It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 People at Sea in LifeJackets Rescued - Summons Issued

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Michael Bloomberg just announced two people at sea in life jackets were rescued in New York. The officials issued the offenders a summons after the rescue, for apparently endangering the lives of rescue workers.

No news yet, but I am sure a story will follow.

A question for everyone and I can see both side of the issue, should Americans be fined by the government for engaging in high risk activities?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
bloomberg is a scumbag. he routinely goes to izreal because he is more concerned with profit and xionism than any new yorker.

of course he is going to fine these people for almost drowning. he is obsessed with profit.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
For endangering the lives of the workers I do agree with the fine, however I personally would have let them suffer their fate for being so foolish. They knew what the conditions were going to be like. Shame on them.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

I will throw you a curve ball: If you pay taxes for emergency services, and those services come to your aid, should you be fined for this? Should you be fined for walking through the ghetto at 3am by the police, when they have to respond to help you?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

I will throw you a curve ball: If you pay taxes for emergency services, and those services come to your aid, should you be fined for this? Should you be fined for walking through the ghetto at 3am by the police, when they have to respond to help you?

Should one receive a settlement for being burned by hot coffee?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

Should one receive a settlement for being burned by hot coffee?

I don't think the people being rescued are looking for a settlement. They got rescued.

However, it's a tough call. A fine seems reasonable, if they had died and their family was fined for their stupidity, that would be uncalled for...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Actually that lady received a settlement because the window clerk didn't put the lid of the coffee on tight enough and when the window clerk handed her the coffee she grabbed it by the lid. That is what it was settled out of court I'd imagine the rest of it was part of the stipulations of the settlement. There are some cases where it's just cheaper to settle out of court.

But on topic.

No these people shouldn't be fined, that is what we pay taxes for. The rescue workers could have easily ignored them, but they didn't. Not to be taken as a jab at the search and rescue people as they do provide a valid service. But the fine is a bit ridiculous. It isn't like a suicide where other people are at risk, as the search and rescue are performing the duties of their job. Now if the fine went to the rescue workers I could see that, but we all know it isn't going to end up there.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
You're gonna see a lot more of this sort of thing; like the guy who posted earlier today about the local government having city water piped to his area, but was allowed to decline to hook up because he had his own water well--so now they're charging him $34 a month for *not* using city water.

When the entire economy has been plundered, and local and state governments have been put on starvation diets, they get desperate for revenue. They're going to be pumping and gouging till they've taken your virtual lifesblood and still try to gouge you for more.

Yeah... we're gonna see a LOT more of this....

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Thats the main reason about all the stupid caution stickers in cars or on labels.
Only in america.

Dont forget how honest lawyers are after all.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
its funny...the many times i've bitched about paying taxes, somebody always says "yeah but you like when the ambulance shows up"

and that usually ends the rant

i recently was in an ambulance and it cost $1200 for a few mile ride with oxygen...really

either tax us and don't charge when we need it, or vice versa...not both

(plus $5000 to be in the ER for 2 hours with oxygen, saline. and EKG....yeah $5000 for services that cost around $200 at most)
edit on 27-8-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
its funny...the many times i've bitched about paying taxes, somebody always says "yeah but you like when the ambulance shows up"

and that usually ends the rant

i recently was in an ambulance and it cost $1200 for a few mile ride with oxygen...really

either tax us and don't charge when we need it, or vice versa...not both

(plus $5000 to be in the ER for 2 hours with oxygen, saline. and EKG....yeah $5000 for services that cost around $200 at most)
edit on 27-8-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

Just wanted to say very well-said....

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

City police rescued two kayakers who capsized in the surf off Staten Island. They were found with their life jackets on, bobbing in the roiling water.

www.salon.com...

If these are the two, they deserve the fine.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yep that is the story...Funny salon is the first to bring it up.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
you go fishing and your boat has a malfunction, you are swimming and get caught in the undertow, you have some kind of an accident and need to be rescued = rescue without fines... it's an accident...

you go swimming, boating, surfing, etc... when a hurricane is coming and you were warned that it may be a stupid thing to even stay in the area (IE evacuation notice...) = you deserve to be left to die or deserve a hefty fine once you are rescued...

simple no?
edit on 11/8/27 by Magnum007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Where has anyone's humanity gone?
Are we such a crowd that we can sit here and Judge people and what they deserve without any compassion what so ever?
Are we so desensitized that we could sit at our computers and "know" that "people get what they deserve"?

If that were the case, I see nothing but the average person "getting what's coming to them" by the hands of those that get more than they deserve.

Am I so righteous to type my own personal condemnation of "what people deserve"?
Of course not.
Some people were ignorant.
Those same people got in trouble, and probably were crapping themselves raw.
Some other people saved them.
Cant everyone just leave it at that?

I think I'll get get a cup of coffee, it's going to be a late life....

new topics

top topics

join