It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida's urine test for poor people yields results

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
While i do agree with some of the aspects of drug desting for social security. There are some things that should be wiped off the table in my opinion. Marijuana for example, should be legal as it is much much safer than alcohol ever will be.

Testing for hard drugs and basing it on that i do agree with though, but i would not like to see children going hungry either, even though 1/2 children go hungry every single day. More to add to the list i guess.

Its really sad actually, we have the technology to feed everyone on the planet. Yet here we are.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
but i would not like to see children going hungry either, even though 1/2 children go hungry every single day.

If the money and (food stamps) are being spent on drugs, the kids are probably going hungry anyway.

And yes, food stamps are routinely traded for drugs.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

You are correct, plus the higher income you possess the more upscale the drugs you have sitting around to impress your friends.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I agree that the Govt. should test welfare recipients for drugs.Cocaine, Meth, Heroin and '___'. Marijuana should be be legalized. (God knows I need some right now
It's only fair to the people who pay into the system that gives these people welfare checks.

The way Florida did it though was wrong. They did the right thing for the wrong reasons IMO.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Come on now, we all know how easy it is pass a UA these days. The 2% that got busted were just the retards.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for this.

It frankly doesn't make a difference whether or not someone takes drugs when they're on welfare. Who cares really. What difference does it make...

The only... ONLY reason I could muster, and consider "allowing" (within reason) would be if said recipient had a history of arrests or felonies, and/or is on parole. Though I'm not sure you can get welfare and the like if you're on parole ? No idea really.... (I really wouldn't even support this either, just saying, it's more feasible then the blanket system they're pushing for.)

What is with some people. As soon as they get their first "job" pumping gas in some podunk craphole, they feel they have the right to call everyone else a bum and a parasite.

They put this together like a biased lynch mob, and all they could get was a 2% poz yield. That probably means, even the 2% is cooked. Incredible. So, you're telling me, poor folks, are actually pretty decent folks? Rewrite the history books people!!
edit on 28-8-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I am against welfare for the most part, except for people who can't provide for themselves. In my opinion, welfare is granted too easily these days. A lot of people on welfare keep pumping out the babies when they have no way to afford them other than the public dole.

But for a government to refuse giving welfare to someone who tests positive for drugs is outrageous in my opinion.

It is discrimination of the worst kind. Let's test all the bankers and CEO's, I would be willing to bet that more than 2% of those bastards are taking drugs. Problem is, that they own the federal government, and the state governments as well.

I don't see the cops taking drug tests.

I don't see mayors or councilmen taking drug tests.

What I do see is divide and conquer.

If people don't stand up now, then when they come for you, no one will be left to stand up.

We got bigger problems in this world then poor people trying to escape the reality of their existence by using drugs.

We got unjust wars, banker bailouts, environmental pollution, unchecked immigration, subsidies for oil companies, corporate welfare, attacks on our civil rights, destruction of the U.S. Constitution, and corporate puppets running the whole damn show.

People had better start paying attention to the real issues, because Karma is a bitch, and she's in heat.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is worse than most realize. If they were to do tests in my area I am positive that a lot would fail. The real problem is from drinking it from the tap water. i do water tests and the amount of hormone, meth, and other barbiturates in our local drinking water would be enough for some. On another note, poor people don't by bottled water, whether its better for you or not.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Florida is more rural and elderly. Try this in New York. I do actually support this policy, Because if you're going to ask the state for help, you should at least be of a sound state of mind for the process of helping yourself, and I as a tax payer don' want my flipping money going to drug lords who kill my fellow man in Mexico and the Southern US.

I can't fathom why you would favor no drug test.
edit on 28-8-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
What an unbelievable conflict of interest! I can't believe Rick Scott has not been recalled in a special election. There is absolutely no way that setting up his shares in a trust for his wife is sufficient. He should have DONATED the money made by sellinghis shares to medical services for the poor and indigent.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Utterly pathetic they won't be getting any just because they aren't rich enough to abuse prescription drugs.

We are coming for you, conservatism. The result is your utter destruction. Demographics baby. that is something you simply can not stop.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
So, what happens when the 2% of people who failed the test can't/won't pay the $30 testing fee? Collections? Jail?

What happens when they don't get the money that the gov't ha been giving them. Do you think they will get a job? Probalby not. Steal? Most likely....

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Back in the 70's the mayor of Milwaukee tried something like this.

Every family on welfare with at least one able bodied man was sent a letter to come to city hall on a certain day to pick up snow shovels and be given a hydrant assignment. The deal was, shovel the fire hydrant, you still get your check. Something like 30% didn't even show up to get the shovels. The families were chosen based on how close they were to hydrants that needed shovelling.

It takes about 20-30 minutes to open up a hydrant after a heavy snow, much less if it's only a few inches.

We moved that spring so I'm not sure how it turned out, and I can't find anything online, but I'm sure the ACLU fought it.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If they are using the same urine test that a probation office would use then its a waste of time if it is not a same day random test. Couple of days and some water and not smoking I could pass a piss test for probation without a sweat. If this was to work it would have to be same day or maybe next day so you couldn't prepare for it. I have no problem with this policy if you are using social service.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
My opinion on welfare as a Brit.

Originally was to protect the unfortunate, before it was work houses or starvation and crime.

Since then it is a means to prevent riots by those that have nothing whilst they see the rich have everything and still want the little the poor have. Unemployment is a tool used by the rich to keep wages low.

The native tribes of the rainforest are held up by some as the natural way yet their societies use drugs. We all do.

The bankers bailout was not dependant on testing negative for coc aine yet the poor that have to pay for it are being drugs tested to be able to receive what they and other have paid for in their taxes.

Forget your petty prejudices and stand up for your fellow man because the way things are going you will be there yourselves soon enough.

The rich have never been richer, the gap between the rich and poor never greater and the numbers of poor grow daily.

Wake up and realise the difference between them and you is about 2 wage packets. Agree with their misuse and denial of human rights at your peril. You will be there soon enough and when there please don’t get angered by those who care less, you were once one of them.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Makeshift

Originally posted by here4awhile
reply to post by pshea38

And if you're willing to do that how about you take entitlement away from people who eat too much red meat? Or drink too much pop? Or...by god...spank their children!!

How bout that?

Those things you mention are all legal. Drugs are not. If you want to collect welfare then you cannot do illegal things. Especially when the govt help can be used to facilitate such illegal activities. Why should any tax payer have to pay for anybody else's illegal drugs?

Why should any tax payer bail out the Banks - oh yes, I forgot - that's legal!

Why don't the Government just hand out free Nooses to those who are left with nothing to live for? Oh I forgot they already did that - it's just the Nooses are invisible ones!

The Government has been making Megga Money from Drugs for years - Is that legal do you think?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

This is so stupid! I believe that urine tests are unconstitutional in the first place and the government has no business in our personal lives! Why can't we test government workers all the way from the top down. I bet the results would be very surprising(above 2%), and still they would get their outrageous salaries and bonuses!
I think a good majority of congress must be on drugs, just look at what they have done-nothing.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthbell
It may also be that the welfare recipients are all just using entheogens/hallucinogens

Basically free to acquire

Don't show up in a test

hah.. that'd be awesome if that were the case

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I fully support this being initated country wide. The state of la tried unsuccessfully to pass a state bill to do the same thing. I urge gov Jindal and our state legislature to bring this back for a vote. Nothing makes me more angry, then supporting a bunch of free loaders. Yes people on welfare should not be sitting around smoking weed all day, while at work suppoting you and your 16 kids. Yes it's time to get off that big getto booty and work like the rest of us.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bodcausailor

What more is there to be said. Yeah string up the freeloaders with 16 kids.

Next will be tax the minimum pay workers as they are too thick and have 14 kids, some even smoke and own a TV

Thought this site was to oppose TPTB not do the work for them?

Anyhow as long as we attack each other and let the rich sip champagne there's no foul.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join