It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Locked Up and Left Behind: Hurricane Irene and the Prisoners on New York`s Rikers Island

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
While I agree with HauntWok, I also think that even though someone may be guilty, a life is a life. Even if my opinion may differ case by case, no one should be stranded/deserted.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I think you summed up the situation very well. Sadly, judging by some remarks here the TPTB or whoever they are, job is done and the people are already desensitized and uncaring.

Originally posted by Signals

Disgusting

Before you post a "they're criminals, so what they deserve it" comment...they are Human Beings.

This is conditioning, right before our very eyes.

IMO, TPTB are getting ready for a total police state, this is just more evidence.

Regardless of the outcome of this hurricane, all of these lives have been deemed worthless...why not just execute them all now

Katrina showed us what FEMA and those in control are really all about.

solitarywatch.com
(visit the link for the full article)
edit on 27-8-2011 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Worried about being locked up during a hurricane while in prison? Don't do the crime if you can't do the time, far as im concerned they deserve alot worse than being made to sit indoors during a class 1 hurricane. We should drag the whole lot of you out into the woods and give you what your victims got, that would be poetic justice.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I believe many here are missing a huge point...

Ok, so we now know that the "crisis" has been averted (if there ever really was such a serious one or not).

This thread is still highly relevant conversation for future disasters. This country is far too REACTIONARY on valid issues. It would be more efficient to be proactive mixed with a healthy dose of common sense.

It's ironic how people fancy themselves patriots, vehement defenders of old glory, yada yada yahoo. However when an issue such as this arises, people show their true colors... (dare I say alittle less red, white and blue... Alittle more red, white and black.)

If you are content to use our constitution, bill of rights, etc. to put these criminals to trial, conviction and punishment, then you must also uphold that those laws used also extend and protect these people as well. You can't pick and choose who gets to use the perks of the law and who doesn't. It protects us all.

We can delude ourselves into believing we are so civilized, refined, educated, cultured... We've come so far and evolved into such a diplomatic society. When it really matters, all that bs goes right out the window. Born and bred savages educated by and large with superiority complexes and hiding your prejudices just under that made in china veneer.

This world will continue to rot until humanity purifies it's self from the hate, greed, prejudice, and viral consumerism.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm sure one of the safest places to be during a tropical storm (it isn't a hurricane anymore) is behind the concrete walls of a prison. Those "human beings" will be just fine, and live on to milk the tax system of even more money, so don't you worry. Where would you have them stay... your house?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Locked Up and Left Behind...

Ooooh, so sensational. He didn't release all the prisoners of Rikers probably because he knew that all the hurricane hype was severely overstated. And of course it was. New York is not underwater.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Who cares?! There are more important things to be concerned with than criminals. It is not the fault of the citizens that they are in prison, we just have to pay for EVERYTHING they have done, and do, they are a burden on society.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
So let's see, we're supposed to cry for the convicted rapist, we're supposed to cry for the convicted child molester, we're supposed to cry for the convicted murderer?

I don't think so.

I say get the ones that are awaiting trial out of there (innocent before proven guilty), the rest of them should be on their own and may god have mercy on their souls.

I couldn't agree more that many sitting on that Island probably deserve that fate or worse. Not like that though... I would never want to see human beings left to die because it was a matter of finance or expediency. They are, after all, human beings which at least deserve their death to be a deliberate choice for what they've done....not a lack of choice by incompetence.

Thankfully, the Mayor almost certainly new over 36hrs ago that this situation would never be a factor anyway.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
it seems too many people on this site and in this thread have lead very sheltered lives.

for those of us who have been aftected by rape and murder and the myraid of other reasons i have no sympathy for them.

the fact is moving that many prisoners and providing security and transport could have never been accomplished in the amount of time.

and for those people in this thread who are saying some felons life is more important that john doe and jane doe and their families has seriously whacked out priorties.

and the fact remains prisons are the best built most enduring structures that are even built in modern society.

looks like too many people on here watched prison break too many times and think there are just a bunch of nice people there.

seriously disgusting.

meh

edit on 28-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
These are NOT PRISONERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you guys really so ignorant of the facts that you don't even know the difference in a JAIL and a PRISON????
And just think.. some of you VOTE.

Riker's Island is a JAIL. Not a Prisoner.
The majority of the people in there have not even been FORMALLY CHARGED WITH A CRIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most are accused of minor misdemeanors and will either be released R.O.R. ( on your own word) or on bail.
in fact, many will have charges dropped.
It's where you go when you miss a child support payment and have a mean jaded wife while awaiting a hearing.
It's where you go when you get pulled over after 1 beer.. while they wait to give you a BAC test.

once convicted... you'll go to a PRISON .. not back to Riker's.
If not sentenced to a prison term you will be released.

anyone serving TIME in Riker's is doing so for a crimer so low on the scale that you don't deserve to go to prison.

Bieng on the recieving end of a tired cops reasoning isn't worth being left behind locked in a cage in a " devastating Natural Disaster" ( bloombergs own words here)

Too many of you have watched TV and think everyone who lands in any jail are "Mother stabbers and Father Rapers".
( Arlo G. reference to those old enough to catch it )

It's a Jail.
Not a supermax.

The level of ignorance shown on this topic amazes me.
Stop calling them prisoners. They are not.
Stop calling it a Prison. It's not.
It's a county Jail.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Sounds like they would be just as safe there as anyone else who might have hunkered down. Really Cat 1 is no big deal in that regard. Even if they lost power for 24 hours, they'd be ok, and it's probly on a back up generator anyway being a federal type building.
It's not like when the hospital personnel were leaving their patients to die with no electric in Katrina. That was bad, and they were euthanizing patients they thought were terminal. The outrage should really be in perspective.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I understand that people on Rikers are not even convicted of crimes, they are waiting for a trial.
Remember the concept of the presumption of innocence.

In light of what occurred to the inmates in prisons in the Katrina disaster it is very strange they didn’t do anything for these prisoners on Rikers. This to me is another proof that elements of this whole Irene thing is questionable, and has spy-op written all over it.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
I understand that people on Rikers are not even convicted of crimes, they are waiting for a trial.
Remember the concept of the presumption of innocence.

In light of what occurred to the inmates in prisons in the Katrina disaster it is very strange they didn’t do anything for these prisoners on Rikers. This to me is another proof that elements of this whole Irene thing is questionable, and has spy-op written all over it.

Here ya go Inforeal ol buddy

nymag.com...

We carefully reviewed Rikers Island, as we have done with the entire city, and no section [original emphasis] of Rikers Island facilities are in Zone A.

Rikers Island facilies are not in low-lying areas, it's not a coastal location and, like nearby small islands Roosevelt Island and City Island, it does not need to be evacuated. We focused on the areas where real dangers exist.

A full Corrections Department staff will remain on Rikers Island and the facility is a fully self-sustaining entity, prepared to operate and care for inmates in extended emergency conditions."

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
When i was in prison in Florida I was evacuated twice during the devastating hurricanes of 2004. All the prisoners also took part in making and transporting thousands of sandbags. I've seen people ask, "where can they be evacuated to?" The answer is, other prisons in areas that are not in danger from the storm. This is simple stuff. Prisoners are there to be rehabbed. Most of them are there for fairly minor crimes, often victimless. They are people and they deserve to be treated as such. If prisoners are in an evacuation zone, they must be evacuated. Period.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

It's not exactly that bad of a storm. I'd imagine they would HAVE to evacuate them if it was a really bad storm out of risk of having a lot of escaped people.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

you people astound me,Your let them drown they are just crimminals,is one of the stupidist things I have ever come across.The quality of a society is judged on how the lowest part of that society is treated, the history of our species is full of examples of people who just dont matter or are considerd criminals, IN our time you had the Nazis,and the jews, and the ovens . we have prisons built on almost sea level Islands now we have a potential cyclone going to hit it and kill thousands of humans when the SHTF you people will deserve the same mercy as those prisoners.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Where would they evacuate
12,000 prisoners to?

Signal's house.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sharplee

I agree, if they are in an evacuation zone they must be evacuated. It's pretty simple really. These are people waiting for trial or serving time for traffic stops and the like not serial killers. Even if they were they deserve to be evacuated.

Even though a jail/prison may be the safest place to be during a hurricane, it's not safer than somewhere outside the hurricane zone.

I know this was just a tropical storm but if it were a hurricane they would have left them there anyway. The evacuation should have started days ago.

While in the system the state must take care of it's prisoners. They can't be left to die, period.

Strict...

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Like other people have said, they're in a place that's meant to keep people in it and out of it, I think it's more than capable of handling a storm. Also, transporting 12,000 prisoners runs a huge risk of someone escaping. Not to mention unless I was intent on escaping, I would want to stay in the prison.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
It's not a question of whether they are animals. It's a question of whether we are.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join