It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do people do this to themselves?(Hurricane Related)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Really, I mean c'mon people..

As Hurricane Irene makes it way toward North Carolina, where it's expected to make landfall early Saturday morning, video footage of the storm is beginning to surface. The storm weakened to a Category 2 as it reached Florida's waters, the Associated Press reported, but it could pick up steam again. The video below appears to show the first injuries from the storm, as eight people were swept off a jetty near West Palm Beach by giant waves. According to the Palm Beach Post, one of the eight is in a hospital in serious condition. The waves crashed over people in Boynton Beach, Florida, who ventured out to a jetty to watch the storm.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 26-8-2011 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
looked calm other than that rogue wave

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
id call it survival of the fittest at work, i think we know whos not so fit

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Maybe they dont realize mother nature will kick your butt every time.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

Maybe..

thinning the herd i guess?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Because they need to be taken out of the gene pool.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Natural Selection
For sure

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Never, never, never turn you back on the sea.
Especially when a hurricane is out there! GEEZ!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I am pretty sure I would slap the hell out of the person that said to me, "Hey man, there's a hurricane coming! Lets go down to the pier and check out how cool it is!"

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
When I was young and dumb
I stood on the road in front of
the beach facing a hurricane
with 100mph winds. I was injured
by a pile of rocks that kept flying
up hitting me in the legs and arms.
Do not face a hurricane!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I ask that question all the time. The best response that I have ever gotten was "they can't afford to leave". I had never really thought about that. If you have no one and and no where to go and are living paycheck to paycheck where do you go? You hunker down at "home' imo.

I do have to say that I don't really feel sorry for most people that chose to live in the hurricane prone areas. I mean, C'mon. Right? Common sense has to kick in at some point. That's how I look at it
edit on 27-8-2011 by kimish because: add

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I know how that is, I have been through a hurricane and not had enough money to up and leave. sucks lol really sucks

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Evolution at work.
This sentence supports the above statement.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Sir, I believe you responded to the wrong post and also did not actually read the OP. Are you by chance storm chasing tonight?

Oh ok you did an edit. I still don't think you read the OP though lol!
edit on 27-8-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

I ask that question all the time. The best response that I have ever gotten was "they can't afford to leave". I had never really thought about that. If you have no one and and no where to go and are living paycheck to paycheck where do you go? You hunker down at "home' imo. I do have to say that I don't really feel sorry for most people that chose to live in the hurricane prone areas. I mean, C'mon. Right? Common sense has to kick in at some point. That's how I look at it

Had more to do with tempting fate than living in the wrong area.
edit on 27-8-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Because they need to be taken out of the gene pool.

Yeah, a full Darwin award would have been fitting, but for the effort and outstanding show of determination, I'd say they at least deserve a place in Honorable Mentions. Wouldn't you agree?

Darwin Awards - Honorable Mentions

Sometimes you really have to admire how hard people work at removing themselves from the gene pool, even when they don't succeed.

You'd think folks would have a bit more respect for Nature after how often and dramatically she's been warning us here recently. Personally I think this will the "Big Storm that Wasn't" by the time it moves to New York, but I sure wouldn't run out to the beach just to check that myself..jeeze.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well since you ask, usually for the thrill of it.

It can be exciting to witness Mother Nature at her best, and sometimes the ultimate price is paid in the process (They embraced ignorance, too). Me, I'd rather play it safe and head to safer ground, than go submit myself to a hurricane's wrath and see what happens... Darwin at work, some like to say?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Sheer and utter stupidity which in itself is representative of survival of the fittest. Perhaps in the days of primitive caveman culture, this definition equated to the most physically fit, but through evolution and the needs of a progressively evolving civilization, it's come to mean the most intellectually (and common sensically) fit. If you think about it, what would be the most draining on a struggling society - those with physical weakness or those with intellectual weakness (and by that, I don't mean one who speaks with the most elaborate words or has the highest level of education - it's more of an innate broad-based perspective that is capable of taking all variables into consideration)...

Timidgal

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
...why do people do things like that?... looking for a thrill and too naive to understand how stupid they are... in a lot of those cases its monkey see monkey do... some thrill seekers are smart but adrenalin junkies nonetheless - like the guy in this video, who i think is totally awesome...

new topics

top topics

join