It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technology will enable us to live forever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I thought this was a highly intriguing article. It sounds wicked and I hope it becomes true, however it seems awfully like the plot to the TV-series Caprica and Battlestar Galactica (where it ends in the almost extinction of humanity
). The futurist, Ray Kurzweil has a fairly good track record regarding predictions, it seems a bit nuts honestly but I hope it comes true.

Anyway, the article:

Technology will enable us to live forever says futurist

In 25 years' time, according to Kurzweil, our current biotechnologies will be a "billion" times more powerful and cost effective. This will allow us to "reprogram our biology." Our brains will be able to think using computing form the internet. Things like full-emersion virtual reality from within our own nervous systems will be possible.

In addition to improving the internal systems of our bodies, biotechnology would enable us to download our minds onto non-biological forms, which would allow us to live forever, Kurzweil asserts.

"In my mind we're not going to transcend our humanity, we're going to transcend our biology," he said.

Some of his Kurzweil's predictions in the 1980s:
- A world wide web connecting hundreds of millions of people
- The demise of the Soviet Union
- Computer takes World Chess Championship
- Human Genome Project completed

Watch this video of Kurzweil explaining his prediction on the reverse-engineering of the human brain by 2029:

source:
Public Radio International

I think we should call the technology, "Resurrection".

Thanks.
edit on 28/8/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/8/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Hmm, good find! Now maybe I'll get to experience the Living Alive Computer!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
1 word:

Hubris.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It sounds cool.. but we already live forever, we are the universe, if you die your molecules simply form another living being in time.

The memories are gone though and with this we can keep them.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Great!!!
Next on the agenda........Making this a world that is worth living forever IN!!!!!

Honestly?
Who in the hell would want to live forever in this world???
Take your technology and shove it pal.
If you want to impress me,

A. Create some technology that will either make this world worth living forever in or...
B. Make it easier to painlessly and easily remove yourself from this world.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I 'm sure this technology will only be available for the "chosen" few if it does come about.

They will keep it away from the "slaves" they have control over. ... because otherwise they would risk over populating.

Just my opinion..and I wouldn't be surprised if a handful of elites have already been using some form of technology to do this.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I really don't hope this will ever come true.

Think about all the havoc it will create?
If two billion people will live forever from now on, and plus all those who are born. Please, is that a good world?

Can someone please tell me, why this will make the world a better place?

I actually hope that only a few people will get this. But then again, that cant happen forever. It wont turn out good.

I actually can't believe anyone hopes this happens?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The only reason I can see this be used good,
is if astronauts are going to travel very very long. Then of course they would need infinite life span.

Oh, and who wants to see every person around them die?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Sounds a lot like Ghost in The Shell.

I don't want to see such a future either, technology as a god to make us gods, thanks but no thanks.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Imagine... if we could download our mind into a robotic body, we could be superhuman. We could explore space and other planets without needing to breathe. We could spend all day at the bottom of the ocean without an oxygen tank.

We could even fly.

Sign me up.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I would love to be able to live forever, if not a few hundred years longer.

Imagine all the things you could learn, places to travel, languages to master, all the knowledge you could possible gain. Sign me up!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

HMMM I wonder how much wealth I could amass given immortality?
LOL, I'd bet I would need a mass amount just to make use of this tech, probably.
EH, well who wants to live forever? Sounds like it'd get boring esp. for me, since I already know everything I wish to know. There isn't much more knowledge I would wish to gain. I have all the knowledge that is important to me.
edit on 28-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

edit on 28-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling error

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Checkout the trailer for the movie In Time...
2nd.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by moixa
Checkout the trailer for the movie In Time...
2nd.

Thanks to you for bringing that to my attention, I watched the trailer looks like an awesome movie!!!
Can't wait to see it!

Time instead of money sure would motivate me to find my creative earning potential for sure!!! That incentive would be the best incentive ever to get up and be inventive, entrepeneural!
edit on 28-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: error error - spelling

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I know how this works. In order to download your consciousness you have to implant the bio-sensors into your body. Soon you discover their real purpose; you are now the slave of your illuminati masters. Your conscience is burned out and you do their will or your disembodied conscience suffers horrendous torment.

Other than that I see no problem with this idea.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I don't think too many people would actually live forever. Me for example, I would just want to live longer, and after I'd experienced enough, I'm sure I would want to die. I wouldn't commit suicide, just undo whatever is stopping me from growing old and dying, live however many years, and then die a natural death. Or if you want to speed up the process, just live life to the extreme doing dangerous sports and you will eventually have a mishap and refuse medical help or have a contract signed so if you are unconscious or otherwise unable to voice your opinion, they will know to "pull the plug". I imagine if this were available to everyone, not everyone would even want it, most would just want an extended life, and this would also lead to many of our other problems being solved because the same technology can be used to make us way smarter so we could find solutions to everything. The question is, who will it be available to? And more importantly, can we survive as a species long enough to reach this point? What if the first person to be made into a super genius is effected somehow by the huge amount of knowledge? Will they see the futility in selfishness and other negative things? Or will their own traits become enhanced, making a cold and calculating ruler that much more ruthless?

new topics

top topics

join