It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to re-classify the term 'UFO"?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
If you're anything like me, you're probably sick to your back teeth of reading a post title with the term "UFO" in it only to be presented with a tiny white dot of light hovering aimlessly around an inky-black night sky somewhere that someone obviously found astounding enough to actually bother filming...

Perhaps it's time to re-classify the term "UFO"?

Many of these above mentioned videos could honestly be almost anything from planes, helicopters, Chinese lanterns, radio-controlled toys, to meteors. I think a more accurate term for these videos would be Unidentified Flying Night-time Lights - or UNFLs. Maybe there should be a separate forum for these kinds of videos where those so inclined can spend countless hours staring at them trying to ascertain what they actually are. I for one would count myself out of that particular gathering.

In order to find any kind of credible evidence or information about UFOs, we need to be reasonably certain we are actually seeing something unusual or advanced. A structured vehicle of some kind that is in flight. And in order to actually see any structure, it would need to usually be a daylight sighting. With that in mind I would propose a sub-category for UFOs that helps define such an event. Perhaps the term "Unidentified Flying Structured Craft" or UFSC would be more incisive a term to differ real/possibly real sightings from these boring night-time light shows..

J.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a ufo is a ufo. if its flying and unidentified. weather its an orb, saucer, bug, triangle, humanoid. its a ufo.

but good luck.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
If it's witty, smart, and logical, it will catch on fast. Give it a try and see if it works on people.

I'm probably going to stick with U.F.O. though, so I guess it probably won't catch on anytime soon.
I do agree with you though.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
What about UAO?

Unidentified Airborne Object

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
UFO [Unidentified Flying Object]

Does not, REPEAT does not only mean possible "Alien craft" It means it is Unidentified and is Flying. Could be anything as has already been stated.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
agreeing with the post above mine. anything flying and unidentified IS a UFOcalling it a UNL or whatever isn't going to make ANY difference at all.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
How about CGI, everyone on ATS seems to call them that anyway.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I can kind of see that. Maybe categorize them as "Kind" as in "close encounters of...".

UFOs of the first kind (UFO1) would be unidentified lights.
UFOs of the second kind (UFO2) maybe something with an apparent structure or form.
UFOs of the third kind (UFO3), of course, would be the holy grail. Something that defies definition

Just my first thoughts. Hopefully someone will take this and refine it.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
UCL

Unidentified Chinese Lantern.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I like this topic.. I've tried posting a thread on an unidentified craft. I know it's military. But I don't want to say UFO because it draws the wrong people to converse on the topic. I know it is ours. "Human" .. Maybe we should come up with classifications. Unidentified Earthly Craft? UEC. Unidentified Glowing Orbs. UGO's. Sounds like a plan to me.. I'm in..

edit on 28-8-2011 by Bobaganoosh because: didn't realize it wasn't a rant

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
a ufo is a ufo. if its flying and unidentified. weather its an orb, saucer, bug, triangle, humanoid. its a ufo.

but good luck.

That's the whole point of my thread
to re-classify the term so that people are not wasting our time...

2nd

J.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

Historically, people have been trying a lot of definitions and they always end up meaning the same thing to other people (UFO). Leslie Kean has connections to NARCAP (and other groups) and has been using UAP (unidentified aerial phenomena), APRO used to use UAO (unidentified aerial object). Originally, lights, triangles and whatever else, everything was called flying saucers.

If you look around, the 3-letters have been broken down into other categories like 'balls of light (BOL),' 'nocturnal lights,''discs' and others.

At the end of the day, no matter what we call them, you say UFO (unidentified doohdah) and most on ATS think 'alien spaceship.' Even those folk swapping UFO for UAP, people's brains are switching it back to UFO and thinking 'Cool, aliens!'

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
If it's witty, smart, and logical, it will catch on fast. Give it a try and see if it works on people.

I'm probably going to stick with U.F.O. though, so I guess it probably won't catch on anytime soon.
I do agree with you though.

Why thanks JibbyJedi. I'm glad people can see what I'm getting at here...

2nd

J.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
What about UAO?

Unidentified Airborne Object

LOL! Yes. Problem is that that could also be applied to little white lights in the night sky...

That's why I'm proposing the change.
J.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
UFO [Unidentified Flying Object]

Does not, REPEAT does not only mean possible "Alien craft" It means it is Unidentified and is Flying. Could be anything as has already been stated.

Yes, I'm well aware what the term UFO means.

But be honest, no-one is really that fascinated with Chinese lanterns or radio-controlled planes are they? We are all - to a man - looking for something far more interesting and unusual are we not? And as long as indiscriminate white lights floating around at night can be categorized as "UFOs" - we have a problem...

J.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AuirOverrun
agreeing with the post above mine. anything flying and unidentified IS a UFOcalling it a UNL or whatever isn't going to make ANY difference at all.

I think you're missing the whole point of what I said in the OP.

2nd.

J.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by bphi1908
How about CGI, everyone on ATS seems to call them that anyway.

As long as the CGI shows something "structured" and actually observable other than a 'light" in the night sky - it's fair game I say..

J.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
I can kind of see that. Maybe categorize them as "Kind" as in "close encounters of...".

UFOs of the first kind (UFO1) would be unidentified lights.
UFOs of the second kind (UFO2) maybe something with an apparent structure or form.
UFOs of the third kind (UFO3), of course, would be the holy grail. Something that defies definition

Just my first thoughts. Hopefully someone will take this and refine it.

Hopefully.

Because it's sorely needed I think.

J.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
UCL

Unidentified Chinese Lantern.

LOL!

One for the nightime bunch!

J.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bobaganoosh
I like this topic.. I've tried posting a thread on an unidentified craft. I know it's military. But I don't want to say UFO because it draws the wrong people to converse on the topic. I know it is ours. "Human" .. Maybe we should come up with classifications. Unidentified Earthly Craft? UEC. Unidentified Glowing Orbs. UGO's. Sounds like a plan to me.. I'm in..

edit on 28-8-2011 by Bobaganoosh because: didn't realize it wasn't a rant

Another voice of sanity in the Wilderness!

Thank You.

J.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join