It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida's urine test for poor people yields results

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
A full 2% of Floridian welfare recipients, or about 2000 people won't be getting state benefits.

With roughly 100,000 recipients forced to pay for their screening costing $30 the companies in charge of the screening (particularly Mr. Governor's business) will rake in $3 million. He did however, manage to save the state $98,000 of the $138 million the program costs.

Welfare drug-testing yields 2% positive results

ETA: I feel the need to add that I don't support this policy in the slightest, it's absurd and the results fly in the face of those who wholeheartedly believe that those on welfare are the 'scum' of the earth just taking tax payer money and using it to buy drugs instead of food or pay their bills. Good job Rick Scott, you saved your state $100,000 a year and increased your bank account by $3 million.
edit on 28-8-2011 by links234 because: More thoughts.

edit on 8/28/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

+40 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

2% is hardly anything to cry about.....

now if we did all public servants I'm sure we will yeild bigger results

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
That just goes to prove that wellfare dosn't pay enough to buy drugs.
I bet they where really sad when it came back as only 2%.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I wonder how many people they got off the books because they were able to deny them benefits because the folks couldn't afford the 30 bucks for the drug test.

I'm going to wager plenty more than 2%.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It may also be that the welfare recipients are all just using entheogens/hallucinogens

Basically free to acquire

Don't show up in a test

+30 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I can't believe this is happening or that people on this sort of forum would support it. I thought we were against Big Brother? What business is it of others whether people are on drugs or not? Apart from which being hooked on drugs is a an addiction, a medical/psychological condition. So you would make the whole family suffer for this?
This is all so Orwellian. How long before you are refused welfare because you simply don't 'fit'? It's a slippery slope.
edit on 28-8-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
We could ban the DEA and save billion!The police states of America have to go.

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
that entire story stinks bad of corruption and MASSIVE conflict of intrest. this kind of treatment of welfare recipients is what make me as an american rage!!!
i need to log off now im so pissed it aculy went threw
Wake up america, Stand up.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar

Wow, you read my mind.

And they made them pay for it - themselves?
Do you know what 30 dollars is to you when you are poor?
I'm not on welfare, but that's my darn grocery budget for the week.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
A full 2 of Floridian welfare recipients, or about 2000 people won't be getting state benefits.

With roughly 100,000 recipients forced to pay for their screening costing $30 the companies in charge of the screening (particularly Mr. Governor's business) will rake in $3 million. He did however, manage to save the state $98,000 of the $138 million the program costs.

Welfare drug-testing yields 2% positive results

In the article you linked to it states that the people that test clean are reimbursed, it also says that the states net savings will be as high as $98,400, thats after factoring in reimbursment. Maybe after testing positive they will be enrolled into drug rehab or decide to go on their own. Is that a bad thing?

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Next let's take all welfare entitlements from those who drink alcohol and/or
smoke tobacco.
Fair is only fair.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by pshea38
smoke tobacco.
Fair is only fair.

And if you're willing to do that how about you take entitlement away from people who eat too much red meat? Or drink too much pop? Or...by god...spank their children!!

How bout that?
edit on 28-8-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

edit to add: I failed to see the sarcasm here...I have thus thoroughly facepalmed myself...thx
edit on 28-8-2011 by here4awhile because: facepalm

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

/agree And I will tell you one thing top roman dosnt taste good after a while esp. when your water gets shut off. And I gots a job. Things are just getting too expencive. Ty mc donalds for the free internet

edit on 28-8-2011 by jonco6 because: +

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

so basically its kicking people off of wellfare, taking the money thats saved from a years worth of wellfare and indirectly giving it to the governor via his screening lab company profits.

thats about par for the course

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
reply to post by pshea38

And if you're willing to do that how about you take entitlement away from people who eat too much red meat? Or drink too much pop? Or...by god...spank their children!!

How bout that?

Those things you mention are all legal. Drugs are not. If you want to collect welfare then you cannot do illegal things. Especially when the govt help can be used to facilitate such illegal activities. Why should any tax payer have to pay for anybody else's illegal drugs?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Makeshift

Did you even see the post I was referring to? Cig's and Alcohol are just as legal...as long as you're of age...

I also take note that you actually support this type of thing...it was nothing more than a ponzy scheme to suck the state's money straight into the governor's wallet...people on welfare are on it for a good reason...there are obviously very few who are taking advantage of the system...so why make the state pay for it...which they, the people, in turn pay for through taxes just to fill some bastards bank account?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

also per the article, similarly large sums of money are given to college students in the form of financial aid. what percentage of them would test positive for illegal drugs? good grief 25% probably if not more.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

if it doesnt save the state money, whats the point in doing it.

drug rehab programs also cost money, not only are they subsidized by the state, but they also cost the patients money, especially those who would be forced to go under state mandated rehab, as in your proposal. as they would have recently come off welfare without any insurance to cover the treatment it would be prohibitively expensive.

in other words it would be a colossal waste of tax dollars.

the only ones who win are the people who own the drug testing lab, and the people who own the rehab facility. probably the same people, the legislators pushing this bull# through the pipe.
edit on 28-8-2011 by snarfbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile

Originally posted by pshea38
smoke tobacco.
Fair is only fair.

How bout that?

Hello! Sarcasm! Hence the anger graphic!
The twisted authorities condemn drugs on the one hand and condone drugs on the other.
Depends who is twisting their corrupted arms, I am guessing.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
This is plain and simple prejudice and you can bet they have not even started to draw the line on who gets and who does not get welfare, all decided by their penny pinching fundamental, righteous, judgement........

"Four legs good ...Two legs bad" .......

edit on 28-8-2011 by xsheep because: fix emoticon

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join