It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone ever been homeless with no money? How did you / would you survive?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I grew up conservative, southern and deeply religious. When I discovered that my parents didn't love me or want me in their home because I might be homosexual, I learned at 16 what it meant to be homeless.

I relied on friends and their parents to help get me through about 3 weeks. Then I got a job and payed my way through college. During that time I volunteered and worked in the gay community. I cried, suffered, moved on from my family's lack of support and figured out a way to move up. It wasn't great.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I was homeless in Fl for about 3 months. Now, I'm from Maryland and hadn't been there since I was a kid. My wife and I went to FL with the full intent of giving up all my possessions besides a few cloths some lighters and $80. We walked over 42 miles at one point and I have to say, that when you are on the move allot, you tend to eat less.

The way we ate, if it wasn't squirrel, duck or fish, We would go to churches. We would ask people if they needed any work done or help in any way. you can also wash dishes at some places for a meal. We kept clean (as much as possible) and made sure We were no eye sore to the public. At nights we would go to the bar area and hang out since there is always people and friends to be made.

During the day, the park or the library was a nice place to chill and relax before trekking of into the woods back to camp. I gave other homeless people portions of my food or cloths or cigarets (what ever I had to give) So that way karma wasn't kicking me later.

You could drop me any where with a knife, a lighter/matches/9v and brillo/2 sticks and a tent..... And I'm good as gold. Well I don't really need the tent, just nice to have

Honestly though. Try it out some time. Take a month f your life and live outside of the confines of walls. You learn allot and you will be soooooooooooo surprised at how HEALTHY you become (especially in the woods)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Don't live beyond your means and prepare for such instances and they will never happen. I have a very old computer held together with duct tape for a reason.

Load of Crapp. Have you been Homeless? How about getting sick,and wasting all your savings on it? When the saving run out,relying on family,friends,and handouts.When that runs dry,living on the streets.How do you prepare for it,oh wise one?????????

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I would go to the municipal office and start to cash in unemployment benefits (80% of original income). I probably would get lazy and become a parasite of the society.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
You're all inpirations, this thread is incredible; I have 4 weeks annual leave coming up - I'm considering spending it homeless now.. hell, I'll save money =\

Props guys.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The time when we all will be homeless is near.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I was homeless for a little while and let me say, it's not as bad as you'd think. I enjoyed the total sense of freedom. Food can be a problem, and dumpster diving is really harder than it seems. My first night doing it, I found nothing to eat, second night all I got was a banana. I actually pawned a ring of mine for 150 bucks just so I could eat at mcdonalds, and for "recreational drug use." Luckily I lived in a small town where everything was close together so I'd walk only a few miles a day, and i had friends I could hang out with. I did have to sleep in forests though, which were horrible because of mosquitoes and fire ants. I would do almost whatever I have to do to survive, whether it be stealing or begging. I'd never resort to robbing someone though. Overall I was happier being homeless and doing my own thing, rather than where I'm at now. I just love the outdoors.

And another thing! Never walk around all day without shoes. I had about 3-4 blisters on each of my feet, and it was painful to walk. Be prepared.

I just realized I needed to elaborate on the difference to me in stealing and robbing. I'd steal food from a grocery store or any other place, but I'd never rob someone of their personal belongings.
edit on 29-8-2011 by ThirdMind because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2011 by ThirdMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
had an accident at work in the late eighties. everything went pear-shaped and i lost my house.
family was an issue at the time so i avoided the negative comments and decided to bivi out in
the mountains near to a couple of farms. after all the crap thrown my way it was indeed a refreshing
change to realise this was a good situation as long as i kept the positive attitude and thought
things out logically. i occasionally helped a farmer and the farmer helped me. i was offered a bed but declined
as i really wanted to live outdoors as long as possible. friends helped by occasionally turning up
with vodka and a few snacks. they actually thought i was losing it but i explained i needed the space
on the outside as much as i needed it in. from there i got my act together and ended up travelling
abroad for a few years. uncertainty where the next meal came from i feel taught me to appreciate
how delicate the mind and body can be. it is surprising how little food one can live on, however
the weight loss is noticable. to stop the hunger pains i meditated a lot which helped. after several
months without sugar,a friend gave me a banana sundae (loaded with the stuff) and not long after
polishing it off,i passed out then awoke and proceeded to rolph everywhere.
slept in shop entrances,bus stops,disused buildings,railway sidings,cave,bushes,mountain sides,forests
and desert to name most places. deep down back then i felt that if i needed assistance then i was a failure.
quite a stubborn attitude at the time i must admit. i settled on an arms length policy where assistance was
needed and it was appreciated. i would say to anyone who may end up without a place to live, don't turn
down offers of help, it may just be karmic guidance at play, you just never know!
i never stole although on occasion i was tempted.
f.
edit on 29-8-2011 by fakedirt because: wrong decade

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I would probably spend most of the time furnishing my writing and drawing skills and attempt to make a living off that. If that didn't work, I never got why a bunch of Homeless people haven't just assembled and built their own community somewhere in the back lands.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

They do, sometimes. Squatting bums do that kind of stuff. I recall some rather ingenious bums that lived in the underground tunnels used to carry utilities. It actually looked pretty urban/hip in the pictures, if I'm recalling correctly.

I'm sure that sometimes county sheriffs will get word and run out the squatters, but then it's just off to an adjacent county!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
When I was a child, a drunk driver hit the car my mother was driving and severely injured her. We had no insurance. Drunk driving had not yet been criminalized either. Mom was in a coma & also had a crushed spine & broken vertabrae in her neck. She was in the hospital for almost 5 months. After the first month, my dad was fired- too much time off was needed. By the third month, we could not pay our expenses. We had to leave our rental. Neither of them had family to speak of, although they had friends who helped cared for us. Dad found a state park where you could rent a spot for $10 a week and it included free showers, bathrooms & washer/ dryers. We spent the summer there hiking, canoeing & fishing, hanging out with other families that were really on vacation. They helped watch us, while Dad searched for ANY work and by fall, he was able to rent us an apartment. It took about a year before we even began to heal financially, and many more before Mom was able to somewhat recover. Going through that time, in retrospect, was a blessing. Although we were 'homeless' and lived out of a car, my Dad found a way to make it an exciting fun-filled vacation. He kept the horror from us and even kept us clean and surrounded us with as much normalcy as he could.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
I would probably spend most of the time furnishing my writing and drawing skills and attempt to make a living off that. If that didn't work, I never got why a bunch of Homeless people haven't just assembled and built their own community somewhere in the back lands.

They have little shanty towns in various places. There's one not too far from where I used to live. Those places can be dangerous though. The homeless won't hesitate to kill you if need be.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
After a year travelling I came back to no house and no job. I felt really lost. Some friends invited me to stay and when they in turn went overseas, they let me stay in their house rent free. When I got work I fixed things around their house, bought them a new bed etc and later when they came back I gave them some of my furniture which had come out of store. No money changed hands, we just helped each other as and when we could. This is the way things used to be and with the death of the financial system, it's most likely the way of the future.
edit on 30-8-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdMind

Well that's kind of what I was wondering. Why not an actual structural architecture?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Well, for those who have asked - i'm on the verge of homelessness. Due to unexpected events (and being generally poor anyway) - I have found myself with little money and a dire housing situation.

Due to the fact that I am not medically incapacitated or not vulnerable, my priority according to the local council is not at the top of the list - so I'm playing the waiting game right now.

I am hopefully getting some money in a week or so, but for now i'm relying on friends for a sofa and the odd meal (since I don't have much contact with my family).

I am literally living out of my rucksack and i'm currently using the library facilities for contacting employers, housing agencies and landlords, despite not having enough money for a contract or bond, i'm trying to remain positive and keep myself clean and happy.

Thanks for the good advice on here - I will be logging on every few days and will hopefully be updating my situation - but for now, don't worry - i'm strong and have the resources and skills to keep myself active, I have clean clothes and spare clothes in various locations and i'm hopefully going to be working part time very soon - plsu the weather isn't too cold at the moment, so even if I have to sleep rough, it won't be too bad. Plus I have a friend in a cafe who gives me free, hot coffee so i can't really complain.

I have looked for a local authority for hot meals, but they only provide food for drug/drink abusers or those who are 100% street homeless (unlike me who is somewhere in the limbo of couch surfing and squatting).

Wish me luck

edit on 30-8-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I do wish you luck! It is a tough thing to go through. I felt a lot of despair, but like others have mentioned, times like this are the ones that give a person strength to draw from in the future. In retrospect I developed a profound sense of empowerment afterwards. When I went through it and survived- I gained a lot of confidence from going right up to what I thought were my limits and sprinting past

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
ME too, i do wish you luck, but if you stay above the game on a mental level then you can get through this, no point going into my story, pretty much been covered by other people, however its the weather which you gotta keep an eye on, my trick was tin foil, the cooking type on rolls, always good to insulate shoes or trainers if you get cold or you are out side, i almost though of making a tin foil suit once, but it sounds like your turning the page, but if you do get stuck out in the cold or rain try and have a roll of the tin foil, it does keep out the chill, and the wet, and on a mental level there is nothing worse than feeling and being damm cold and wet with everything else going on around you, best of luck and rememeber your are not alone thats for sure, so keep in touch, not being alone is also a big plus, and as u have time on your hands why not try and understand how you ended up in the situation your facing and remember to learn from those lessons, there are always reasons why, learn em..and do keep in touch you are not alone for the need of anything all you have to do is ask.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I have never been homeless myself but because of my work I know a few homeless people. It must be the one of the deepest pits possible to find yourself in.

The homeless people start to fear the winter when the sun is shining in summer.

From how I understand it is an experiance which can make you grow as a person. Ofcourse there are two directions you can grow into. One is to become streetwise and to use your experiance to manipulate and abuse the trust people give you or the other way...you will understand the pickel such (good) people are in and try to help them in anyway possible to get them out or to make their lives more bearable.

From the other replies I notice that if there is the will to end a homeless situation most will succeed.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I was between a friends house and my parents house for two nights. I lived on $12 and my chevy caprice. destiny intervened, and I ran into an old friend, and it lead to a construction laborer job and I got back on my feet after crashing at another friends house for a couple of weeks

so I got by with a little help from my friends

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It's been twenty years since I was homeless. Thank God for the help I got, and for growing up and making a better life with the blessings and opportunities he provided me.

-Churches.
They are the single best bet for help. It varies. Most will not give you cash or food---they run the risk of being robbed if they keep either on hand. But: The larger churches have institutional help, and will help you get plugged into a halfway house or work-for-shelter program (cleaning up construction sites was how I got off the street finally). They can help women with kids get WIC, and help you get medical care, welfare, foodstamps, etc. They also have a lot better food than government facilties. The smaller churches can get you individual work, helping a handyman or clearing brush. I have a friend they helped find work running a log splitter and selling the wood on the side of the road.

-Water
In the US, practically every building has a faucet somewhere with a water hose attached. If a key is required, it may be hanging on a hook or hidden nearby. Look for small business like a strip mall or single office (realtor, optometrist, etc.) The biggest hurdle is your own sense of respecting someone else's property. If you get "caught" using someone's hose, just say "I was thirsty, and I shut it off when I'm done." It's not like any cop has the spare time to take you to jail for drinking someone else's water.

-Clean bathrooms.
Churches again. You can ask for a hand-out (which they expect, and will probably have to turn down, or refer you to a food pantry) solely for the chance to use a clean restroom afterwards. I was never denied when I asked for it. Also try Hospitals. Don't use the ones on the ground floor, which get most of the traffic. Go to the top floors; usually by the elevator there is a restroom that probably hasn't even been used yet that day. Libraries work the same way. Model homes are always clean, but you have to slip in during an open house or something. I've done it and never had a problem.

-Dumpster Diving.
Find a row of convenience stores and groceries. Donut shops throw away a lot, and will pour the cold coffee over the mistakes to keep you from eating them. But the workers often are not wanting to waste time in the trash, so they don't really soak every donut. Same with Pizza places. Look for delivery-only stores: they make a lot more mistakes every evening. And a lot of the workers will intentionally leave some for you if they detect that you are diving for living. Groceries can work well also.

-Places to sleep.
You have two choices: either congregate with other homeless people, or avoid them. Staying with them involves some safety in numbers, and some comeraderie, but also a hierarchical society a bit like prison (can you tell I didn't like that choice?). Often, the leader will "rent" you a corner to beg on, plus some crutches or a wheelchair or a sign or something, and you give a part of your take. A good corner made $75 a day, in Dallas or Phoenix in the late 80s. You can sleep under a railroad bridge or overpass by a creek. In an encampment, there's usually a party every night.

If you go your own, you just have to get creative. You can sleep in new construction, like a subdivision that's being built, or a vacant home that hasn't been occupied yet. I already mentioned model homes for toilets, but I wouldn't sleep in one---they tend to have cameras in them. On a summer night, just having a back yard with a high fence works wonders for your sense of safety. Knock on the fence, and look for dogie doors or doghouses or other evidence they have a dog. You can tell when the family is away, because the electric meter runs so slow. Also, there may be a car in the driveway, but the spot nearest the house's entry is empty. This means that they own two cars, and have gone someplace in the "main" vehicle. I have found lawn furniture to sleep on, often out of sight of the house! It's not breaking and entering if you just opened the back gate and lay on some furniture "in plain view".

When a friend had a car, we lived in a state park, which was completely vacant during the work-week. We parked in the road outside, and just camped in the woods without renting a campsite.

If you're on foot alone, get away from car traffic, to avoid the police. Follow drainage ditches, railroad tracks, and greenbelts. The populated hours are from 3pm until dark, when kids are out of school and on the loose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join