It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So... who decided to get rid of the gold standard?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
So I have never REALLY investigated the (\"gold standard\"). So upon further reading I now know why we are no longer and can never use it again. The main reason I can see is not having the ability to print more money than we had gold(which has become the (standard). The other reason would be all the debt we already have would need to be paid off first. (Ill pause for your laughter). Anyhow, I know I am probably wrong in my assumptions so is there anybody that actually knows about this that can clear the air? I found this article very infomative and would urge all to read, even if you already know about this it is very interesting. I guess my main question would be how did going away from the gold standard ever get passed and why? It clearly goes against the constitution as making anything but gold and silver yadda yadda ? useconomy.about.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
nixon.

ETA: Dear ATS mods, this is a prime example of how a one line post can suffice.

edit on 28-8-2011 by highpriestess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by highpriestess
nixon.

ETA: Dear ATS mods, this is a prime example of how a one line post can suffice.

edit on 28-8-2011 by highpriestess because: (no reason given)

Yes your funny but you failed to answer the question fully. Why did he get rid of it?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

come ON, you know you love me... you would have said the same thing.
plus i DID answer the question. the topic title said (and i quote) "So... who decided to get rid of the gold standard?" - just think of me as that obnoxious parent that says "go look in the encyclopedia" (if there are still people here who remember encyclopedias... the books, not the wiki's...)

plus, i would be a real snobby rockstar if i didn't let the nine billion replies that are going to follow mine, explain HOW and WHY. i covered the WHO

ETA: OP - google "Nixon gold standard"

edit on 28-8-2011 by highpriestess because: i AM a rockstar

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Yep Nixon did it.

Here's a link that explains it all for you since it's too much to type.

answers.yahoo.com...

I know it's a weak source but since you are asking here instead of searching for your answer it will suffice

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The Rothschilds bought up as much gold as they could get their hands on. The Chinese have also bought gold. The problem is that our idiot govt got us into so much debt that they used our gold in the Treasury to pay off the debts. Remember the fiasco about sending bogus gold to China? Why do you think Ron Paul wants to check how much gold is actually in Fort Knox?
Another aspect of this is that gold is still being mined, and that puts more wealth into the world market in general. There is still gold deep in the earth. Unfortunately the wicked ones still control that as well. But one has to wonder about that gold mine in the Yellowstone area which is owned by an independent citizen and he is being held hostage by the envirowhackos who dont want that mine to be developed for environmental reasons. One can only surmise that an independent citizen mining gold on his own private property would be a fly in the ointment of the NWO. They cannot afford to have someone like that controlling a major gold mine.Gold is too valuable a commodity and they want the world on fiat currency.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
By the way, Reagan had a study done on balancing the budget and a return to the gold standard, but according to the Mises Inst. the committee was stacked with opponents of the gold standard. Whether this was by design or because Reagan was surrounded by the Shadow govt I do not know. I liked Reagan and thought he was sincere, but again, they put him in his place didn't they with that assassination attempt.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Sutton- The War On Gold

www.collativelearning.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
fdr did during ww2 not to mention confiscation of citizns gold.

and yeah nixon did it reagan tried to put us back on it to no avial and that was before 10s of trillions of dollars have been printed.

the simple fact is there is not enough gold to back us currency and if we did ever go back to the gold standard guess who cant print money.

we will never go back on the gold standard because that cuts the federal reserves power and that wont happen.

you can blame the bilderbergs or the rorthchilds feel free

personally i blame the government they giveth and they taketh away as in gold standard and no gold standard.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

The Fed did, the reason being you cannot have infinite debt with a finite resource. They wanted infinate debt to make YOU and me and every otehr peon a debt slave. Welcom to the nightmare.
edit on 28-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling error

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
theres a second part

to this equation that most people are not thinking of

as long as the dollar and oil are tied together

it will never happen that is until the oil runs out.

top topics

join