It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dequilling your dogs…

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I have spent many wonderful hours in the mountains with my dogs… I love to watch their boundless energy as they work the brush lines to scare up game…nose down, tails up… working a zigzag pattern as they sort out the plethora of interesting scents… but there are real hazards to taking your dog afield… today we will talk about one of those…

For some reason, many dogs don't like porcupines…. Maybe it is because the slow, dull-witted
Porky seems helpless….”No, Mac… Get away from him!”…they never listen…. When a dog rushes in to attack, they of course, get an unpleasant surprise….”Yip, yip, yip, yip…”
We had twenty great years with Mac… that big dumb one eyed Irish Setter… never did learn to leave the Porky’s alone … his muzzle had countless scars from run in’s… His misadventures made me an expert at dequilling a dog… He passed late last year… I still can’t bring myself to replace him… but I will, when I’m ready… and I bet my last dollar, that dog too will take after the first porky he see’s

Embedded quills are dangerous if not removed soon. They will work into the dog, causing pain, infection, and possibly even death if they hit vital organs. The more the animal moves the deeper the little devils work their way in… If you are near a vet, get your dog to him right away. The vet will anesthetize the dog and remove the quills. But if you are on a wilderness trip, and the vet is a day’s drive away…. you will have to dequill the dog yourself…

It’s best if you have a second person handy to help hold down the dog… either way… you might want to tie him up cause those babies really hurt coming out…

The best way to tie up your dog is to wrap a jacket or blanket around the dog and secure it with a rope or belt so that the dog cannot hit you with his feet or nip at your fingers. Twist out each quill slowly with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, now is when that multi-tool comes in real handy…starting in the chest area….work your way out… why you start on the chest is because those pose the most danger to your dog…

Remember that the dog will be frightened and in pain, and may become a fear
Biter…. You may have to use a muzzle or gently tie the dog's mouth closed with a
handkerchief or a piece of rope, maybe your belt…

When you have taken out the quills, get the dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible so that he can get a shot to prevent any secondary infection… If that is not an option use a dab of antibiotic cream on each and every quill hole…. Still get him to a vet as soon as you can…there might be more in there that broke off flush with the skin…

Save the unbroken quills by the way… Some of the prettiest bead work I’ve ever seen is made with Porky quills… even if you don’t know how to do it yourself… there are people who will gladly trade for them…

Well that’s it for me… have a great weekend everyone… I got a play-date with my granddaughter and her new pup… Hope I’m not teaching Rose to dequill anytime soon.

Edit to add... dont forget to check the inside's of their mouths too...

edit on 27-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Worked at the vet when I was a kid. All dogs with quills will bite so cleaning the mouth first and then taping or binding it shut is the name of the game. You may fare much better doing it for your own dog. Look at the angle each went in and remove from the same angle.

Excellent info DB.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
great post Daddybare.

I had my old dog get into it with a porqy she had them in her mouth and hundreds on her face legs and chest, one even worked its way into her eyelid and sutured her eye shut days later had to have the vet put her out to take that one out and make sure there were no others i think she found 10 -15 that we couldn't get to.

we got all of them out of her snout first so I could hold her jaw open. to get the quills in her mouth they were in the roof of the mouth and on her tongue.
she did NOT bite once so that is not true all dogs will not bite just because you are taking the quills out.
It is a good rule with any dog they can bite quills or not.

its all about technique and giving the dog breaks in between we didn't even have her tied up and this is no little dog she was a full grown American staff. just plenty of water and love and she stayed like a good dog should.

one thing i did not see mentioned was vinegar we used a sponge soaked with vinegar and wiped downward on the skin and quills the vinegar make the quills slide right out we use our hands to take most of them out it was much easier on the dog and i think she felt more comfortable when we used our fingers.

Take a rag or spray bottle with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide with a bit of clean water and wipe the wounds this will clean them up and helps with the pain.

I also had to do this with my horse this summer he got a bunch of quills in his nose. and we did the same thing a rag and vinegar although we had to halter and tie the horse up to get the quills out and it was much harder than the 90lb dog.

the quills are are simply thick hairs with keratin (fingernails) plates that are backwards facing feels alot like sandpaper that's what makes them so hard to pull out.
so if some break off it is not that big of a deal, the quills start to deteriorate in 3-4 days and usually work their way out or completely dissolve in the skin, as long as you keep them clean of infection they will be fine.

edit on 8/27/2011 by -W1LL because: sp

join