It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update on Hurricane Irene and Best Wishes For Those Who Could Possibly Be Affected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Everyone

Just an update,

Hurricane Irene has caused flights from the UK to be cancelled after hitting the east coast of the US. The storm brought winds of more than 85mph (140km/h) to North Carolina and a quarter of a million people have been told to evacuate New York city. British Airways has cancelled all its flights between London and New York for the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just like to add an update that it looks like Irene could be as dangerous and problematic as originally thought, flights have now been cancelled due to the obvious potential disruption/loss of life.

I'd like to say to everyone that could possibly be affected by whatever remains to come, please take care and get to somewhere safe asap!

My thoughts are with you all
edit on 27/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

It is hardly even making Cat 1

wattsupwiththat.com...

wattsupwiththat.com...

edit on 27/8/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

So I can't say take care if the s*** does hit the fan?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

There is something not right about this whole 'storm' thing. I am so tempted to say "a storm in a teacup". Logically to me it is turning into what we call here a gale! so what's with the evacuations
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

So I can't say take care if the s*** does hit the fan?

Of course you can. My point was that this has been seriously overhyped by the Government and Media.

I saw a video of Bermuda and frankly the waves were small. The text said boats being tossed around - they were rocking gently. We have 90 mph winds here, but we call it a gale not a hurricane, and we don't evacuate the whole of the county - all 170,000 people
- just because of a bit 'o wind.

I have to wonder what the agenda is here? You must evacuate - climate change is causing these massive hurricanes etc etc. Trouble is they are not massive. Why are so many people being totally inconvenienced? Simple, to get them in the mood to accept further nonsense from the climate catastrophe crowd with the aim of achieving complete control. Say it often enough, and demonstrate it often enough - even if it is a scam - and people will believe it.

reply to post by angelchemuel

Yup. See above.

edit on 27/8/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
problem is...katrina was underhyped....and the govt took the blame...now they take the blame for overhyping...reason no good people want to work in govt is because the s... is constantly hitting the fan.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
From personal experience here in Chesapeake, I'm in it right now, still have power and this storm is a joke. All the deaths so far could have been prevented.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
From personal experience here in Chesapeake, I'm in it right now, still have power and this storm is a joke. All the deaths so far could have been prevented.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Alot of areas are being evacuated because the east coast has had such a Wet August there is no where for all this rain to go. The flooding is said to be bad.. They arent actually being evacuated becuause of the Winds.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I have no idea why they media and the govt. has so over hyped this thing. It is absolutely unreal. Irene is nothing but an over rated tropical storm from what I can tell. There has to be a reason for the fear mongering I am almost afraid to find out what its about.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I understand some of the evacuations and warnings that were coming out early on. Coastal areas of NC and the barrier islands - makes sense. They should have been evacuated.

My issues comes with the evacuations in NJ, NY, Maryland, RI. That makes no sense. Some of the warnings these areas put out early on, DID make sense. In a post Katrina world, the last thing any local Government needs is to be accused of not taking the storm seriously. However, this storm began to weaken well before landfall. Every hurricane in history has weakened AFTER it makes landfall. So common sense tells us that by the time it reaches New York after making landfall in North Carolina, the storm will be significantly weaker.

All projections show that this storm will be a tropical depression by the time it reaches NJ/NY areas. That is nothing more than a strong, prolonged thunderstorm. You will see localized flooding but you will not see JFK airport under 20 feet of water. You will not see people wading through chest high water in the streets like you saw in New Orleans after Katrina. That is simply not going to happen.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

you still have hours before the storm force winds even get to you. i hope you make it through this without trees taking out your property. good luck.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I understand some of the evacuations and warnings that were coming out early on. Coastal areas of NC and the barrier islands - makes sense. They should have been evacuated.

My issues comes with the evacuations in NJ, NY, Maryland, RI. That makes no sense. Some of the warnings these areas put out early on, DID make sense. In a post Katrina world, the last thing any local Government needs is to be accused of not taking the storm seriously. However, this storm began to weaken well before landfall. Every hurricane in history has weakened AFTER it makes landfall. So common sense tells us that by the time it reaches New York after making landfall in North Carolina, the storm will be significantly weaker.

All projections show that this storm will be a tropical depression by the time it reaches NJ/NY areas. That is nothing more than a strong, prolonged thunderstorm. You will see localized flooding but you will not see JFK airport under 20 feet of water. You will not see people wading through chest high water in the streets like you saw in New Orleans after Katrina. That is simply not going to happen.

That's not true. it's still a cat 1 storm, and it's still gonna be a cat 1 when it gets here(N.J.) the storm surge is what's going to be bad with this. 6 feet+ in Cape May, and higher up north. that's a LOT of homes getting flooded out along the bay front communities, and barrier islands. i dont think we should let our guards down til tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordpiney

you still have hours before the storm force winds even get to you. i hope you make it through this without trees taking out your property. good luck.
Hours until the eye gets near me, but as it is it's not going to get much worse. The actual hurricane is over my house right now, and when by the time the eye gets here it will still be in the same general location as far as the eye is concerned. The eye will be in the ocean by the time it crosses into VA. Don't buy the hype. It will be a rainstorm by the time it reaches you.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

That's not true. it's still a cat 1 storm, and it's still gonna be a cat 1 when it gets here(N.J.) the storm surge is what's going to be bad with this. 6 feet+ in Cape May, and higher up north. that's a LOT of homes getting flooded out along the bay front communities, and barrier islands. i dont think we should let our guards down til tomorrow.

Yes it is STILL a Cat 1 storm. It will NOT be a Cat 1 when it reaches NJ. Below is the current projection, feel free to look for yourself.

Irene's projected path

Notice how the hurricane is green as it passes over NJ? That green indicates it is projected to pass over with a maximum wind gust of 39-73 mph winds. That makes is a tropical storm, not a hurricane. If you live right on the coast, in bay areas, or on barrier islands then YES. Yes you should take precautions, you should expect some flooding. That is common sense. However, these fear mongers who are claiming JFK airport under 20 feet of water are completely delusional.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by havenvideo

Hours until the eye gets near me, but as it is it's not going to get much worse. The actual hurricane is over my house right now, and when by the time the eye gets here it will still be in the same general location as far as the eye is concerned. The eye will be in the ocean by the time it crosses into VA. Don't buy the hype. It will be a rainstorm by the time it reaches you.

I live 14 miles inland from Atlantic City, and the eye is forecast to track right along the coastline here. im sure that the highest winds will be right over us when it gets here. i hope your right about it being just a rainstorm when it gets here...but i seriously doubt it.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c21eb03161dc.jpg[/atsimg]

Just to put things in perspective, I've marked where I am in Irenes current position in this pic. I could be wrong but am I not in the worst of it?

Obviously I still have power, internet and my house doesn't have any of the 13 trees that surround my house in it. This storm is PATHETIC and OVERHYPED by the media. DON'T BUY IT. You yanks worry too much

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Its really AMAZING to me how the news and everyone else has blown this hurricane into a category 5!

It's barely a category 1! The only thing I see being an issue is possible flooding in low lying areas and wind gusts.

I have been through SOOOOO many hurricanes and my god people don't get this excited here over one unless its a 3 or higher maybe a 2, then again we are USE to this in Florida, other states like NY and NJ are not use to this.

It is better to be safe than sorry even if it is a little silly.

In 2004 we got hit with FOUR of these kinds of storms and we were just fine. Power went out to some areas and the debris was a pain but it wasn't anything you can't live through. STAY INSIDE too! Don't be the idiot who wants to play in the hurricane winds! It's all fun and games til you get hit with flying debris, seen it happen many times!.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
It's a big deal because there's going to widespread flooding all along the South shore of Long Island and coastal Jersey. Record rainfall last week combined with high tide at 8AM and the new moon tomorrow morning is going to create a lot of flooding.

This one isn't about the wind. It's about the already saturated area, with water having nowhere to go but into our livingroom.

new topics

top topics

join