It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Mary, Maryland dam on red alert due to potential failure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Hopefully it stay strong...

Md. County Warns Of Potential Dam Failure

Officials in St. Mary's County are warning of a potential dam failure at St. Mary's Lake near Callaway.

They issued the Code Red notification at 10:40 p.m. Saturday after Hurricane Irene poured more than seven inches of rain in the area.

The county says a dam failure may cause significant flooding that could threaten people, homes and roads downstream.

Stay safe people!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Hopefully it stay strong...

Md. County Warns Of Potential Dam Failure

Officials in St. Mary's County are warning of a potential dam failure at St. Mary's Lake near Callaway.

They issued the Code Red notification at 10:40 p.m. Saturday after Hurricane Irene poured more than seven inches of rain in the area.

The county says a dam failure may cause significant flooding that could threaten people, homes and roads downstream.

Stay safe people!

I'd give them a big cookie if they'd be real clear on this and get it straight. I heard the same thing you're reporting about 20 minutes ago. About 3 minutes ago the same reporters on CNN Newsroom came back to say ooooo....we meant water might come over the top of the dam and residents might awake to water from topping, not a dam failure. Yet.... Umm.. Red Alert for possible water over the top...and no other threat? The media can be really maddening sometimes.

Update: CNN has definitely gone to saying this was never a threat of dam failure and the threat is strictly about overflow/topping. In all fairness to the report that started the thread, they absolutely DID say a total dam FAILURE was possible the first several times they referenced this.

edit on 28-8-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I just saw this on CNN, yeah this could be real bad. And the thing is, is that Maryland is just getting the first taste of this Hurricane...Hopefully that dam holds or the civil engineers can do something to avert the dam from breaking...at least tell people to get the hell out. I've been glued to the live feeds posted here on ATS since last nite, and right now have the News stations on monitoring what all is going on with Irene.

Hope and pray that dam holds.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Stay safe everyone. It's suppose to last until about 7AM. That's a long time. It only lasted about 2 hours here. Unbelievable.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Just caught this in the latest flood warnings in maryland.

FLOOD STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
119 AM EDT SUN AUG 28 2011

MDC009-037-281430-
/O.CON.KLWX.FA.W.0042.000000T0000Z-110828T1430Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
CALVERT MD-ST. MARYS MD-
119 AM EDT SUN AUG 28 2011

* ST. MARYS RIVER NEAR GREAT MILLS WAS NEAR CREST AT 12.9 FEET AT 1
AM. UPSTREAM FROM THIS LOCATION...THE ST MARYS LAKE WAS RISING. AT
THIS TIME...LOCAL OFFICIALS REPORT THAT THERE IS NO DANGER OF THE
DAM BEING BREACHED. HOWEVER...AS THE LAKE CONTINUES TO RISE...WATER
LEVELS COULD REACH THE SPILLWAY. IF THIS OCCURS...OR IF HEAVY RAIN
MOVES BACK INTO THE AREA...RIVER LEVELS AT GREAT MILLS COULD BEGIN
TO RISE AGAIN.
edit on 8/28/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
...i just read several articles that said theres no risk of the dam failing - just water coming over the top and about 28 homes would be affected...

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Yep...loadsa fear...just what's called for!
BTW don't forget the 10th anniversary of such a huge fear generator
is coming up pretty soon!
Eternal Suckers, One and All!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/45e13f4f43cb.jpg[/atsimg]

Be Afraid!...Be Very Afraid!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

I like the flowers you are wearing there in your hair! Are they gardenia's or white roses?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexedandconfused
reply to post by pshea38

I like the flowers you are wearing there in your hair! Are they gardenia's or white roses?

They were actually red roses that turned white through fear!
I wouldn't be seen dead in gardens!

It's all this fear, you see. I Am F* Terrified, All The Time. I can't think straight
or even walk straight now. (see photograph)
Oh Mama!!

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Hi OP,listen I wrote a thread about TPTB deliberately releasing a dam up state NY,to flood Wall St.I am writing from Australia and do not no the terrain of the area you speak of.I know that Maryland is below meaning south of NY,but is the area at a higher elevation than NY and is it possible that the water could run down hill in a northern direction ? Do any of the water ways link ?I would apprieciate any insight on the above.
Here is a link to the thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks

edit on 28-8-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

top topics

join