It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain places blanket bans on street protests

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
Can I ask why the dates from the 2nd September till 30th are there marches or demonstrations planned for all of that period?

Yes, the neo-nazi EDF were planning a march in order to provoke violence. This was the easiest way to stop it, though not necessarily the right way.

But the point is that the thread title is totally misleading (deliberately so?) and offensive towards us proud Britons.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

No it wont, What happens in England does not effect the other countries.. She could issue an Order but the Administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland do not have to implement that specific Order.
edit on 28-8-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

I guess they'll just do it on their own then. If you aren't outraged enough to stop it now, later will be too late.

Scottish Defence League to hold static protest in Edinburgh after march banned

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Can I ask why the dates from the 2nd September till 30th are there marches or demonstrations planned for all of that period?

Yes, the neo-nazi EDF were planning a march in order to provoke violence. This was the easiest way to stop it, though not necessarily the right way.

But the point is that the thread title is totally misleading (deliberately so?) and offensive towards us proud Britons.

I didn't write the original article and the thread's title is NOT the point. It was not my intention to be offensive but if this kind of news offends then so be it. Any protest banning is WRONG. A thinking person doesn't have to agree with anything the protestors are saying to know this.
edit on 28/8/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Thanks Essan, appreciated. So are they testing the waters of other, Scottish, Welsh, other English towns with that headline to see how we react to it?

I stood at Faslane, stood against Thatcher with the miners and Im not going to give up that right due to over powered namby pamby`s that we have in our so called government now. I want to march and demonstrate I will, end of.

respects

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by D1Useek

What a completely moronic statement to make, Very humanistic of you, are you related to cam? It is ok for the banking elite to rob the country and the world as long as they do not scare you or come near where you live and as long as they wear suits, that is allright then, cool.

Let us not get cross at the banking elite, no, they are good for us all they keep us all enslaved at paying some stupid debt off for however many generations to come.

Open your eyes, what about the Agent provocateur's that were reported? no, people were lying?, get a grip man, they did get out of hand because they were created to do that to further the agenda. Someone stole some ice cream, 16 months inside, bankers steal everything, result, we give them more, great logic that.

This world is for everyone, not just the elite, remember that because they really do not give a toss about you, you will see it eventually when it is all too late.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I want to march and demonstrate I will, end of.

respects

The right to march comes with responsibilities. Without responsibility there NO right. So long as you can promise that your marching and demonstrating will in no way stop anyone else going about their lawful business and will cause no harm or inconvenience to others, then that is fine. I'm happy for you to do so. Such is a free society.

I so not believe the EDL are able to do that. Indeed, I believe their motivation is quite the opposite.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Whilst the EDL have many faults calling them 'neo-nazis' is stretching the truth quite a bit, they have black and Asian members and whether people like it or not they do express the genuine concerns of an increasingly large section of British society.

And the ban not only applies to them but also the UAF, MAC etc who are at least as equally intolerant and militant in their beliefs and have a far worse record for causing disturbances at protest marches.

This ban could quite easily be the thin end of the wedge and I personally will do whatever I see fit to defend and protect my right to demonstrate.

What I find worrying is that despite the police raising no objections to a march in Edinburgh the city council decided to ban it anyway.

We need the power of recall at both regional and national level to stop these self-important, self-advancing politicians from imposing their own agenda's and dictates upon us.

ETA.
And I find it quite ironic that you mention a 'free society' whilst supporting the blanket banning of protest marches, regardless of whether it is just in London or wherever.
It is against the very ethos that this country alleges and strives to be and is exactly the sort of action our governments have consistently criticised other countries for taking.
edit on 28/8/11 by Freeborn because: ETA

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I want to march and demonstrate I will, end of.

respects

The right to march comes with responsibilities. Without responsibility there NO right. So long as you can promise that your marching and demonstrating will in no way stop anyone else going about their lawful business and will cause no harm or inconvenience to others, then that is fine. I'm happy for you to do so. Such is a free society.

I so not believe the EDL are able to do that. Indeed, I believe their motivation is quite the opposite.

NO. Successful peaceful protest = disrupting the normal flow of business and causing inconvenience to others without violence. That is the best way get people's attention. That is also the reason why protests do not work in the U.S.

I'm surprised to hear a Briton talking like this.

ETA: I'm surprised and disappointed to hear a Briton talking like this.
edit on 28/8/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
Can you change the title off your thread. It is not the whole of Britain which is under this protest ban. It only refers to protests in England.

Just what I was going to say. Despite this being the title of the referenced article, people should engage their brains when posting. Otherwise they are just a tool of fearmongering media cr*p.

link   
quiet right to thats not the way to act in a civil society . lucky they did not live in syria mr steven gough from england has been in goal in scotland for 5+ yrs for daring to walk naked in public . i wonder how many of the 16.000 police officers getting paid off kids went out to play that night .or is that a conspiricy .lucky the muppets never got shot they would in america this country needs a furher not a polititian people have died trying to defend what we have .and there is mayhem on the streets . england ireland libya iraq afganistan syria etc etc move along now nothing here to see

link   

Originally posted by D1Useek
That's great! It's about time. The police are there to protect the people. Screw the rights of the gheto/welfare collectors! The most work they did in their lives was to loot and burn their own neighborhoods. People that feed off of society shouldn't have the same rights as the people providing everything for them! Like it or not thats it!

Do you mean politicians, banksters, media moguls, corrupted police chiefs, owners of weapon factories, GMO pushers, corrupted pundits - generally mafia? If so, I agree with you for 100%.

Sorry for short post. What other to say?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
People! people! people! people! people!
When will we wake up and smell the s**t?
Events are orchestrated and are used to justify subsequent (draconian) measures taken.
Actors, Agent provocateurs, Green Screens, Props and Video and Photographic fakery
are all extensively employed to pass off staged and fictional situations and narratives as
reality to the unsuspecting, indoctrinated and brainwashed sheeple.
Examples include 9/11, Madrid, London and Bali bombings, Mumbai, Tucson
and Norway Shootings amongst many others (and the London riots).
Bit by bit, little by little, piece by piece, we are being stripped bare of our natural rights by the
real criminals and their corrupt 'elected' puppet officials.
Meanwhile the rich get richer and the real schemers go unpunished.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!

The Extents Of Media Fakery In Modern Life

Do yourself a huge favour and take a few weeks out to go through everything
written in the above link.
You might learn something.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The UK Government should be reminded, of this the next time, they go on TV and criticise others countries for banning so called democracy protests in those countries. Or do as one protestor done to Nick Clegg, chuck blue paint over him

edit on 28-8-2011 by AnonymousFem because: Missed out the letter P

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
If you went on the EDL forums you would be surprised at how much they dont tolerate rascism. They are anti islamification of England, any sort of rascism will get you banned from the organisation. The goverment backed UAF and the MSM will have you believe otherwise.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by Essan

Whilst the EDL have many faults calling them 'neo-nazis' is stretching the truth quite a bit, they have black and Asian members and whether people like it or not they do express the genuine concerns of an increasingly large section of British society

Ah, but what does ethnic origin or colour of skin have to do with it? Any more than town of birth of colour of eyes?

They are fascists who have no support from the vast majority of Britons but want to impose their views on others.

They are, of course, in a free country, welcome to express their views. So long as they accept that the British will laugh at them.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This comes as a surprise?

When a bunch of rioting assholes come down my street, trash my favorite little Irish Pub, flip over my car, and set fire to random articles looted from other people's favorite nearby businesses... I'm not going to relish the idea of the government issuing a permit to demonstrate to that (or other similarly 'motivated' groups). I'm also going to be asking why my tax dollars - going to police forces - are not being used to send riot police to break these destructive events up.

People have the "right to protest" so bassackwards these days it's not even funny. Sure - you should have the right to be able to assemble with other people and express your concerns in a responsible manner. No, you don't get to destroy property in the process. Nor can you block traffic (you can't block entry to businesses, houses, government buildings, etc) - you can stand around traffic and be a cause for rubber-necking... but you can't just say "I don't like that business, I'm going to get a bunch of people who also don't like that business and keep anyone from going into it by making a huge human-wall around the edge of their property."

That's how it is in the U.S. - and I believe most other countries have similar criterion in place. It only stands to reason.

So, when people start rioting and getting out of hand because their douchebaggery knows no bounds, it is pretty simple to just say "Alright, that's it - no protests for a while. Hold them and the police will be there to shut it down before it has a chance to start."

Which, ironically, may lead to more protests becoming riots, depending upon the nature of the protesters. I think the best way to handle the issue is to set up a permit for demonstration that is registered for a certain number of people in a certain area for a certain amount of time. In this way, 'counter-demonstrations' can be handled as well as an adequate number of police planned to be in the area to help ensure things do not get out of hand. Further, setting up designated areas for protests helps to avoid property damage should the demonstration turn violent.

I'm sure a number of people will argue against that. I agree - it's not perfect or void of abusive potential. However, we live in an imperfect world where people will riot and destroy property that belongs to others, then cite "right to assemble" when trying to organize another demonstration two weeks later. Other people also have a right to their homes and legally operated businesses (extrapolated somewhat - you have no 'right to a business' - but it's generally accepted that it falls under the concept of things to be protected). At some point, you have to recognize the risk to the non-violent majority is being imposed by an abuse of the right to assembly by a chaotic few.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
NO. Successful peaceful protest = disrupting the normal flow of business and causing inconvenience to others without violence. That is the best way get people's attention.

That is the best way to ensure that whatever your view I will NEVER, and can never, condon it.

But are you saying that if I inconvenience you and cause you to lose income and suffer other inconvenience that you will support me? How strange .....

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
People please keep in mind that these protests aren't being banned in order to silence the protesters, they are being prevented so as to stop groups which are hellbent on confronting eachother from doing so and causing more chaos around the capital.

We've had enough trouble this month in the capital and throughout the country and some communities are still feeling the impact of what went on, the last thing anyone needs at this point is more trouble on the streets.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
NO. Successful peaceful protest = disrupting the normal flow of business and causing inconvenience to others without violence. That is the best way get people's attention.

That is the best way to ensure that whatever your view I will NEVER, and can never, condon it.

But are you saying that if I inconvenience you and cause you to lose income and suffer other inconvenience that you will support me? How strange .....

You know that's not what I'm saying. How did this become my cause? I'm commenting on the loss of personal rights.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeissacred
People please keep in mind that these protests aren't being banned in order to silence the protesters, they are being prevented so as to stop groups which are hellbent on confronting eachother from doing so and causing more chaos around the capital.

We've had enough trouble this month in the capital and throughout the country and some communities are still feeling the impact of what went on, the last thing anyone needs at this point is more trouble on the streets.

Ah yes, the loss of rights for safety sake. Remember the Patriot Act in the U.S.? Feel any safer?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join