It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by rayuki
what an absolute joke, just more proof the system is retarded. they probally woulda got less of a sentence if they actually just straight up killed the guy. whats the going rate for murder these days, 5 years with parole after 3?
563.011. As used in this chapter the following terms shall mean:
(1) "Deadly force"[ means], physical force which the actor uses with the purpose of causing or which he or she knows to create a substantial risk of causing death or serious physical injury[.];
(2) "Dwelling"[ means], any building[ or], inhabitable structure,[ though movable or temporary, or a portion thereof, which is for the time being the actor's home or place of lodging.] or conveyance of any kind, whether the building, inhabitable structure, or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night;
(3) "Forcible felony", any felony involving the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual, including but not limited to murder, robbery, burglary, arson, kidnapping, assault, and any forcible sexual offense;
2. A person may not use deadly force upon another person under the circumstances specified in subsection 1 of this section unless:
(1) He or she reasonably believes that such deadly force is necessary to protect himself or herself or another against death, serious physical injury, rape, sodomy or kidnapping or serious physical injury through robbery, burglary or arson] or any forcible felony; or
(2) Such force is used against a person who unlawfully enters, remains after unlawfully entering, or attempts to unlawfully enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle lawfully occupied by such person.
3. A person does not have a duty to retreat from a dwelling, residence, or vehicle where the person is not unlawfully entering or unlawfully remaining.
Originally posted by MysticPearl
This kind of story makes me sick to my stomach. This guy apparently duck taped the girls mouth shut in the middle of the night, and sexually assaulted her. The girls stepfather and uncle retaliated by whipping him and buring him with a cigarette. Now they possibly face more prison time. Wow!
How is burning someone with a cigarette and whipping them in response to sexually assaulting an 8 yr old girl, worse than sexually assaulting a 8 yr old girl?
Originally posted by MRSeuphoric1
This is a perfect example of what I feel is one of Americas Biggest problems. The justice system and it being built on a pyramid Private industry system where people make money off other people being incarcerated and judges are backed by contractors and officials of these private prisons.
Along with that corrupt system, drug addicts, (sicked, diseased people by medical definition) get more time than a child molester as we are seeing here with this revenge case of simple assault. I personally like most others, would probably be guilty of alot more than burning someone with a cigarette if you touched my daughter.
70 % of the prison population in my state is drug offenders. Then you track their theft related crimes like fraud, checks, burglary, and robbery, and you can see that it is directly tied to DRUG addicts. Therefore, if we quit giving the people like these guys, who were obviously temporarily insane from trauma, and other people who dont need to be in prison help, instead of hard time, then not only would the number of people in jail go down but the drug addicts would get the proper they help need and theft related crimes would decrease as well.
Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by MysticPearl
If a man were to duct tape and sexually assault my child,I
would be the one in prison.I don't smack child molesters on
the wrist,I'll put them in their place.
I pray I am never in the position that the Uncle and stepfather are in. But if ever am I will wear those pinstripes with pride.
Originally posted by intrepid
OK, this isn't going to be popular but it's right. Breaking the law because someone else does doesn't absolve you from the crime. Remember the old chestnut, "2 wrongs don't make a right." That said, if it was one of my girls that this happened to they would never find the body. Hypocritical? No, I'd be willing to take the punishment.
Originally posted by intrepid
OK, this isn't going to be popular but it's right. Breaking the law because someone else does doesn't absolve you from the crime. Remember the old chestnut, "2 wrongs don't make a right."
That said, if it was one of my girls that this happened to they would never find the body. Hypocritical? No, I'd be willing to take the punishment.
Originally posted by metaldemon2000
I don't know about anywhere else but sexual assault in canada is a slap on the wrist.