It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petition to Apply Affirmative Action to Basketball Team

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
First, let me make this clear, I am in no way racist or prejudice. I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and most of my friends were of a different race. I never saw color, only a friend. I believe people who focus on hate are slowing their own development of becoming a better human being.

That being said, I found this video the other day and it really made me think-- why is racism and prejudice STILL an issue in our society today? This video brought a new thought to mind-- racism is still a problem because it has been built into our society through laws and teachings, and as human beings, we still recognize and "accept" it into our society. Sorry if this video pisses any one off, I found it refreshing as I believe the man in the video is proving a good point on equality.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Arrrr

Sure.

So long as we have it in the Corporate board room first. When I see diversity at the top, then we can discuss diversity in silly , stupid........ sports.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm surprised no one mentioned the major difference between sports and academics. The purpose of sports is to compete, where the winners are the ones who practice the most and develop the most skill. If affirmative action was place in sports at that school, the team could potentially lose games.

Whereas, the purpose of schools is to teach students. And by supplying diversity in school, students receive a better education because during classroom discussions, they will hear many more varying responses, thoughts, and opinions from students since the classroom is more diverse. In a way, universities also prepare students for the workplace where they will potentially have to interact with a much more diverse population, and a school that only selects white students isn't going to prepare them for that.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I'll be okay with this when I see a situation where most sports teams aren't majority minority even when minority students are outnumbered 3 or 4:1. I see that situation all the time, so it's obviously one place where Affirmative Action is simply not needed.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaberz
I'm surprised no one mentioned the major difference between sports and academics. The purpose of sports is to compete, where the winners are the ones who practice the most and develop the most skill. If affirmative action was place in sports at that school, the team could potentially lose games.

Whereas, the purpose of schools is to teach students. And by supplying diversity in school, students receive a better education because during classroom discussions, they will hear many more varying responses, thoughts, and opinions from students since the classroom is more diverse. In a way, universities also prepare students for the workplace where they will potentially have to interact with a much more diverse population, and a school that only selects white students isn't going to prepare them for that.

So, you think that the purpose of colleges today is not to compete with other colleges for enrollment?
edit on 28/8/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
And let's not forget the vertically challenged. Every NBA team should have at least two midgets on the roster.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
So, you think that the purpose of colleges today is not to compete with other colleges for enrollment?
edit on 28/8/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

Correct. I don't think the purpose of a college is to compete with other colleges for enrollment. Obviously it is something a college has to do to stay afloat, however it's true purpose is to educate. And offering a diverse school with people of varying intelligences does a good job at offering that education.

top topics

join