It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geek Secrete Sociteties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
First of all I would like to state that this is an IDEA, it�s not even a theory. I would like you to help give your own ideas, theories, thoughts and evidence supporting or disproving the idea.
Also, i would like to state that I�m not out to offend any 'geeks' or Freemason people who visit the forum.

Is it possible that the well known, 'easily accessible' (2B1ask1) Freemason societies are not the 'secret societies' you think they are, but rather some geeks who heard of it and decided to start their own secret society under the same name. Thus, the REAL Freemasons are still very much secret. The "geeks" Freemason society benefits from this, as no one would suspect a group to "pretend" to be another group.

We've all heard of the stories of geeks who start their own secret societies.
Quote from the movie SIGNS:

Morgan, this crop stuff is just about a bunch of nerds who never had a girlfriend their lives. They're like thirty now. They make up secret codes and analyze Greek mythology and make secret societies where other guys who never had girlfriends can join in. They do stupid crap like this to feel special. It's a scam. Nerds were doin' it twenty-five years ago and new nerds are doing it again.

If you don't understand what I�m trying to put forward, just say, and i will try to re-word it.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
It's very late, and I'm somewhat tired, so I want you to try to understand that what I say below is not meant to be an attack on your personally, nor "being mean" in any way -- OK?

Originally posted by Gear
Is it possible that the well known, 'easily accessible' (2B1ask1) Freemason societies are not the 'secret societies' you think they are, but rather some geeks who heard of it and decided to start their own secret society under the same name. Thus, the REAL Freemasons are still very much secret. The "geeks" Freemason society benefits from this, as no one would suspect a group to "pretend" to be another group.

So let me ask a few questions:

i) How did we (the supposedly fake Freemasons) hear about the "real" Freemasons? If they haven't been heard of by anyone else, then by what special means did we hear of them?

ii) Records of Freemasonry go back to 1717, continuously, not to mention earlier records that are somewhat more spotty. Are all of those records made up? Or, alternatively, did this "real" Freemasonry exist all that time, and in (at least) nearly 300 years, it's never come up?

iii) If we're the organisation people know as "Freemasonry" practically speaking, doesn't that make us "Freemasonry?" When you say that there may be a "real" Freemasonry, what is the characteristic that makes it real? After all, if there are two things, and one of them is real, and one of them is fake, you should be able to explain (at least to some degree) what it is that makes one real and the other fake.

What I think is happening (armchair psychologist / sociologist that I am) is that you want something to be mysterious, world-girdling, and in control, but that you haven't found that thing -- you want the massive, awful, and ineffable to exist, but simultaneously to be defined and controllable (a logical impossibility, but that doesn't mean that people haven't been trying to find it for a long time). In essence, you want a tame God. But, as the Hebrew saying goes, God is not your uncle -- God is a hurricane.

In our society, of course, we've eliminated God not only from the daily discourse (which is fine, many of us live in secular democracies where church and state are meant to be separate), but also from the very concept of religion itself! Is it any wonder that conspiracy theories (which, to me, are a way of looking for someone "in charge" when you think God is gone) are so widespread these days?

Anyway, the above is just my feelings on the issue, and certainly isn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Nah, it's cool, like I said, it's just an Idea, so I can�t be offended at what people say, I'm just worrying about stepping on OTHER PEOPLES toes.

Very vague responses to your questions:

i) Just common knowledge of a secret society under the name of Freemason, but no REAL/HARD evidence supporting it existed, So some guys may have decided to open their own "secret society" under the same name, leading people to think that they are/were the original deal.

ii a) Unofficial Records of Freemasonry can be dated back to the Old Testament, The "Masons" helped to Build (or was it Rebuild?) Solomon�s Temple.
ii b) I'm saying that perhaps the Freemasons existed (it doesn't matter how long), yes, records were taken, but because it's a secret society, no-one ultimately took credit for their work, so a group of people got together, called themselves the Freemasons, Adopted their symbol, ect.... The only difference being that:
They did not accomplish the tasks themselves, but took credit for it.
They did not make themselves secret, so people would then look up to them for 'their accomplishments'

iii) If I stated what I wanted to say in Answer ii clearly, this question should already be answered, but....
I guess it's not really in terms as REAL and FAKE, but rather, ORIGIONAL and lets just say 'GENERIC'.

From one of the "GENERIC" Freemason point of views, this MIGHT be what was going on:
There WERE rumours of a secret group, but no evidence, thus they might not exist.
So some people decided to "adopt" or "create" the group, because after all it is only a rumour, it probably doesn�t exist.
Thus they could easily, unquestionably take credit for unclaimed credit.

...I hope that that helped to clear what I�m saying, although it might not come across clearly...

In a nutshell, lets take the Illuminate for example. They adopted the Egyptian 'all seeing eye' symbol. But that doesn�t mean that they were around back then...(but I�m not saying they didn't)
...This would be much like "Generic Freemason" adopting the "Original Freemason" symbol....AND NAME.....AND CREDIT FOR WORK....Etc

Yeah, i HOPE that cleared some up, if it didn�t, just hit me back.
LMAO!! About your analysis on me.... No offence but, Here is my own 'armchair psychologist / sociologist ' analysis of myself, (PS: I don't mean to offend anyone with my above mentioned idea, or any ideas, But if ANYONE doesn't like what they read about ME from here on, YOU CAN GO FUDGE YOURSELF!)
Personally, I yes, i do like things to be mysterious, but only in context like 'the unknown' and stuff, not in terms of human development.
I also don't want something to be in (absolute) control, whether it be governmental, spiritual, secret or otherwise. If the way Human society was based entirely apon how I want it, we'd all be in bushes, hunting and killing stuff with our hands and teeth.
What you said about having a Tame God, Personally, I don�t think that applies to me, but i believe it does apply to most others. Whether or not God exists, the term "man created god" is very much true, people don�t like what they hear about god, so they change him, so they could live with themselves better, for example:
Any Orthodox Christian will believe that they will ascend to heaven because they are good and Christian.
HOWEVER they refuse to believe that Only 144 000 people are 'allowed' to go to heaven, and they cant earn their way there, as they are pre marked by God.
They refuse to believe it, EVEN THOUGH its in St John's Book of Revelations (rev7 4-8)

Sorry, i got side tracked.
Opinions, thoughts, comments, critics?

EDIT: Spell check

[edit on 25-01-2004 by Gear]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Counterstrike clans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ugh.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Counterstrike? WTF LoL

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Counterstrike? WTF LoL

It's a game people play online. They form little clans and get all whacked out on caffiene and have tournaments and stuff.

From what I hear it is a pretty good game... never played it myself, though.

I fail to see the relevance, however.

[edit on 8/24/04 by The Axeman]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

Counterstrike? WTF LoL

It's a game people play online. They form little clans and get all whacked out on caffiene and have tournaments and stuff.

From what I hear it is a pretty good game... never played it myself, though.

I fail to see the relevance, however.

[edit on 8/24/04 by The Axeman]

It's a really good game. I have it

Anyway, back on topic now..

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Gear~~
a suggestion. GEEK...SECRETE...are these really the words you meant to use? And, society is misspelled.
Are you aware that you can edit the title of your thread? You might get more hits if more people knew what you were posting.

Misspelling in posts happens, I know I've done it, but bad spelling in the title

top topics

join