It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange occurances August 27

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
wasn't exactly sure which forum to put this, so i just threw it in general.

i was out camping with my family this weekend, and last night experienced the strangest thing i have ever seen. there was what appeared to be lightning across the sky, but it was a completely clear night and there was no sound of thunder. it went on all night, in the north/northeast part of the sky. i also noticed a lot of satellite movement (or what i guessed was satellites). i was in east central Alberta, if anyone has any ideas i would be grateful.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Could be a satellite or a UFO because there have been a lot of them recently

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

im 13 miles out in the ocean on the southeren new england coast and we see lightining on clear nights out here too. one night we saw what we thought was lightining in the sky and literaly one second after the "lightining" i saw a shooting start and or space trash glide across the sky......can anyone shed light on this?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Upthepunx
reply to post by Rook1545

im 13 miles out in the ocean on the southeren new england coast and we see lightining on clear nights out here too. one night we saw what we thought was lightining in the sky and literaly one second after the "lightining" i saw a shooting start and or space trash glide across the sky......can anyone shed light on this?

That could possibly be a meteorite entering the earth's atmosphere (hence the lightning) followed by what you consider a shooting star (meteorite)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Molimo

The thing is, it went on all night. It was bright blue flashes, exactly like cloud to cloud lightning, but it was a perfectly clear evening. Also, about 10 degrees off of the horizon, there was a strange Orange "star" that didnt move. It wasn't the north star, it was too low, and too bright, and orange. It was the brightest star out last night. It was located in the north northeast part of the sky. Doing a search online I found a post someone in Illinois wrote about seeing the same type of object to their north west, which geographically would what I saw and what they saw in the sakes place.

Since I was camping I didn't have my camera handy, I will be out tonight to see if it is back, and if it is, get some pictures and try to post them.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
There are a lot of little town celebrations going on around me with fireworks. The other night i was looking out the window and off over some distant hills saw what looked like bright flashes of varied colored lights, blue, red, orange, etc. I assumed it was fireworks. There was no noise of thunder and the sky was clear where i was. So i walked up the hill to get a better look and from up there, I was actually able to see the zig-zag flashes of lightening,but until i had gotten to higher area, i thought i was seeing something totally different. So, while i was seeing lightening, that still did not answer why i was seeing the flashes in varying colors.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
We've also seen the same, but a couple of summers ago.

I'd like to know if you hear any birds about.
Looking for a connection to the reported lack of birds, in various parts of the world, this past week.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I believe that what you was witnessing was the Northern Lights (aurora borealis) Every so often we get to see them in the North of Britain so I signed up for the UK's Aurora Watch for when I am up in Cumbria at my in laws house. They send me an Email whenever there is a chance of spotting them, last night (27/08/11) they issued an "Amber Alert" which basically means "Aurora is likely to be visible from Scotland, northern England and Northern Ireland" So if they could be seen at that lattitude last night they could certainly have been visible from your area.

I have witnessed them in the past from two places, once far up in the Northern Hemisphere when I was in the Navy and another time much further south in Cumbria (England). When I witnessed them way up in the North it was spectacular, shimmering lights and waves of Blues and greens. However when I witnessed them from a more southerly location they consisted of Flashes of light that lasted all night long.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
There was a recent announcement of unusually high energy solar flares about 2 weeks ago.

Most likely the magnetosphere doing it's job, absorbing electromagnetic energy from the sun's solar flares.

The lights are caused by the storm's charged particles interacting with the atmosphere causing spectacular auroras ala the Northern Lights.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by avriel

Having lived in northern Alberta for the majority of my life, i can tell you with absolute certainty that it was not the northern lights. Those dance, not flash.

The frequency was around 10-15 between flashes, i saw it go from 9 until about midnight when i went to bed, my wife stayed up until 2 and it was still going on then

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
could be heat lightning.

The term “heat lightning” probably comes from the fact that the effect is most often seen on warm, humid nights during July and August. So an association has been made with sultry temperatures. But when the sky is hazy, as is quite typical on warm, summer nights, the light from intense thunderstorms as far away as 100 miles can be reflected off a layer of haze and up into the night sky

link

new topics

top topics

join