It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Would You Win the War On Drugs?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
The hypocrisy involved in the drug war astounds me. I'm not 100% sure if it's true but i've read articles about a couple of plane crashes in South America that involved planes belonging to the C.I.A which contained literally tons of coc aine.

Of course it's true but add the military to your list as well. How else do you think many of these 'black ops' that are completely off the radar are funded without passing through congress? It's all paid for with drug/blood money. Money that is completely off the books and untraceable.

The US built a paved road right into the golden triangle during Vietnam for heroin and they've done similar things in Afghanistan.

IRM
edit on 27/8/11 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I agree with others who say the War on Drugs was never meant to be "won."

Much like Vietnam or the War on Terror, it's the war they want, not it's resolution.

Western government are knee deep in the drug game and they don't like competition.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Well since governments are behind the Drug markets I'd say there is no "war on drugs" only a war on people.

My opinion of course.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
You cannot stop people from want to get high and actually doing it, so why even bother?

Just end it!

Simple solutions to everyday problems, yep, that's what I'm good for.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MackSPower

Although I agree with the theory & even the philosophy you espouse, what do we do about the elephant in the room? The elephant, of course, being alcohol. We all know the damage alcohol abuse causes, both socially and physically, to users and anyone else caught in their trajectory, so there's no reason to elaborate on either point.

In the eyes of a majority of Americans, right or wrong, the country sees the damage that alcohol abuse has caused society and tends to practice what psychologists call "transference" with respect to marijuana legalization. Essentially, the old argument goes, "We can't possibly legalize marijuana because, look how many lives alcohol has destroyed, and won't marijuana only add to the tally?" This may be true to some extent but it’s not a very well thought out argument (some would call it spurious).

So that's the current reality. And until we have some major paradigm shift, the drug war is apt to continue. It's off topic, but for those of you hoping to see serious change in the current US drug policy, what’s likely to be the catalyst? Polls still show a majority of "voting" Americans are disinclined to the idea of marijuana legalization, so in their opinion, the War on Drugs must continue. Case closed. We all know who the most consistent voting block is in this country: senior citizens. So the passing of the baby-boomers might tip the scales for the abolition of certain, purportedly less harmful drugs.

But with the poor condition of the economy state governments could very well convince constituents that marijuana legalization, for starters, would create an excellent revenue stream to make up for projected shortfalls across the board now that the federal teat is badly sagging and emptying faster than Lady Liberty can replenish herself. Since municipalities must balance the budget, unlike the feds, and tax hikes are distasteful at anytime, but especially in a recession, marijuana legalization “should” become more palatable with every passing day.

The cessation of hostilities in the drug war might, ironically, make this nation fiscally stronger as a potential drug "breadbasket" and worldwide leading exporter of some of the same substances we have been throwing billions into eradicating with no end in sight.

Can you imagine it?

Strictly from a cost-benefit analysis standpoint, it's actually quite hard to understand how more countries haven't already begun legally taxing and selling certain naturally occurring plant matter that tends to grow like weeds. In this particular time frame in history when whole nations are on the edge of toppling for lack of revenue, the continued model of ignoring vegetable goldmines simply to toe the geopolitical party line seems like utter lunacy and I can understand how conspiracy theories crop up and vegetate to forums such as these where people can weed out the most outlandish ones.

Although the future seems bright for the abolition of certain currently proscribed substances, we are still essentially confined by the same laws that have governed us for generations, with few exceptions; the most notable ones being the group of so-called "designer drugs," with MDMA- better known as Ecstasy- outlawed in 1977.

So, as things stand, the need to find a more effective way to win the War on Drugs is as timely now as it was when Nancy famously said (who can fill in the blanks for the win?). Therefore, the question remains: how can we fight the "war" more effectively, since, for the time being, it must fought?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

This forum is for the discussion of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups related to the trade and trafficking of illicit drugs, and inequities in enforcement of drug-related laws. Personal use, advocacy of legalization, and related non-conspiratorial topics are not allowed. Members posting about personal recreational use of drugs and related mind-altering substances may be banned without warning.This forum is not intended for discussion of legalization advocacy or speculation of enlightenment or spiritual possibilities related to drug use.

Closed for staff review.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join