It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something i heard in work today! UK related.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Soft southerners and their rock salt, us in the North have it on our chips and Yorkshire puds.

I too think its a case of being better prepared. Lessons leant so to speak. What wrecked our winter up north was the side roads not being gritted at all. The black ice was like a death walk to the shops and back. A pure dice with luck or a broken back.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

Side roads won't getted gritted anyway. Uness you want to pay more council tax to employ hundreds more gritters

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
salt is cheaper to order at this time of the year compared to the "oh feck we've got less salt than the recommended daily average to cover several hundred miles of roads" so lets pay an absolute fortune for anything we can get our hands on

when i worked in a council even in the middle of the summer they had to check for snow so that if there was a sudden snow storm they could get the gritters out if needed and they recorded the met office predictions to make sure the lawyers couldn't sue

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Edit: worth noting that lack of salt was not a problem last winter (as it had been the winter before).

You obviously don't live anywhere near me then, gritting main roads only (not our road then) and the hill we have to go down to get into town was closed for a while anyway in spite of being gritted (until the gritters couldn't negotiate it)

My hawthorns are telling me it's going to be as bad as last year
the year before last I was joking to people that there was going to be a cold winter because the hawthorns here had an enormous amount of berries after never really having many before, lo and behold we did, they had even more last year so I half jokingly warned people again......... this year I doubt they could fit many more onto the branches so I'm preparing for being practically snowed in again. I hope they're lying to me, I really do

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I call conspiracy with that amount of salt. Salt corrodes metal parts of cars and trucks. Causes them to rust and eventually fail. Auto mechanics and body shops are going to make a indirect killing of this much salt on the roads. Does anyone know if the people pushing the salt behind the scenes are in anyway connected with the automobile service areas?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

There are no serious indications of this

It is the warmist in you my friend
You just can't quite admit that it is not warming, that we are hurtling towards a much colder period.

It has to do with the Sun you know, not CO2.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
I call conspiracy with that amount of salt. Salt corrodes metal parts of cars and trucks. Causes them to rust and eventually fail. Auto mechanics and body shops are going to make a indirect killing of this much salt on the roads. Does anyone know if the people pushing the salt behind the scenes are in anyway connected with the automobile service areas?

So does rain, and it rains a lot in the UK. Using your logic, the rain is also a conspiracy because Chinese Umbrella Factories make a very direct direct killing. Maybe Mechanics, rainclouds and the Chinese are working together and formulating plans at the pub after their Freemason meeting.
edit on 27-8-2011 by Swanfilters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

My hawthorns are telling me it's going to be as bad as last year

Nice to see some people still read the signs.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The UK winter is solely dependent on the Gulf stream/North atlantic flow in moderating the winter temperatures. If it is not working properly or at all, you can expect very cold winters at the UK latitudes.
The prevailing winds are from the West when the GS/NAF is operating normally.
This year, 2011, has not had those Westerlies en masse but often WNW, often Easterlies and quite a few from the blustery south and SE. I would expect it to be reasonable to think that we could have another cold winter, and that the gulf stream is not yet back to normal. The 2010 winter was forecast accurately, with an average temperature being 10° below the normal winter average at our latitude. The forecast was largely ignored because it was done by a geologist who was concerned at the loss of the Gulf stream right at the Gulf of Mexico, due in a big part to the oil spill there. I'll give the links after I sign back on, (I have just lost my AOL toolbar)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Seems consistent with the last couple of years, Salt was a problem as they did not stockpile enough .......so they need to make sure we have enough.

Spending cuts and thinking we are not going to have a bad time was their downfall in the last couple of years.

Save money, give FAT CATS MORE!
edit on 27-8-2011 by vesta because: Missed out an S

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

The UK winter is solely dependent on the Gulf stream/North atlantic flow in moderating the winter temperatures.

Whilst the Gulf Stream has an effect the winter temperatures are actually more controlled by the jetstream and there are many factors that control that. It just is not as simple as the Gulf Stream Drift which by the way is fine and dandy last I heard.

This year, 2011, has not had those Westerlies en masse but often WNW, often Easterlies and quite a few from the blustery south and SE

And there you have it in a nutshell. the jetstream. Watch the jetstream and you will see the blocking. All through the winter it blocked the air flow and forced our weather up to Greenland.

My dearly beloved, pirate Queen and scourge of the high seas, complained that they were stealing our weather. Actually she watches this very closely and pointed it out to me, not the other way round.

edit on 27/8/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The way the UK media loses the plot completely any time there is a hint of snow is rather funny/sad, yet you can bet if you don't have your salt stocks up to scratch after 2 years of the same heads will roll. It's common sense to cover there arse's, shame really it takes that type of motivation.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
While i was at work today, i over heard a manager talking on the phone regarding salt stock, apparently a southern council has ordered 12,000 tonnes of Salt! many of you may not realise this but that is a HUGE amount compared to what we usually have stocked, the last couple of winters we have only had around 4,000 tonnes.

According to some internal reports floating around, uk winter 2011/2012 is going to be a bad one.

That doesn't surprise me, and it's heartening to hear that at least one council finally has the common sense to make sure it has a large stock. The last few winters councils have run out of salt all over the country.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Well that sounds like great news to me! I was there in December 2009 - January 2010 when the entire country was covered in heavy snow, I remember the people stuck sleeping in pubs and much of the transportation ground to a halt... because there wasn't enough salt. The more the better to be prepared next time around.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by moogle

I remember the people stuck sleeping in pubs and much of the transportation ground to a halt... because there wasn't enough salt.

Hold that order!!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by smurfy

The UK winter is solely dependent on the Gulf stream/North atlantic flow in moderating the winter temperatures.

Whilst the Gulf Stream has an effect the winter temperatures are actually more controlled by the jetstream and there are many factors that control that. It just is not as simple as the Gulf Stream Drift which by the way is fine and dandy last I heard.

Those factors include the Gulf stream and you probably know that, that's why meteorologists love to broadcast on the Jet stream, and don't mention the Gulf stream, especially if there is a possible problem, like 2010. You are not correct in saying that the jetstream controls winter weather temperatures, more the reverse, (sic) with the below link,

www.sciencedaily.com...

The Jet stream,
en.wikipedia.org...

Now the scientist I referred to is Dr Gianluigi Zangari, of the Frascati institute, who is not a meteorologist, he is a nuclear theoretical physicist, (not a geologist as I earlier said) you can hear him here,

embedr.com...

He may not mention it in this interview, but he is on record in saying that the satellite maps he used in his theorising, were in fact changed?? that is something you have to take up with the good Dr. I don't care, but the fact is with the data he used, (even though the subject may be somewhat out of his speciality) he came up with an almost 100% forecast for the UK and similar latitude areas, and he made that in very early 2010, not bad for an 'amateur'
Someone said, funny enough just like you, exactly the same thing about the gulf stream looking fine and dandy er, last year. Strange that!

I found the contested maps,

unitednationsoffilm.com...
edit on 27-8-2011 by smurfy because: Add link.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

OK, you continue to think what you wish. I am not going to get into an argument with you about which comes first the gulf or the jet stream. Yes they are intertwined but it is the jetstream that has the most effect on our winter weather.

I am aware of Zangari of the Frascati Institute, and I knew that was who you were talking about. I looked at this theory and frankly it is nonsense and that is why he was ignored.

I have jetstream charts going back a long way - 28,411 of them - which match the satellite weather maps which I also download hourly (there are 31,894 of those on my hard disk excluding several years zipped up) and tells me that the jetstream blocks our weather and leads to the cold we have experienced in the past two winters. And what affects the jetstream? The Sun.

But don't let me distract you from Wikipedia.

As you may gather I am mildly interested in the subject.

Science Daily? Mm, you probably also read it's sister rag News Daily as well?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swanfilters
Surely any thread about local or national government being prepared for anything should be under the "hoax" section?

hahahaha you're so right man. funny.

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
Lol, they can't even tell us what the weather is like right now, let alone more than three months away.

I think this is a precaution as a result of last winter's conditions. Many councils were caught on the hop. Also, if they do order too much, they could probably sell it to other local councils who run dry, at a BIG profit.

Interesting none the less.
edit on 27/8/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

You got the right of it there.

reply to post by smurfy

OK, you continue to think what you wish. I am not going to get into an argument with you about which comes first the gulf or the jet stream. Yes they are intertwined but it is the jetstream that has the most effect on our winter weather.

I am aware of Zangari of the Frascati Institute, and I knew that was who you were talking about. I looked at this theory and frankly it is nonsense and that is why he was ignored.

I have jetstream charts going back a long way - 28,411 of them - which match the satellite weather maps which I also download hourly (there are 31,894 of those on my hard disk excluding several years zipped up) and tells me that the jetstream blocks our weather and leads to the cold we have experienced in the past two winters. And what affects the jetstream? The Sun.

But don't let me distract you from Wikipedia.

As you may gather I am mildly interested in the subject.

Science Daily? Mm, you probably also read it's sister rag News Daily as well?

You sound like you've got some real knowledge there, PuterMan.

Why don't you drop it on those of us who are interested, regardless of the guy you're arguing with? You sound like someone that has come to some real conclusions over the years and I'm real interesting in hearing what you have to say. Please, do go on.
edit on 8/27/2011 by DieBravely because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

I wouldn't read too much in to what the met office say, they have been wrong about the last three winters, completely wrong in fact, telling us we will have a mild winter and ending up having the coldest in over 40 years, also, last year quite a lot of councils ran low on salt which resulted in gritting only major roads, not all though.

They got last winter spot on
You shouldn't beleive what you read in the media.

And overall last winter was not especially cold - only the first few weeks up until Christmas were. Though snow did linger in Scotland for a good while after.

There wasn't much need for gritting in February though, was there?

Edit: it's worth remembering that salt only works under certain conditions and temperatures and with heavy snowfall or very low temperatures it is no more use than sugar or corn flakes. Just because you are snowed in does not mean they have not been out gritting or that had they been doing so the roads would be clear.

edit on 28-8-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

reply to post by Essan

There are no serious indications of this

It is the warmist in you my friend
You just can't quite admit that it is not warming, that we are hurtling towards a much colder period.

It has to do with the Sun you know, not CO2.

Actually it has been suggested that under global warming places like Britain could see a run of colder winters. But at the moment there is no meteorological reason to suppose this winter will be especially cold - but also none to suppose it will not be cold. It's simply too early to call.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join