It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im Riding Out Hurricane Irene NOW.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I hope you have a few uneventful days at work

and I hope this turns out to be a non event..

In the meanwhile.. sending wishes to everyone in the path of Irene.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Heard it was down to a cat 1.

That can just mean one thing...bring out the kites!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Starwise, I'm just south of DC, we have a little bit of wind right now & thankfully the severity of the impact on us has been downgraded. Stay safe & keep in touch hun!!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
We will get hit in about five hours. I have to work too, so I understand. but i chose this job, and I am going to do the best I can with it.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I'm riding out Irene as we speak as well!

In fact, I live less than 5 miles from Yorktown Battlefield, and less than 25 miles from Virginia Beach; on the Peninsula here. THE Peninsula that is, not the "Middle Peninsula" or that northern Peninsula. My younger sister is holed up in her Apartment in Virginia Beach right now, which is quite sturdy and made of brick. It appears that the eye of the storm will pass directly over Virginia Beach, or just off-shore. Either way, the centre of the storm being in Virginia Beach would mean we'd have Hurricane force winds on the Peninsula, we'll get that Northeast wind-wall.

Anyone else riding it out nearby? I hope this one doesn't leave us without power or clean water for up to 2 weeks like Hurricane Isabel did..

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
You do a good job OP, and I hope you and everyone else in Irene's path stays safe and doesn't suffer too much inconvenience.

(unlike this poor member)

Originally posted by claireaudient
we have a little bit of wind right now & thankfully the severity of the impact on us has been downgraded.

I hope the smell doesn't get too bad

Sorry but this post made me laugh so much I nearly wet myself

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Checking in with update: My hospital is without AC and on a back up generator necessary for critical equipment only... The working conditions are not pleasant right now.....the parking lot is flooded up to the doors......Glad I brought my BUG out bag!

My elderly patients are scared, I cant blame them. My alert and oriented patients are irritable.....

My house and kids are without power, which is expected being in eastern NC right now.......I hate not knowing how they are right now....I couldn't get home now if I wanted too...

A very good friend of mine lost her house, totaled, and destroyed by falling trees and wind.....I only found out through the grapevine posted on Facebook from a family member out of state....

A co-workers house up the street was totally destroyed by a giant oak tree smashing through the center of her house......

Its half way over now.....................

The wind isn't too terrible, only about 80mph or so, but don't be fooled these winds can cause a great deal of damage..

I pray for the folks in VA and up into NY and NJ!!! This storm is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers!!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Your kid's will see it all as a BIG adventure with Daddy and their new puppy!!!

Of course they will be proud of you, your attitude show that you have found your vocation in life
It can be all too easy to talk yourself out of things...even YOU should be proud of yourself!!

Just stay positive and focus on your job, of course you want to have contact with home..but remember only good can come from good.

Thinking of you, your family and your friends at this time.
xxx

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I understand the guilt. I have my son on the weekends and now I maybe activated tonight and gone for a week. It is hard being a mum in a demanding field.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Hopefully everything goes OK on your end.
May I ask though, how are you on the internet?
Sounds like your town/city is getting totaled yet internet is still up???

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Popped onto the thread to see if there was an update before going to bed. So glad you and your family are ok.

It sounds pretty awful, though. Hope it will soon be over. Keep taking care of yourself.

Thanks for the fascinating updates.

edit on 27-8-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
That is what us in the Med Field have to go through.. I just got a call from my Facility saying They might need me to come in tomorrow in the morning... granted this is my first job and i have only had two weeks of training as a Nurse they still asked me to come in which is usually not allowed if until orientation is over .. I do not know how i will make it in the morning that is when the brute of the storm is suppose to hit in the morning .. well Good Luck and be safe my friend ..

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Hi, I checked in again to see yow you're doing .... but no updates yet. Thinking of you and your family and hoping you're doing ok and managing to get some rest too.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
ditto, the Eye passed over us here in NYC @ 9am today Sunday morn. hope OP is doing well as it probably passed over her in upstate a bit later.

im surprised how calm it was, with just a few 50mph wind gusts (which we will still get till evening) and locally i would say we got about 6 inch of rain, thats all.

heres a synopsis/aftermath link that has helped look at the storm here the in NorthEast, in retrospect:

www.weather.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
In New Jersey, more than 800,000 customers were without power on Sunday, and the state’s largest utility, Public Service Electric and Gas, estimated it could take a week to restore electricity to all of its customers. In Connecticut, 670,000 customers had lost power - roughly half the state - which surpassed power failures caused by Hurricane Gloria in 1985. Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey said more than 300 roadways were blocked, but he warned that dire problems were still to come, particularly along the Delaware, Ramapo and Passaic Rivers. “The real issue that we are going to have to deal with now is flooding,” Mr. Christie said.

travel advisory

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I am home now after being away from my family for three days. The power came back on 2 days ago.....AFter driving around, the damage is so surreal. All the beautiful oak trees have toppled....My home is ok, only minor damage. My family is safe and that's what matters. I pray for everyone who has been affected by this storm...
Thank you all for your prayers.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join