It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 keys to making good posts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
There are some very simple guidelines I try to follow when making a post (a reply to another post):

1) Be sure you understand what you are responding to. Read it multiple times if necessary.
2) Make sure you have a relevant comment and evaluate the importance vs effort required.
3) Check that you aren't repeating something that has already been said. It pays to read a thread.
4) Know what you are talking about. Weeding through false information is extremely annoying.
5) Expand appropriately on relevant areas and never be afraid to do a little research (aka googling).
6) Remain calm and collected at all times. The guy who freaks out always gives a bad impression.
7) Be assertive and critical. Always hold your ground but never be afraid to admit you were wrong.
8) Know how to maintain a healthy skepticism, a logical approach, and a respect for other opinions.
9) Try to stick to the topic at hand. Never lower yourself to personal attacks or other petty actions.
10) Always have fun and never take your posts or other posts too seriously. This is the internet.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

11.) Make sure reading glasses or contacts are in...fuzzy words tend to turns yes's into no's...and what if's into absolute fact's...shirt's into shoe's...just sayin...

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
12: Bake for 35 minutes, or until tender in the middle and leave to cool by the window.

( * Also, combat and slaughter any creature that comes along to take a bight! * )

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Something else thats very useful...

13) Check that you aren't repeating something that has already been said. It pays to read a thread.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

0110011001100001011000110110010101110000011000010110110001101101 (that's binary for facepalm)

got a good laugh outta me though

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
13) Read the thread completely to avoid repeating something that has already been said.

Just kidding..
You should add "Know how to construct an easily readable paragraph". I really dislike being faced with a wall of text, especially when it is something I'm interested in reading. I'm not pedantic about it either... Just hit the enter key at random intervals, and I'll be happy.

Edit:
Aw, Alfa beat me to the joke! That makes me think of another thing to add to your list though..."Avoid taking a break in the midst of composing a post"
edit on 28-8-2011 by Astrithr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
Something else thats very useful...

13) Check that you aren't repeating something that has already been said. It pays to read a thread.

Yep, there are a few (probably hundreds) of threads on this all ready.

there is a tool called "search" that would have explained these ides...

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
14) Was this thread really necessary?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze
14) Was this thread really necessary?

It took me like 2 minutes to write out those points. It's in the off-topic literature section. If you don't find it useful move along to another thread. I highly doubt some one else has written the exact points I have here, so give me a break.

۝۞
|__|

edit on 28-8-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Thank you C.O. Regardless of whether there is a thread or threads on this, I'm glad you posted it. This is something that the mighty mods should post once a week because it's clear to me that many do not use the search function or bother to go to the newbie dept. when they get here to find out about these things. S&F.

new topics

top topics

join