It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Reasons to Believe in Jesus - Evidence for Faith

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Just for your info: Brother NeverForget is, as the name indicates, a brother, and have my specific encouragement and permission to speak in situations I'm involved in.

He owns a spaghetti-strainer and has loosely sworn himself into a non-circle-argument faction of pastafarians. In other words, he's trustworthy, and probably never beats his wife, even if she's only a woman and as such not quite human according to OT standards.

Quote: ["All I am here for is to talk Jesus."]

Whereas such monomania makes me suspicious.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

reply to post by bogomil

You are real funny today, eh?

Suspicious of what exactly?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

reply to post by bogomil

Again, I speak on behalf of Brother Bogomil; now with explicit permission:-

I believe this was expressed in the very words you quote; monomania

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Blessings of the all-father to you all (its Woden's day, I usually do the Nordic thing on Woden's day)

Here’s an argument I found on the internet that clearly shows the Nordic religion is correct one
commonsenseatheism.com...

Since I just assume you are all going to convert on the strength of that, here’s a useful Viking prayer to get you started:

Low there do I see my father
Low there do I see my mother
my sisters and my brothers
low there do I see the line of
my people back to the beginning
Low they call to me
They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live forever

And just in case there are still a few christians left who are not convinced:
static.fjcdn.com...

VALLLLHALLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!1!!

edit on 31-8-2011 by racasan because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2011 by racasan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

. . .the Nordic religion is correct one. . .
There is an aspect to that religion that I think probably made the adherents to it ripe for conversion to Christianity which is this concept of a worthy death that being a Christian martyr would facilitate, without all the murderous parts, meaning the act of doing murder yourself. To fall in battle, fighting to the last breath, but in a spiritual war. Cowards will never enter the hall of the king of the the afterlife of heroes.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

I think you have a point

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
With the cross of Jesus going on before.
Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
Forward into battle see His banners go!

but the conversion of Scandinavia and Germany is know to have been brutal in fact the Samis (Laplanders) remained unconverted until the 18th century.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

I must have missed that bit.
The Germans I thought were already incorporated into the Holy Roman Empire.
So I thought the war to force conversion was mainly the Teutons against the Slavs.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I have a speculation that Christianity was invented by the Romans as a way of creating social cohesion during a difficult time – about 2000 years ago the sun moved from the constellation of Aries and started to rise in the constellation of Pisces – because of this many cults had started in anticipation of a coming avatar of the new age of Pisces*
We can still see the same kind of thinking today with people anticipating the Age of Aquarius or the 2012 thing – when people were much more superstitious it was worse

The destruction of pagan sites of worship, the demonization of pagan deities, pagan religious practices condemned as witchcraft, burning people (think about it, putting someone on a ladder then dropping that person face first into a bonfire – not the work of enlightened people but terror tactics to get the population to go along with the new religion)

*this is based on a thing called the procession of the equinoxes

Aristarchus of Samos (c. 280 BC) is the earliest known astronomer to recognize and assess the precession of the equinoxes

Basically make note of which constellation the sun rises in on the day of the spring equinox – you will then know what age you are currently in

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan

I have a speculation that Christianity was invented by the Romans as a way of creating social cohesion during a difficult time – about 2000 years ago the sun moved from the constellation of Aries and started to rise in the constellation of Pisces – because of this many cults had started in anticipation of a coming avatar of the new age of Pisces*
We can still see the same kind of thinking today with people anticipating the Age of Aquarius or the 2012 thing – when people were much more superstitious it was worse

The destruction of pagan sites of worship, the demonization of pagan deities, pagan religious practices condemned as witchcraft, burning people (think about it, putting someone on a ladder then dropping that person face first into a bonfire – not the work of enlightened people but terror tactics to get the population to go along with the new religion)

*this is based on a thing called the procession of the equinoxes

Aristarchus of Samos (c. 280 BC) is the earliest known astronomer to recognize and assess the precession of the equinoxes

Basically make note of which constellation the sun rises in on the day of the spring equinox – you will then know what age you are currently in

Pices is the sign of Christ. Ever wonder why they drew a symbol of the fish in the dirt to recognize eachother? Link here says it all.

www.signofthefish.net...

It should make any christian smile to be able to look up at the stars and see the sign of our Lord written in the sky for all to see.

edit on 31-8-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget

reply to post by bogomil

Ha! Did you say something? I can't hear.....I am too busy monomaniac-ing.

Who quoted Monomania?

Oh yeah....I believe this thread is about JESUS. Lets stay on topic please and if you care to have a conversation with me....do it with your own words (I kindly ask of you again), otherwise you may feel free to speak to the other posters about said topic....JESUS.

Peace and love xoxoxo
Jenn

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverForget

reply to post by bogomil

Ha! Did you say something? I can't hear.....I am too busy monomaniac-ing.

Who quoted Monomania?

Oh yeah....I believe this thread is about JESUS. Lets stay on topic please and if you care to have a conversation with me....do it with your own words (I kindly ask of you again), otherwise you may feel free to speak to the other posters about said topic....JESUS.

Peace and love xoxoxo
Jenn

Preach it sister. Amen

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

I have a speculation that Christianity was invented by the Romans as a way of creating social cohesion during a difficult time – about 2000 years ago the sun moved from the constellation of Aries and started to rise in the constellation of Pisces – because of this many cults had started in anticipation of a coming avatar of the new age of Pisces
It was defiantly co opted by the Romans who knew they were on the wain as an empire. I like to think that there is enough of what it was before that, to where a decent religion can be made of it.
Another thing to consider may be the affect of the fall of Jerusalem. Herod was an influential person in the Roman world and the temple he built in Jerusalem was also influential and was recognized by all people in that world as being an important worship place. There may have been as much of a reason to make an adjustment in the world of religion for that reason, as there may have been for astrological reasons.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperiorEd

Originally posted by Trolloks
"I believe the bible is the exact word of god"
"No its not dad, and I can prove it to you. Go get your bible"
"OK"
"What does it say on the cover?"
"Holy Bible"
"What else?"
"King James Version"
"I rest my case"
- Bill Hicks.

The Bible is the reflection (image) of the Word of God. The Living Word is Jesus (Logos). The Bible contains God and man in the image. We reflect on the Bible and see ourselves in the reflection, as in a mirror. If you only see man in the Bible, you are only looking for yourself in the reflection. Pride causes this self to be the one you love. God is there as well and must be found apart from pride. Knock and the door will be opened. Just don't expect to find God in love if you do not love Him. If you seek a mate in life, will they give you the time of day if you are focused on your own self-love? Can you love another if you are only filled with love for yourself? This is the Genesis 3 pride.

so that was basically just an elaborate way of saying "pick and choose the good parts, the parts you agree with, and scrap the rest!" What if I see god's reflection in the parts of the bible which endorse slavery and domestic abuse and torture? You say potato, I say justification for brutality and horror.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

You wrote:

["Ha! Did you say something? I can't hear.....I am too busy monomaniac-ing."]

Considering that you still haven't answered my questions on how you build your 'bridges' from one step of your reasoning-chain to another step some distance from the first.....ignoring the intermediary steps, which sofar only are existing in your mind......I still call that monomania.

If you don't like the steps of deductive logic, or even have some formal objection to the whole procedure of deductive logic, it would be easier to come out with that directly and we can start there, instead of the present neither this nor that semantic circling around on a basis of preaching ornamented with allusions to things you 'know', but seldom manifest.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

You wrote:

["Preach it sister. Amen"]

Except that this is the last label pseudo-rational christian missioning wants on its pushing. These days the effort from that preaching-faction lies with becoming housebroken in the world of science and logic, where contemporary truth/reality-seeking is done.

Preaching on its own has a bad name outside the group of believers, but the believers living in the imaginatorium of past centuries, haven't caught on to that yet. But DO stay there and build the walls between your mythology and the rest of mankind higher, dreaming that you are coming across.

This thread turns around such an effort of pseudo-rational approach, in case anyone has forgotten where we started.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

The following is opinion:

There seems to be one spiritual path and it’s based on the acquisition/control/understanding of a “force” which is known by a few different names such as chi, ki, prana, Life Force and probably a lot more

Religions on the other hand are for the most part mythic stories, many of which are connected with the birth of agriculture/civilization and are usually some kind allegorical or symbolic tale used to pass on important information about the night sky and therefore about calendars
Religions also usually contain some kind of “history” of the tribe involved with that religion

The bible is a book that was deliberately constructed by the roman to create a catholic or all inclusive social system base around as many other religions as could be included - its a kind of Frankenstein's monster made from the parts of other belief systems

So it should contain symbolic (calendar) information, also historic (tribal) information – but does it have any mention of chi, ki, prana, Life Force?

Well if it does its so heavily disguised or lost in translation that it’s surly not worth the effort to try and find it

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Brother Racasan,

I can only agree with you. The collective manifestations of such a mysterious 'force' (or whatever) are rather overwhelming, but is lost in the 'copyright-wars' between doctrinal systems.

In the ever so popular way of calling 'pushing' for 'wittnessing', 'sharing' or 'giving testimony', I will add my bit:

I am the happy owner of my very own secular 'holy spirit', just as good as any 'holy spirits' you'll find around, and I have seen extra-ordinary results of reiki-healing (another unexplained version of the 'force').

No 'gods' and I had nothing in my sleeves. While unexplained this is a 'reality' one can relate to instead of that of mythological manuals.

Not that I have anything against JMDewy's version, it's completely acceptable in my world, whereas brother superior's version looks like an ivory-tower build on quicksand.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

– but does it have any mention of chi, ki, prana, Life Force?
What should be recognized, I think, is that there are a lot of spirits and all but one being ultimately evil and leading to death. Jesus would be the guide for finding the right one that is good and leads to life.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Dear brother bogomil

Some years ago I was in an accident – I hurt my back very badly (according to the doctors I saw it was sciatic nerve damage with spinal complications and it was considered permanent, painkillers where the only relief – and it was painful beyond belief)

I decided the situation was unacceptable so I looked around for alternatives – thanks to a misspent youth watching Hong Kong cinema (kung fu and all that) I decide to try something called Zhan Zhuang (Jam Jong) a form of standing meditation

Not only was my back healed in days but my health improved a lot

I cannot prove that chi fixed me; it could be that making an effort to stand properly and breathe deeply did the trick – but even so I decided to pursue this chi idea, I got quite far along a path called Taoist alchemy – a wonderful experience and I had a few adventures with it. But my studies had to finally had give way to work/life/family and so now I don’t have the amount of time to devote to it I would like – but I do hope to return to it one day, there seems to be an effect here and I think its worth my time to find out what it is

Oh and as for 'holy spirit' thingy – in Taoist alchemy it’s probably called the “second body” – I got one too, ok one of the legs is a little short and it’s a bit drafty in winter – but yep I got one

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

A few years ago I got myself a telescope – I hadn’t had one since my childhood

The first object I looked at was Saturn – the joy I felt at seeing that ring gas giant is indescribable – the thought of been part of a universe with something so lovely in it had me dancing around the garden, I felt connected to everything

If what you do, gives you that kind of joy – then good, if not then look somewhere else because you’re doing it wrong

Trust me the universe isn’t broken and people aren’t evil (I occasional think some of them could do with a ding up the side of the head – but they aren’t evil just daft)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join