It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I Believe

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Allegedly having created a somewhat malfunctioning cosmos, which he on the same principles as former Sovjet practises (wire, thumptacks and tape) tries to patch together, so it will run some billion years more without dying of premature entropy, 'god' can't possibly spare the time to be instrospective, meditate and whatever is amongst mankind's option for finding out what the bleep REALLY is going on.

"GOD's creation" WILL destroy us all from entropic heat death; not before our own star blows up. We need to drop religion, and increase our endevours in technology and civilisation.

But atlas, destruction may come sooner if theocratic countries like Iran get hold of nuclear weapons; and proclaim a "Holy war". Oh. the joys of piety.
edit on 30/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverForget

destruction may come sooner if theocratic countries like Iran get hold of nuclear weapons; and proclaim a "Holy war". Oh. the joys of piety.

More likely for a country with 10s of thousands of nuclear weapons to go theocratic and continue the holy war they've already engaged in. Oh. the joys of piety!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

You MAY eventually be let into heaven because of your basic do-good attitudes (such as world-peace etc), but as sure as ramen in church, they'll only give you a harp, which is permanently out of tune, and you will never get week-ends on probation in the Valhalla or jihad-assasin parts of heaven, where all the fun is.

While I'll be in hell with 6.000 year matured whiskey and no end of depraved women. I try to do my do-gooding anonymously, so no-one up there notices it

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena

Hopefully not my country, but then again; the objective of the Monarchy is to "withold the faith".

Let's hope it fails. Peace to you too.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

You MAY eventually be let into heaven because of your basic do-good attitudes (such as world-peace etc), but as sure as ramen in church, they'll only give you a harp, which is permanently out of tune, and you will never get week-ends on probation in the Valhalla or jihad-assasin parts of heaven, where all the fun is.

While I'll be in hell with 6.000 year matured whiskey and no end of depraved women. I try to do my do-gooding anonymously, so no-one up there notices it

LOL!

Thanks for making me smile, brethren.

A funny thought on Blaise Pascal's wager:-

I assume you know the premise but i'll explain anyway.....

Let's make a bet because........If there is no God, and there is no afterife, then when you die...that's the "end of it"

But supposing there is an afterlife, even if it's a billion to one probability......why not bet that there will be one?

Because if you're wrong, the same will happen....nothing.

But if you're wrong when betting there IS NOT a God; you've got a hot poker up your rear end for all eternity.

BUT.......What about a THIRD choice : There is an afterlife, but you ONLY get to go if you're an Atheist?

Perhaps atheists wouldn't be able to decide what's worse; an eternity in heaven, or admitting they were wrong.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

the objective of the Monarchy is to "withold the faith".

I've been looking at the current crop of wanna be "most powerful man/woman of the world" in my country. They seem determined to "enforce the faith" on the world. They have almost unanimously chosen the Old Testament "god". That is quite frightening and depressing to me. May they fail in their endeavors.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Considering the very loose formulation of OP, this thread is 'when the cat is out, the rats etc'.

Here's one of my favourites (repeated on occasion).

The sufi dies and comes to heaven's gate. Sanct Peter meets him and the sufi asks to be let in.

"Whoa", says Peter, "first your credentials"

"OK", says the sufi, "if it's going to be that way, you can start by proving, that you really are sanct Peter".

From the inside of heaven a voice is heard: "Let him in....he's one of us".

(Slightly edited from the original).

PS There is even an 'answer' to Pascal wager: If there are no 'gods', you could waste your only life following them anyway.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena

I've been looking at the current crop of wanna be "most powerful man/woman of the world" in my country. They seem determined to "enforce the faith" on the world. They have almost unanimously chosen the Old Testament "god". That is quite frightening and depressing to me. May they fail in their endeavors.

No worries brother Pthena, empires always implode eventually. OK, sometimes taking a planet with them, but no-one ever said it was going to be easy.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

Considering the very loose formulation of OP, this thread is 'when the cat is out, the rats etc'.

Here's one of my favourites (repeated on occasion).

The sufi dies and comes to heaven's gate. Sanct Peter meets him and the sufi asks to be let in.

"Whoa", says Peter, "first your credentials"

"OK", says the sufi, "if it's going to be that way, you can start by proving, that you really are sanct Peter".

From the inside of heaven a voice is heard: "Let him in....he's one of us".

(Slightly edited from the original).

PS There is even an 'answer' to Pascal wager: If there are no 'gods', you could waste your only life following them anyway.

Very nice, very nice indeed.

And again, co-incidence almost has been believing in...... something or other.....

You mention "sufi"

Only last night did I start a drum and bass mix - I was merging in the track: "Mutated Forms - Actions and Consequences" and i noticed the vocal:-

The sufis say each one of us is a planet spinning in ecstasy. I say each one of us is a set of spinning molecules, spinning in ecstasy.

I looked this up;-

Apparently this is a line from a scene in the film "The Limits of Control" whereby a character on a train from Madrid to Seville called "Molecules" states the line I quote above.

The sufis say each one of us is a planet spinning in ecstasy. I say each one of us is a set of spinning molecules, spinning in ecstasy

Peace Bogomil

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

no-one ever said it was going to be easy.

Thank you for that. That's almost exactly what Dionysus said to me. He certainly seemed less agitated than what I've been feeling lately.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena

I can only agree, not that i wish to condemn freedom of belief, only to urge that the state do not interfere in "church" matters, and that agents of the state should not be using faith as promotional material, or as a means to justify legislation or political action.

Peace to you, friend.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join