It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Election Spending for '04 Tops $1 Billion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 05:19 AM
link   
This political season has seen a record level of fundraising and spending. The spending in 2004 has topped the 1 billion mark for all political campaigns.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - There's still more than two months to go before Election Day and despite new campaign finance laws money is being spent at a dizzying pace

The spending tops mid-election year levels in 2002 and 2000, when national party committees could still raise corporate, union and unlimited donations known as soft money.

The presidential and congressional candidates and the national party committees that support them have already laid out more than $1 billion for the 2004 election cycle.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is really getting out of hand. How many favors will have to be "repayed" when the candidates evetually win? With the presidential candidates spending at least a 1/2 billion combined for what a 400,000 a year job you just know that the special interests will be running the show. We really need to get serious about spending limits and campaign finance reform

[edit on 21-8-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This is pathetic, one BILLION dollars!? I don't think most people really realize how much that is because it sounds so much like million and when it comes to US politics, they are basically interchangeable and nobody thinks twice about it. I think every time the media reports on political spending, they should actually write it out- $1,000,000,000- I think people would react more to that, because this is just a complete waste of money that could easily help a lot of people. That could probably provide food and shelter for a year for the poorest million people in the country at a thousand buck each. And the worst part of it is, that it is getting spent on all of these dumbass attack ads and Vietnam BS and nothing that is productive for the country. Something needs to change and I don't think that can be done by Democrats OR Republicans.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Oo, I'm aghast with surprize!

new topics

join