It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Absolute Assurances From NASA About Elenin

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TaxpayersUnleashed

Um They have a number of Vehicles in space now, all the stereo satellites Hubble a few other orbiting obeservation platforms...they can get quit a bit of data and not need the shuttle to explore...

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

I think he/she was referring to vehicles, the kind you ride in, human space ships, shuttles, etc.
If the Orion craft is the shuttle replacement, then we are going backwards.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, Can you inform me as to why the Coma is 200,000km (Larger than Jupiter) in diameter, an Ion tail that is 3 million km long...yet I can clearly see Jupiter at 1am in the morning yet I cannot clearly see Elenin? Hell, I can clearly see Saturn...It just seems strange.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

For one it's south of the ecliptic so unless you're in the southern hemisphere you won't be able to see it until October. Second its coma is not dense so it doesn't really do a good job at reflecting light. However, if you are in the Southern Hemisphere it should be visible with a decent telescope.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skate

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

If that was true, then why did they not care about Erin on "9/11/2001"?

Well I could have sworn 2 big buildings in the United States were bombed and attacked by planes or something like that so that's probably why they didn't care...
The MSM always report about hurricanes days before they reach the shore. If there is indeed hurricane Erin hitting the shore on 9-11, then there should have been warnings days before 9-11.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

As far as I know Erin was never projected to hit the coast. Maybe in its early stages it was, but by the time it got to the Bermudas it would be pretty obvious that it was going to miss not only New York but the entire US by quite a bit. In fact the only time I think it ever actually made landfall was at the tip of Nova Scotia.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by wavemaker

As far as I know Erin was never projected to hit the coast. Maybe in its early stages it was, but by the time it got to the Bermudas it would be pretty obvious that it was going to miss not only New York but the entire US by quite a bit. In fact the only time I think it ever actually made landfall was at the tip of Nova Scotia.

I thought they had these tracks down pat? By the time Erin was dead set on heading for NYC, it was a "major hurricane" with wind speeds of around 110mph and had a prominent eye to it. I remember that day and I lived right above NY in MA on the coast and I have no memory of any 'warnings' or 'alerts' about that hurricane.

The weather report that day was for clear skies? It really was, why the confidence in Erin's 180 and no confidence in Irene's ultimate devastation?
Where was the "better safe than sorry" for Erin? Or 100 other hurricanes?
All we ever got in MA. was "remember to get batteries and flashlights folks, now here's Ted with sports...."
I don't even think they covered sports at all on the news past 3-4 days in NE.

As for Elenin's latest..... they are saying it's disintegrating and won't make perihelion, and we in the northern hemisphere won't be able to see it without a telescope or good binoculars now.
Again with the funny coincidences.

---It's been suspected of being something other than a comet.
---now conveniently when it should have a visible bright tail, it goes dark on us.
---convenient for the official story, almost like they had it all worked out from the get go.

Yeah that's very conspiracy minded of me to say, knowing who I'm dealing with, I say I'm being mild.
Then again, I hope I am way wrong.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

What??? Since when do all scientists ever agree? At least enough to call it a "consensus"? Your description sounds like politics not factual science. The scientists "in the click" have their opinions and "facts" published and plastered all over the TV...Michu Kaku for instance.... while scientists who disagree with the "consensus" are black listed, ridiculed, and shunned by the major corporations and governments.

Did you really consider going into science? You don't seem to understand how it actually works. Scientists publish their findings in peer reviewed journals, which means that the experimental protocols are evaluated and the reasoning behind any new hypothesis or theory is criticized. If there are objections to the author's interpretation after publication, a lively exchange of letters will appear in the journal. This can escalate to mutual snubbing at seminars. It has little to do with mere "cliquishness." It is not the scientist's fault if his or her work captures the public's attention. Most people are woefully ignorant of the latest scientific discoveries. The media tend to favor shocking or frightening theories and discoveries over solid scientific work, and when they do report it, they generally sensationalize it. There are vast areas of consensus throughout the sciences: Newton's laws of motion, Einstein's theory of relativity, Darwin's theory of speciation, plate tectonics and so forth. Do you even actually read any science, or are you exposed to it exclusively through conspiracy websites?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Yes, I live in Adelaide, Sth Australia. I should currently be able to see it...but are you telling me I cannot see it at all with the naked eye?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

When I'm wrong I suck it up and admit my errors

Can we expect that from you come mid October when it passes?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

No you cannot see it with the naked eye. Since its discovery it has been debated whether or not one would be able to see it with the naked eye, with most leaning towards being able to see it with a decent pair of binoculars. Even if it did become a naked eye comet it was going to be very dim. Presently it has a total magnitude of 10.4, which falls outside the range of being a naked eye comet, which I believe is 7.0 and below.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
NASA says the comets closest pass to earth will be in October of this year....and that it will be 22 million miles from earth when this happens.

I think (as far as this comet goes) we are safe.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Sweet, many thanks mate.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

What you just described was political theoretical science, not factual science. A consensus debates on who's theories are the best, then that is published in journals and books as facts. But they're not really facts are they? What they should be called is, "This is what we think we know right now about X, Y, & Z."
THEN I'd be more inclined to have a open ear hearing such brutal honesty coming from such massive egos in suits. Even Einstein's "theories" are still getting attacked by the mainstream, and weirdly the alternative -we are all one- science is started to peak out from hiding into some mainstream articles.

That's just me though, not fitting in, and why I never really fit in with the Mensa crowd or the businessmen, I'm a t-shirt and jeans kind of space junkie who thought the astro math was way too hard.

Originally posted by cluckerspud

When I'm wrong I suck it up and admit my errors

Can we expect that from you come mid October when it passes?

Sure, tell me what exactly I claimed that I may be wrong about? Gimme a quote from me and if it's wrong, you can make a thread about me and Hot Pixels.

edit on 28-8-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Phage, Can you inform me as to why the Coma is 200,000km (Larger than Jupiter) in diameter, an Ion tail that is 3 million km long...yet I can clearly see Jupiter at 1am in the morning yet I cannot clearly see Elenin? Hell, I can clearly see Saturn...It just seems strange.

No offense, but this kind of lack of understanding of such simple concepts is what enables these doomsday conspiracies to take hold. I guess it explains why so many people don't trust science, they don't/can't/won't try to understand it.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

What??? Since when do all scientists ever agree? At least enough to call it a "consensus"? Your description sounds like politics not factual science. The scientists "in the click" have their opinions and "facts" published and plastered all over the TV...Michu Kaku for instance.... while scientists who disagree with the "consensus" are black listed, ridiculed, and shunned by the major corporations and governments.

Did you really consider going into science? You don't seem to understand how it actually works. Scientists publish their findings in peer reviewed journals, which means that the experimental protocols are evaluated and the reasoning behind any new hypothesis or theory is criticized. If there are objections to the author's interpretation after publication, a lively exchange of letters will appear in the journal. This can escalate to mutual snubbing at seminars. It has little to do with mere "cliquishness." It is not the scientist's fault if his or her work captures the public's attention. Most people are woefully ignorant of the latest scientific discoveries. The media tend to favor shocking or frightening theories and discoveries over solid scientific work, and when they do report it, they generally sensationalize it. There are vast areas of consensus throughout the sciences: Newton's laws of motion, Einstein's theory of relativity, Darwin's theory of speciation, plate tectonics and so forth. Do you even actually read any science, or are you exposed to it exclusively through conspiracy websites?

Lets be honest for a second here DJ, science is great, the idea, the practice the execution. It is much needed, it is what separates us for the most part from the dark ages.

With that said, IN FACT, there isn't one fact that science can point to that is actual fact, what it is, is scientific fact. What that is, is our best guess that is well informed until we have data that shows that as being incorrect, which, I might add, happens ALOT!

Not being able to use common sense or think outside the box and blindly following what you think the results of flawed research mean does not make you correct 100% of the time, and speaking of time, all of scientific facts are proved wrong in the future 99.9% of the time.

We are nothing, our knowledge is not even a blip on the radar and while science is needed for our species, one who is blinded by science's inherent ignorance is one who truly will never understand what it is to live.
edit on 28-8-2011 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
NASA understands the power of fear-mongering. In recent times we had the Heaven's Gate incident associated with Comet Hale-Bopp. They are just being responsible and doing what the can to dispell the fear in the hope we don't get a repeat of this hoorible event.

Same with Irene. The government was woefully ill-prepared for Katrina and many people paid the ultimate price. This is the reason behind the over-preparaion and huge coverage in the media.

Yes, sometimes government agencies actually do care about people.

Anyhow, not long now. Elenin reaches perigee on 9/11 and if nothing happens on this date that conicides with the 10 year anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center I think EleninTards will take a huge hit. Of course then they'll say we have to wait until September 26th and when the "Three Days Of Darkness" does not happen we'll be told we really have to wait until October 17th etc etc. Whatever the case, looking forward to November.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

And if you read 2 lines up you'll realise thats why I come here. To ask questions about my own misgivings and get them clarified by people who are more up-to-scratch on the topic.

If it is your purpose to belittle people..maybe grow up.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by Phage

Because:

A) Gas Giants are very dense and reflect a lot of light.

B) The brightness of a comet's coma and tail depends on the chemical makeup of the comet and the size of the coma itself. The smaller the dust particles in the out-gassing the more light the coma reflects.

C) Elenin's 200.000km coma sounds big but is less than average. Hale-Bopp's coma was larger than the sun.

D) Elenin is passing very close to the sun - near Mercury's orbit. Objects this close to the sun are not very visible to the naked eye due to their proximity to the sun.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The MSM were telling us to panic and be prepared

A bit of an oxymoron there but I don't recall anyone calling for panic.

All for what? To avoid the loss of life. The path of hurricanes can be pretty well predicted. Their intensity not quite so much. It was quite well established the path that Irene would take. She could have remained a category 3 as she followed that path. Too bad she didn't, then all that money wouldn't have been wasted. Is that what you mean?

I'm just asking questions like, "how can you be 100% sure ALL the time NASA?"

By learning something about how things in space work. How orbits work. How objects in space can (and can't) affect other objects in space. A comet is more predictable than a hurricane. There are far fewer variables which determine its behavior.

"By learning something about how things in space work. How orbits work. How objects in space can (and can't) affect other objects in space. A comet is more predictable than a hurricane. There are far fewer variables which determine its behavior."

The fact is that NASA failed big time predicting Comet's behavior and that is what is worrying me Agent Phage...

this is the smoking gun :

NASA predicted no visible impact from the probe when hitting the comet when as you can see a nuclear class display was observed.....and this event has been put aside swiftly

here is a thread of mine which I hope you will look into

Did NASA predicted correctly the Collsion with Temple1 Comet ?

I think the OP might even be right on this one since not only NASA does not know how everything work in space..NASA might also has the fundamental base of their knowledge wrong and need to consider the Electrical universe Theory more.

edit on 28-8-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join