It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US official: Al-Qaida's No. 2 killed in Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON — Al-Qaida's second-in-command, Atiyah Abd al-Rahman, has been killed in Pakistan, delivering another big blow to a terrorist group that the U.S. believes to be on the verge of defeat, a senior Obama administration official said Saturday.

The Libyan national who was the network's former operational leader rose to al-Qaida's No. 2 spot after the U.S. killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden during a raid on his Pakistan compound in May.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said last month that al-Qaida's defeat was within reach if the U.S. could mount a string of successful attacks on the group's weakened leadership.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 27/8/11 by TrowaBarton because: To add content.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well I guess this is a good thing, but with everything else that is going on I'm thinking maybe this is just another bit of left hand right hand oke doking . Personally I think we should no longer be over there but ............. as of late given the state of the world I have absolutely no clue what to think anymore.

I'll post more as I get a bead on the situation and am able to sort my thoughts out. Really i just wanted to get this up here for the community as I value quite a number of opinions on here. However I will ask this query in the meantime, If al - qaeda is defeated than who will be the new "boogeymen?"

Thanks everyone

That is all

Trowa

www.msnbc.msn.com
edit on 27/8/11 by TrowaBarton because: Spelling & to add content.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Looks like they are speeding up the - Get Rid Of The Terrorist Threat Agenda - for ten years they didn't manage to get anybody and now they do it within months.

How stupid do they think we are?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ALF88

Looks like they are speeding up the - Get Rid Of The Terrorist Threat Agenda - for ten years they didn't manage to get anybody and now they do it within months.

How stupid do they think we are?

Eh...pretty stupid, but for pretty much the opposite reason. I'd assume there are likely threads here on ATS compiling how many high-level al qaeda fighters/leaders have supposedly been killed MULTIPLE TIMES (seriously, the guys are like cats, with their fancy 9 lives) according to various news reports covering their deaths...time and time again. We've apparently been very successful in killing them, but seriously, it's like the blasted Night of the Living Terrorists or something over there...I'm sure we'll hear about this guy being killed again in a couple of years.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ALF88

They will continue to drip feed us news like this until we are led to believe that the threat of terrorism is on the wane. Don't worry people we are winning this. I remember reading a column around 2003 saying that the war on terror could last 50 - 60 years.

You know what the next threat will be though if some sources are to be believed? Alien Invasion.

Now that really would bring their NWO plans up several gears.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
Eh...pretty stupid, but for pretty much the opposite reason.

And they are right. The majority of the population worldwide is still gullible and asleep. It's going to be a very rude awakening.

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

They will continue to drip feed us news like this until we are led to believe that the threat of terrorism is on the wane. Don't worry people we are winning this. I remember reading a column around 2003 saying that the war on terror could last 50 - 60 years.

With the "official death" of OBL, I think this whole terrorist "thing" is about to be done. You can see in Lybia that they care a **** about terrorists. They are supplying them with heavy weapons and helping them into power.

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
You know what the next threat will be though if some sources are to be believed? Alien Invasion.

Now that really would bring their NWO plans up several gears.

Wasn't it asteroids before that? I think that is what Dr. Carol Rosin said. Maybe it is a combination of both. I have no doubt there are plans for a Fake Alien Invasion.

edit on 27-8-2011 by ALF88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2011 by ALF88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TrowaBarton

However I will ask this query in the meantime, If al - qaeda is defeated than who will be the new "boogeymen?"

Individual boogeymen become insignificant once world war is achieved. The time has already passed when thinking of coming world war, because we are already in it.

The area of conflict is already large enough: Libya, Somalia, Egypt(sinai), Iraq, Sudan, Nigeria, Yemen, Syria, Turkey, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran.

Japan has been kept unstable (6 Prime Ministers in 5 years) over US refusal to relocate bases from Okinawa. US demand for Syrian pres to "step down". US unilateral declaration of South Ossetia and Abkhazia as part of Georgia and ordering Russian forces to leave. New noises about Venezuela.

We are in it. World War. And this time the US is the aggressor, not Germany or Japan.

edit on 27-8-2011 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
A dead terrorist is a good terrorist.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

How many number 2's is that now?

Atiyah Abd al-Rahman

Ayman Mohammed Rabie al-Zawahiri (he died twice if I remember correctly)

Sheik Abd-Al-Rahman

Abdul Ghani.

Ilyas Kashmiri

They were all regarded as 2nd highest Al-Queda at one point.

Anyone notice how this guy was a Libyan? Makes you wonder eh?

en.wikipedia.org...

Apparently this is the group he was involved in,.
edit on 27-8-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

And - according to Wikipedia

LIFG was founded in 1995 by Libyans who had fought against Soviet forces in Afghanistan. It aims to establish an Islamic state in Libya and views the current regime as oppressive, corrupt and anti-Muslim, according to the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. LIFG claimed responsibility for a failed assassination attempt against Gaddafi in February 1996, which was in part funded by MI6 according to David Shayler, and engaged Libyan security forces in armed clashes during the mid-to-late 1990s.[4] They continue to target Libyan interests and may engage in sporadic clashes with Libyan security forces.[5]

edit on 27-8-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard
British connection:

Britain's SAS leads hunt for Gaddafi
For the first time, defence sources have confirmed the SAS has been in Libya for several weeks, and played a key role in co-ordinating the battle for Tripoli.

With most of the capital in rebel hands, the SAS soldiers, who have been dressed in Arab civilian clothes and carrying the same weapons as the rebels, have been ordered to switch their focus to the search for Gaddafi.

Say, aren't there Geneva Conventions against military fighting as civilians. Isn't that who the US likes to lock up as terrorists at Guantanemo?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrowaBarton
Well I guess this is a good thing, but with everything else that is going on I'm thinking maybe this is just another bit of left hand right hand oke doking . Personally I think we should no longer be over there but ............. as of late given the state of the world I have absolutely no clue what to think anymore.

I'll post more as I get a bead on the situation and am able to sort my thoughts out. Really i just wanted to get this up here for the community as I value quite a number of opinions on here. However I will ask this query in the meantime, If al - qaeda is defeated than who will be the new "boogeymen?"

Thanks everyone

That is all

Trowa

www.msnbc.msn.com
edit on 27/8/11 by TrowaBarton because: Spelling & to add content.

Because of what occurred in Norway, the DHS has already issued a warning on white "lone wolfs".

www.hstoday.us...

edit on 8/27/2011 by ontarff because: video added

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Another terrorist is dead.....I really don't feel bad about that...but..I do question the timing of it all.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrowaBarton

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON — Al-Qaida's second-in-command, Atiyah Abd al-Rahman, has been killed in Pakistan, delivering another big blow to a terrorist group that the U.S. believes to be on the verge of defeat, a senior Obama administration official said Saturday.

The Libyan national who was the network's former operational leader rose to al-Qaida's No. 2 spot after the U.S. killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden during a raid on his Pakistan compound in May.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said last month that al-Qaida's defeat was within reach if the U.S. could mount a string of successful attacks on the group's weakened leadership.

edit on 27/8/11 by TrowaBarton because: To add content.

That's good what are they going to do about the ones on wallstreet?

Yeah. exactly. Pretty much nothing.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Just waiting for the flood of posts about how this guy has actually been dead for x number of years...or was never actually alive...or is/was actually a CIA operative...or has actually faked his own death with the help of the Mossad.

I think there is conspiracy here at ATS to confuse the public into believing that every common sense thing that happens, or is reported to happen in the MSM...actually did not happen, or happened differently than is reported.

There are no events in nature that happen without man's hand involved (hurricanes, volcanoes, snow storms, earthquakes, the morning dew), in wartime the good guys are actually the bad guys, and vice versa...and all man-involved acts or events - no matter how trivial - are steered by some diabolical shadow organization.

top topics

join