It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Level Rise Map

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Many of us may be wondering about sea level rise we keep hearing on the news. Here is a nifty tool we can all use to hone in on a particular area which is expecting sea level rises as a result of the hurricane.

1 meter = 3.2808399 feet

You can select how many meters of sea level rise and see the map change.

geology.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
Many of us may be wondering about sea level rise we keep hearing on the news. Here is a nifty tool we can all use to hone in on a particular area which is expecting sea level rises as a result of the hurricane.

1 meter = 3.2808399 feet

geology.com...

I love the link. It'll be interesting to play with. I couldn't help notice though, they set it for New York as a default at a water level of 21 FEET. I love how they make sure that first visual a visitor from the NYC area gets is a heart stopper until they see the 'default' value. Maybe I'm just getting too cynical, but it sure struck me as an odd opening scene on the map.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well the sea would have to rise some 60 metres to affect where I live although the beach would be a bit nearer

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

1 meter = 3.2808399 feet

geology.com...

I love the link. It'll be interesting to play with. I couldn't help notice though, they set it for New York as a default at a water level of 21 FEET. I love how they make sure that first visual a visitor from the NYC area gets is a heart stopper until they see the 'default' value. Maybe I'm just getting too cynical, but it sure struck me as an odd opening scene on the map.

Yeah, that struck me as odd at first too.

This was really handy though because even in the NY area, it'll still take 60+ meters to reach my house.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller
Well the sea would have to rise some 60 metres to affect where I live although the beach would be a bit nearer

It isn't that simple. Before that, the main roads and public transportation around you will be shut down, also electricity and tap water. That will isolating your area. Even if your home isn't flooded, your life will be affected.

Probably authorities would tell you to evacuate as a preventive mesure. So don't fell too confident.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Oh believe me buddy I am not. Should the shtf I will probably be one of the first out with the Emergency Services.
I am fully aware of the implications of even a small rise in levels

edit on 27-8-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

lol you guys see conspiracies in everything
Although, if it happens that way I will definitely join you on the conspiracy angle.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

NASA scientists confirm the sea level actually dropped over the last 2 years by a 1/4 of a inch seems like it moving in the wrong direction for algore and the global warming'/climate change hoaxers. Get a grip climate is a much more complex and resistant to minor effects caused by biological factors.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

lol you guys see conspiracies in everything
Although, if it happens that way I will definitely join you on the conspiracy angle.

On this topic I'm actually furious about the over-hype and suggestion it's anything but a rather nasty storm in the northern states. N.C. didn't have a good time and V.A. certainly will remember this, but turning to almost any source right now leaves one with imagery, descriptions and general tones to scare the wits out of the public. It's been a growing point of irritation since I pulled up the raw data feeds from the ocean buoys yesterday and realized this was nothing like the hype. Not even remotely CLOSE. You'd think the world was ending........or New York could actually see 21 feet of flood water over the streets.

The fear mongering is getting real people hurt out there in reactions out of proportion to the threat. No conspiracy here. Just a federal system thrilled with the chance for a funded field test of their toys and politicians who see gain in scaring people into depending on them.....and later voting for them. The usual suspects in a truly disgusting situation for it.

new topics

top topics

join