It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Al-Sadr Fighters Hand Over Shrine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
It appears, after much confusion, that the major battle in the holy city of Najaf is over. While the final transfer is not complete, it appears that the bloody conflict to control one of Islams most holy sites is nearing an end.

story.news.yahoo.com

Al-Sadr Fighters Hand Over Keys to Shrine

By ABDUL HUSSEIN AL-OBEIDI, Associated Press Writer

NAJAF, Iraq - Militants loyal to firebrand cleric Muqtada al-Sadr said Saturday that they had handed over the keys to a revered Muslim shrine in the holy city of Najaf to top Shiite religious leaders, a move that marks a crucial step toward ending two weeks of fighting.

The militants, however, remain in control of the Imam Ali Shrine while final details of the transfer are worked out, said al-Sadr aide Ahmed al-Shaibany.

Al-Sadr's militia had moved their guns out the shrine on Friday, but the militiamen themselves stayed as negotiators tried to wrangle over getting the militants out of the compound and easing the conflict that has killed dozens of people and wounded hundreds as al-Sadr's militia battle a joint U.S.-Iraq (news - web sites) force.

The keys were handed over to representatives of Iraq's top Shiite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani, who is in a London hospital for treatment of a heart problem, al-Shaibany said Saturday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Perhaps this is the beginning of the final "liberation" of Iraq. While I may not agree with all of President Bush's policies (I am a registered Republican), this may be the turning point that helps lower the price of oil and provide some stability to Iraq. Please notice I said "some stability". I don't believe Iraq will be completely sovereign until we leave and provide them with a means to govern themselves.

[edit on 21-8-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 8-21-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 8-21-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
According to this, claims that the keys have been handed over are being denied.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I don't believe Iraq will be completely sovereign until we leave and provide them with a means to govern themselves.

Have to agree with you there - presonally I think that in spite of the back biting and negativity in the media, progress towards an independent and sovereign Iraq has been fairly good. Several local elections have already been held over the last year (Islamic extremists and Baathists did very poorly), the interim government is pretty much autonomous (although isn't perceived to be and lacks an electoral mandate).

Roll on elections at the end of the year.

[edit on 25-8-2004 by mattpryor]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
This is nothing, now they want US out and they are band together, when the times come the fight for power between the different groups will start.

People Iraq is not American and the people have other believes, democracy will be divided between the tribes that want them and the ones that rather follow ancient ruling laws, In other word at the end Iraq is going to be Iraq (divided by territories) depending on the tribes ruling in different areas.

The ones loosing at the end will be the Christians, they will have to leave or be persecuted.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

People Iraq is not American and the people have other believes, democracy will be divided between the tribes that want them and the ones that rather follow ancient ruling laws

You may think that the United States is the only country in the world capable of governing itself, but some would disagree with you. The vast majority of people in Iraq are like everyone else in the world - they just want a government that lets them live and work in peace.

It's a tiny vocal and violent minority that are determined to spoil it for everyone else because they want to take power for themselves. We have a duty there not to let these people win.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Sistani crossed the Kuwaiti boarder into Iraq this morning on his way to Najaf. He called on all good shiites to head to Najaf to protect the city before it is destroyed.
I wonder how al-sadr will come off with someone with more religious authority than him in Najaf. We may have seen the last of Sadr for a while.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
All seems to have gone quiet on the news front just at the moment though... I wonder what's going on....

top topics

join