It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans Could Adapt To Withstand Radiation Exposure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The operative word here is 'could', but nonetheless a new study hints at the possibilites that this might be a reality. This could also mean that there is a new and promising sign for future deep space exploration! And perhaps it will make humans better equipped to handle incidents like Fukushima as well?

Doctors whose bodies are regularly exposed to x-rays may be adapting at the cellular level to protect themselves against radiation, according to a new study. The research hints that humans could adapt to withstand radiation exposure.

In a small study, interventional cardiologists, who perform heart operations using catheters guided by x-rays, had higher levels of hydrogen peroxide in their blood, which indicates potentially harmful changes. But they also had higher levels of an antioxidant that protects against cell damage, and their white blood cells had more of an enzyme involved in programmed cell death

“Our findings clearly emphasize for the first time that exposure to a level of radiation which is considered ‘safe’ by regulatory standards for interventional cardiologists can induce a profound biochemical and cellular adaptation,” Russo said in a news release.

Source: Doctors Who Work With X-Rays May Be Adapting at the Cellular Level to Withstand Radiation

Let's indeed hope that this, and further studies, will harvest some interesting findings, and provide a better understanding of how the body's mechanisms works to adapt to radiation exposure.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
This effect of low doses of radiation being beneficial is called radiation hormesis. Good to see some evidence that it may be correct.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Well if Ann says so it must be.

Surly I jest, just couldn't help myself. However this may be a little more fuel for defense of the Apollo Moon Hoax community.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Madame Curie would have been pleased to know that.

So, another area of revisionism.

What next, lead as in bullets and paint "builds strong bodies 12 ways?"

(Quote is from an old breakfast ceral adv.)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I think that its important to realise that the people publishing this research are not suggesting that anyone is bomb proof, or could survive , in any eventuality , Fukushimas highest radioactivity areas due to adaptations or minor mutations caused by low level exposure.

What they are saying, is that certain levels of exposure may be less of a concern for someone who has regular exposure to a radioactive source, and that is not the same. We will not see unarmoured men striding through nuclear firestorms, nor shall we know men and women who can march into fallout zones from nuclear accidents and sort things out in thier underpants without dying from it.

What the article seems to suggest is that certain people will be able to withstand above background exposure for longer without adverse affects, if they have been exposed in controlled circumstances , to a radioactive source regularly. Makes a certain amount of sense, although I have to say , from the traditional understanding of the way radiation damages a person, its a little bit of a suprise.

See, radiation affects biological structures in a cumulative way. That is to say, the more rads, rems, sieverts or whatever, you are exposed to in a life time, the bigger the chances of taking damage from that radiation. So the idea that repeated , minor exposure can actualy build up an immunity , similar to the way peanut allergies are cured , seems counter to the traditional thinking.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I think that its important to realise that the people publishing this research are not suggesting that anyone is bomb proof, or could survive , in any eventuality , Fukushimas highest radioactivity areas due to adaptations or minor mutations caused by low level exposure.

I hope I didn't imply that in the OP, there's no mentioning of turning people into supermen in the article, although that would be pretty cool. I appreciate your post and your insight, you seem to be pretty knowledgable on the subject.

The thing that is interesting, is that further studies of how the body reacts and builds up immunity/more tolerance, can hopefully have some positive implications. In that astronauts or any sort of experts dealing with radioactivity can benefit from this research, making their jobs a bit less hazardous. Is that a reasonable thing to expect after the study's findings?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Once again the mouthpiece proclaims night is day. If you get radiation in higher doses than normal, it's good for you, unless it's too much. Then it's bad for you.

We will decide what is what, go back to sleep.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Well thats an interesting angle to take on this subject. The kinds of radiation that these doctors mentioned in the article are exposed to , and the sort of radiation that astronauts might come into contact with, are different in terms of thier power, and type. Furthermore, that doesnt take into account the possibility of a spaceship being caught in a solar flare event.

We just do not know what that would do to the men inside, let alone the craft. Thankfully the crew of the ISS do not have to worry about it as much as a person on a mission further out might, because the ISS sits within the magnetoshpere of our planet, although they would be exposed to higher than normal radiation in the event of a flare. Just not the instant cancer wave that they would be exposed to outside of it.

I believe that astronauts come into contact with levels ten times the level of background here on earth, because they are not being protected by the Earths magnetospheric barrier. As a result there have been inventions like this one....:

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
yeah, then wede called CHUD as in the horror movie..canablistic humanoid underground dweller
maybe then yeah, we could.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
There is an existing thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

Closed.

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join