I wonder if yellowstone is very active right now of course we would never be told about that one. Anyhow this may be something to watch at least imo
theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...




posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips
 


What do earthquakes have to do with dormant volcanos waking up?

That makes as much sense as saying "there were earthquakes so Disney is raising their prices at theme parks."

Totally not related.


+7 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32
 


The swarm of quakes was centered around Pinnacles, CA where there is an extinct volcano. Most volcanos have earthquakes prior to volcanic activity, so ah......that is why the thread. Are you being obtuse on purpose? Would not be a shock from you, I suppose.
edit on 28-8-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32
 

Hey not to sound disrespectful but it dosen't appear that you are a new member here. I think I'm missing something with your logic? Are you saying that volcanos and shifting tectonic plates have nothing to do with each other?
Everything I have read and been taught about Volacanic activity and Earthquakes tells me that there is a definate corolation between the two. unless I'm missing something? Please expand upon your opinion. I am always open minded to look at things from the other side of the fence...

With much respect
Red



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by AllUrChips
 


What do earthquakes have to do with dormant volcanos waking up?

That makes as much sense as saying "there were earthquakes so Disney is raising their prices at theme parks."

Totally not related.



Both most commonly form at plate boundaries so they are related.

"Earthquakes can also trigger landslides, and occasionally volcanic activity."
"Earthquakes are caused mostly by rupture of geological faults, but also by other events such as volcanic activity"
"Earthquake swarms can serve as markers for the location of the flowing magma throughout the volcanoes. These swarms can be recorded by seismometers and tiltmeters (a device that measures ground slope) and used as sensors to predict imminent or upcoming eruptions."

From WikiPedia - Earthquakes



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by AllUrChips
 


What do earthquakes have to do with dormant volcanos waking up?

That makes as much sense as saying "there were earthquakes so Disney is raising their prices at theme parks."

Totally not related.


sorry, its going to take more than a pretty face to argue your point. Heres my PROOF, wheres yours?

www.sciencedaily.com...



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by redzareptile
reply to post by kro32
 

Hey not to sound disrespectful but it dosen't appear that you are a new member here. I think I'm missing something with your logic? Are you saying that volcanos and shifting tectonic plates have nothing to do with each other?
Everything I have read and been taught about Volacanic activity and Earthquakes tells me that there is a definate corolation between the two. unless I'm missing something? Please expand upon your opinion. I am always open minded to look at things from the other side of the fence...

With much respect
Red

No, you nailed it.



Earthquakes related to volcanic activity may produce hazards which include ground cracks, ground deformation, and damage to manmade structures. There are two general categories of earthquakes that can occur at a volcano: volcano-tectonic earthquakes and long period earthquakes.

Source


+9 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
kro, sometimes you make about as much sense as a steak on a ham sandwich. :shk:

If a dormant volcano was to reactivate, what would be one of the first things to occur? The injection of magma into its chamber, or the heating and rising of magma from a previously semi-molten, or solid chamber. In fact, recent studies have shown that a dormant volcano can become active over a very short period (much shorter than previously thought), because molten rock can heat up solid rock very fast. And what does this usually cause in one form or another? Earthquakes. Volcanic seismicity.

As to the topic at hand, has anyone seen the scientists say anything about these recent quakes near Mammoth Lakes being caused by magma injection or movement? I haven't. So far, seems to be normal faulting...



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Earthquakes will happen prior to volcanic activity due to magma shifts and gases being released however extinct volcanos have no impact on earthquakes. To determine if the earthquakes are related to volcanic activity there will be many other signs such as temp change, gas mixture fluctuating, rise in land things of that nature. Yellowstones earthquakes are related to the volcano but this isn't.



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by AllUrChips
 


What do earthquakes have to do with dormant volcanos waking up?

That makes as much sense as saying "there were earthquakes so Disney is raising their prices at theme parks."

Totally not related.


Also if you actually had read the article and not tried to hurry and get your uneducated disney response in you would have known what the facts are.



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
kro, sometimes you make about as much sense as a steak on a ham sandwich. :shk:

If a dormant volcano was to reactivate, what would be one of the first things to occur? The injection of magma into its chamber, or the heating and rising of magma from a previously semi-molten, or solid chamber. In fact, recent studies have shown that a dormant volcano can become active over a very short period (much shorter than previously thought), because molten rock can heat up solid rock very fast. And what does this usually cause in one form or another? Earthquakes. Volcanic seismicity.

As to the topic at hand, has anyone seen the scientists say anything about these recent quakes near Mammoth Lakes being caused by magma injection or movement? I haven't. So far, seems to be normal faulting...


Hi True!!!! We really gonna have this debate again? Might as well just copy/paste our old ones.



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Earthquakes will happen prior to volcanic activity due to magma shifts and gases being released however extinct volcanos have no impact on earthquakes. To determine if the earthquakes are related to volcanic activity there will be many other signs such as temp change, gas mixture fluctuating, rise in land things of that nature. Yellowstones earthquakes are related to the volcano but this isn't.


Your comments prove nothing.



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Earthquakes in CA? OMG!!!!!!

That's like as unlikely as an ice cream melting in the sun on a very hot day ....... It never ever happens! It must mean we're all gonna die! Right?????

THINK!

edit on 28-8-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Earthquakes will happen prior to volcanic activity due to magma shifts and gases being released however extinct volcanos have no impact on earthquakes. To determine if the earthquakes are related to volcanic activity there will be many other signs such as temp change, gas mixture fluctuating, rise in land things of that nature. Yellowstones earthquakes are related to the volcano but this isn't.


Your right about ancient volcanos not having an effect on earthquakes
However lol earthquakes DO have an effect on ancient volcanos, no wonder your confused



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'll check out the volcano and find out if it's re-activating and is the source of the earthquakes for you when I have some more time. Gotta see if they have it wired up first.

Wanna bet it's not though



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   


One of the numerous things that made this volcano and its eruption bizarre is that Mount St. Helens had a great deal of activity before it officially erupted. The first sign of trouble after its dormant period was on March 20, 1980, at 3:48 pm. A seismograph needle started to quaver at the United States Geological Survey (USGS) University of Washington headquarters. It indicated a substantial earthquake centered twenty miles north of Mount St. Helens. (On the Richter scale, a 3.5 would probably cause slight, localized damage; this trembling was a 4.1). In fifteen to twenty minutes scientists concluded the earthquake had been at Mount St. Helens. They studied the volcano and took geothermal heat readings. By March 25, forty earthquakes per hour were recorded.
reply to post by kro32
 


I live near Mt St.Helens and have experienced Earthquakes in this region. I rember 1980 and hearing the story of the USGS scientist on top of the "dormant" volcano who died reading seismic activity before becoming history.
Edit;
here is the link to the whole article www.angelfire.com...

I think that is pretty good proof of my opinion... The ball is in your court.... Lets see some proof to back up your side.
edit on 28-8-2011 by redzareptile because: I'm sleepy



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Earthquakes in CA? OMG!!!!!!

That's like as unlikely as an ice cream melting in the sun on a very hot day ....... It never ever happens! It must mean we're all gonna die! Right?????

THINK!

edit on 28-8-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

I implore you to read the article its not about just earthquakes in ca. I love how cool and cavalier attitudes will be turned to dust you californians are all the same. You are sooooo tuff. Learn to swim!



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Earthquakes in CA? OMG!!!!!!

That's like as unlikely as an ice cream melting in the sun on a very hot day ....... It never ever happens! It must mean we're all gonna die! Right?????

THINK!

edit on 28-8-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)


Yeah, we are all gonna die! You know it does not hurt to speculate on a swarm of quakes occuring at an extinct volcano. It does not mean we think one way or the other that the swarm is anything special, but there is always the possibility and that's why we look into these things and speculate on them, because of the "could be."

Why not have an ice cream and cool off.



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
sometimes you make about as much sense as a steak on a ham sandwich. :shk:


I dont know that sounds kinda good to me. So does the idea of monitoring earthquakes around volcanoes, dormant or not, as a possible sign that things could be changing



posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
I'll check out the volcano and find out if it's re-activating and is the source of the earthquakes for you when I have some more time. Gotta see if they have it wired up first.

Wanna bet it's not though



No thank you. You have already proved you know nothing on the subject. No more dis-info please



new topics

top topics



 
8
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join