It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Locked Up and Left Behind: Hurricane Irene and the Prisoners on New York`s Rikers Island

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY PUT OPTIONS WERE PLACED ON COMPANYS THAT COULD BE EFFECTED BY THE HURRICANE. PUT OPTIONS ARE A BET INSURING YOUR MONEY IF THE STOCKS FALL. Over 40,000 put options where placed on multiple airline companys the day before 9/11. Put options made that day were as high as 11 times the daily normal for some airline companys... IF PUT OPTIONS ISNT LEGAL INSIDER TRADING I DONT KNOW WHAT IS

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
The interesting part of this thread to me is how perfectly it highlights Americans thirst for extra-judicial revenge.

Any time an issue involving inmates pops up, the general consensus seems to be "Meh - kill 'em all", regardless of circumstance or crime.

Disturbing, but not surprising.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by Signals

Worried about being locked up during a hurricane while in prison? Don't do the crime if you can't do the time, far as im concerned they deserve alot worse than being made to sit indoors during a class 1 hurricane. We should drag the whole lot of you out into the woods and give you what your victims got, that would be poetic justice.

Yeah and let's kill the guards, too, because its their fault for wanting to work around a bunch of sickos! Cause we know there's never ever been such thing as a false conviction overturned by DNA evidence. Yeah there aren't a ton of cases still waiting to be resolved is there? So there's no chance that any of them are innocent. And even if they are innocent of that particular crime, if they look guilty enough to convict, chances are, they probably deserve it for something else they did in life that they got away with. They probably smoked a joint or snorted a line at some point.

Don't forget about all the goddamm basterds that are in there for things like growing marijuana or for killing the sob who raped their daughter, yeah they all deserve to rot in hell. Meanwhile, people like you and me deserve a freaken medal because we've been fortunate enough to be born into a better situation where we didnt have to join a street gang in order to survive, and we didnt dare to defy the government by providing other people with the mind opening substance that some people rely on for medical purposes called marijuana. Probably 30 or 40 people deserve the sentence they got. Maybe less. A staggering majority are in there for drug related crimes, and I don't mean they murdered someone over a drug deal gone bad, they were just caught having some drugs on them with intent for sale. And I know these drugs are bad for you, but when over half the people in prison are in there for that, we have to say enough is enough. Jaywalking and shoplifting is bad, too, but we don't take them away from their families for a minimum mandatory sentence of 8 years or MORE... Families are being destroyed for Christs sake! Kids need a mommy and a daddy, even if the mom or dad isn't perfect, as long as they aren't abusing their child, they are doing good just by being a part of their life.

It's even more rediculous when you realize how most of the drugs are getting in the country to begin with.
They create economic difficulty in certain neighborhoods for certain people, and they supply them with the means to get out of their economic hole, and then punish them severely for doing so.

They could eliminate every drug dealer by legalizing these substances that noone is gonna stop using anytime soon. It's been proven that a lot of people as kids or young adults end up trying it Just Because it is illegal, so it has a certain allure to it. Make it legal, and do an ad campaign using celebrities portraying it as uncool, bombard the public with awareness and put an 18 year age limit and make it illegal to drive under the inluence. I guarantee you will have less people doing these drugs.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

It's like triage in a hospital, or a disaster, where you assign degrees of urgency to patients. It's not always easy to handle, but tough decisions have to be made and it takes a strong person to triage.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by billy197300

Then we should probably just line them up in front of firing squads and get it over with, right?

On a side note, how did you know how old my daughter is?

Creepy....

Ummm yeah..!!

Acctually, believe that the punishment should fit the crime. Murder for Murder, Rape for Rape, Molestation for Molestation, theft for theft...etc... "in the exact same way their crime was committed"..

This is the only way I think that the message will ever get cacross to criminals.
edit on 8/29/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyteskye

I disagree. Tough circumstances call for tough decisions. While I think the mayor knew this hurricane was going to be downgraded to cat 1 or tropical storm, in no way do I believe his intent was just to deliberately abandon Rikers. It's called triage. It happens in hospital ER's all the time, as well as the scene of disasters. I once had to triage at a natural disaster, along with several other nurses and doctors. It tore me up to have to "select" those who could be treated and those who could not based on their injuries. Those are very difficult decisions, and until you have to be the one in charge of those decisions, it's best not to judge.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by billy197300

Then we should probably just line them up in front of firing squads and get it over with, right?

On a side note, how did you know how old my daughter is?

Creepy....

Ummm yeah..!!

Acctually, believe that the punishment should fit the crime. Murder for Murder, Rape for Rape, Molestation for Molestation, theft for theft...etc... "in the exact same way their crime was committed"..

This is the only way I think that the message will ever get cacross to criminals.
edit on 8/29/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

So...you support Sharia Law then?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

It seems that you have never been arrested, which is good, so don't misunderstand.... but people being held in jail, regardless of whether or not they have been formally charged, are still called prisoners.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Bloomberg was behind not allowing first responders at the 9/11 memorial too...

What the heck is wrong with this guy?
edit on 1-9-2011 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by BadNinja68

.. but people being held in jail, regardless of whether or not they have been formally charged, are still called prisoners.

Those who don't know better call them prisoners, but the correct term is "Detainee". Convicts, prisoners, Inmates or detainees - none are people you want to be.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join