It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hurricane Is Just A Test

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
no

the storm originates off the coast of africa, makes it's way west, and then north. as it has been doing for millions of years

millions

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD
I don't think you people understand. They are evacuating the city

Specific zones that are prone to flooding are being evacuated. Some mandatory and some voluntarily.
I hope you are not under the impression that they are evacuating the city as a whole.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
They always over exaggerate hurricanes.

I live in FL and they made such a big deal over this one and it was off the coast over 200 miles and never hit us. People were getting wood and sand, it's insane and ridiculous if you ask me. Yes it's nice to be prepared but freaking out people every time a storm comes is a bit much.

I dont move unless its a 3 or higher, then I will go elsewhere but usually I just stick it out or sleep through it.

They should be fine in NY I just saw on the news it hit NC and elsewhere will get wind, TS type winds. I dont see flooding or anything like they say happening. If it were a massive 3 then yea I'd be worried for people. Just stay inside, going outside in any storm with winds like that are dangerous!

Be safe

NY will be fine

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I sure hope you are right, I have 3 family members there right at this moment.
I do think that there is a bunch of hype and loads of different news sites are reporting about it.
It's like that these days, people want attention and so do media outlets. Journal X can't not talk about the hurricanes if News Paper S&R&T are talking about it.. and so goes to carousel.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by nukeboy61
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

as most people have figured out its most likely because there controlling this hurricane with HAARP

You do realize while rare, this is not the first hurricane to take this path. One hit NYC in 1821. Which i believe predates HAARP.

Besides, this could be the act of God. To punish the wicked and test the faithful.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Because of the shape of the nyc metro area, the storm surge damage from a cat 2 hurricane would be much more damaging than if a 2 hit the south.

I saw someone posted a video of a scientist talking about it - trying to locate it.

So a 2 would be like a 3, and a 3 would be a 4.

A 2 would fill up much of the subway tunnels with water. A 3 would put LaGuardia under 5 feet of water.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

Well, a plane can fly through a hurricane - But not land or take off in one, think of it that way. As far as the hype goes, I think it's justified because of it's direct up-the-coast to New York path. Better to hype it up and prepare the citizens, than downplay it and let them get blind sided by it. Just glanced at satellite, and it seems to be carrying a lot of energy, still.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The weather channel is showing it as having 70mph winds and will continue to weaken as it leaves VA. The winds are nothing to worry about. You folks up there had worse winds during the winter storm last year. Storm surge will be at a minimum since the intensity and size dropped off. I also think it is a test. More than likely a test for federal spending scenarios. They may be planning to 'do a drill' of 'recon' teams into the areas, but who knows. They're still over hyping this barely cat1 storm, so I'm guessing the staging of materials/objects for later use. Speculation is endless, results require planning.
Remember, "Never let a good disaster go to waste"

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The last report I saw this morning had the eye coming inland. the storm is down to a catagory 1 and will continue to weaken as it comes inland. The more time it spends over land the weaker it will get. I think that by the time it reaches NY it will be a really bad rainstorm.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

it seems like this is a damned if ya do, damned if you don't event. "Be Prepared" has been the motto for millions of Boy Scouts learning skills that will help them through life.

we've got a storm coming. hopefully not a bad one.

if our Fearless Leaders do nothing, people will complain, especially if TSHTF. we'll hear the whining for years to come. much suffering comes from storm destruction, inconveniences, repairs, picking up the pieces.

if our Fearless Leaders show some initiative and take steps to minimize loss of life and un-necessary extra stress and strain on rescue workers etcetera, we'll have people bitching about making much ado about nothing, hype, jumping the gun. etcetera.

some people aren't happy no matter what you do.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
The last report I saw this morning had the eye coming inland. the storm is down to a catagory 1 and will continue to weaken as it comes inland. The more time it spends over land the weaker it will get. I think that by the time it reaches NY it will be a really bad rainstorm.

I'm thinking the same thing, although the Weather Channel headline is "Irene begins destructive march up coast", so the sheep are being railroaded. Off to the side of their huge red panic headline is an article concerning the 4-8' surge expected

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

Originally posted by nukeboy61
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

as most people have figured out its most likely because there controlling this hurricane with HAARP

You do realize while rare, this is not the first hurricane to take this path. One hit NYC in 1821. Which i believe predates HAARP.

Besides, this could be the act of God. To punish the wicked and test the faithful.

"..Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.." - Travis Bickle / Taxi Driver

just last night Agent Hotchner referenced this movie line in an episode of Criminal Minds.

and last night 'Taxi Driver' aired on TV as well.

i wish i could sleep at night.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I am a paramedic and have worked in emergency services for almost twelve years. There is something called a pre-plan. It is where the Office of Emergency Management in a particular area sits down and runs scenarios of disaster events - natural disasters, terrorist attacks, disease outbreaks, war, neuclear events, plane crashes, etc. They take these scenarios and then develop a response plan that will allow them to preserve as much life as possible. These things are in place for years and updated as they learn from past events from around the country and as technology develops to deal with whatever the event is. In addition there is a national plan from FEMA (flame away) that all emergency services use with regards to a coordinated command structure for an event. Yet again something that is in place for years. Now all that being said......

After Kartina there was major backlash across the country about there not being enough done prior to the event to inform people that they needed to get out. There was backlash that they did not do enough to help facilitate evacuation. There was backlash that after the event the response was inadequate to the service the needs of those that did not evacuate. This was all taken into consideration when updating response plans and it was determined that the more people that can get out, further ahead of time, the easier it is to take care of those people when the event strikes. So is this a test, YES it is. As ALL responses to EVERY SINGLE EVENT are tests. We learn how better to deal with the needs of victims and of how to service them better in the future. Now on to my rant.....

If you are ordered to evacuate and you don't and you get in trouble it's your own fault. I for one will not risk my life to come get anyone because they were stupid enough to ignore the warnings time and again. While I do agree that there probably are sinister elements in the government they are not always trying to trample on people's liberties. In this instance they ask you to leave becuase it's a lot less resource intensive, and less dangerous, than haveing to come pluck your dumb a$$ off of a roof with a helicopter becuase you wouldn't leave.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mus8472

I understand your background and we most assuredly appreciate people such as yourseelf. And yes there are people who did not heed the advice to leave after Katrina. Many had lived there for decades and never imagined something to be so bad. Yet even in that event, it took DAYS beore help showed up, along with the jackboots beating up old ladies in their homes and taking their guns. Katrina was a disaster many times over. Was I there? No. But I know exactly how they feel. I survived Hurricane Hugo and even went outside to assess damage when the eye passed over. FEMA didn't show up for a week, and even then they were vastly and completely incompetent. They were supposed to 'have a plan', yet they were clueless. FEMA was not the committee they claimed to be, and they cut their teeth in during Hugo. It has always been about the locals. They were the ones who stepped up (just like yourself) and got things rolling. Well, to a point. We had strict curfews and National Guard and coast Guard were swarming the place like flies, barring citizens from returning to their island to see if their house was even there. It was basically martial law in that area. Our illustrious Mayor appointed cleanup crews to his neighborhood so he didn't have to look at the mess Hugo left behind from his office window.
Planning by local officials and organizations like yours were the only saving grace. We appreciate people like you, and your work is commendable. The Feds and state officials are too busy lobbying for kickbacks, funding, and construction contracts. FEMA is a shady business from the very beginning.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

...heres who flys into hurricanes and they've been doing it a long time...

The Hurricane Hunters

53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron
403rd Wing, Air Force Reserve Command
Keesler Air Force Base, Biloxi, Mississippi

The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, known as the Hurricane Hunters of the Air Force Reserve, is the only Department of Defense organization still flying into tropical storms and hurricanes – since 1944. The ten Lockheed-Martin WC-130J aircraft and crews are part of the 403rd Wing, based at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Mississippi.

NOAA Aircraft Operations Center
MacDill Air Force Base, Tampa, Florida

The Aircraft Operations Center is a Center of the NOAA Marine and Aviation Office. The airplanes of the Aircraft Operations Center (AOC) are flown in support of NOAA's mission to promote global environmental assessment, prediction and stewardship of the Earth's environment. NOAA's aircraft operate throughout the United States and around the world; over open oceans, mountains, coastal wetlands, and Arctic pack ice. These versatile aircraft provide scientists with airborne platforms necessary to collect the environmental and geographic data essential to their research.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

...lots of info on that site about hurricanes... check it out...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Zone A, Zone B, Zone C These terms are used with nuclear weapons Zone A= Ground zero and zone of total destruction; Zone B= Zone of significant damage and potentially lethal fallout; Zone C= Zone of minor structural damage inclusive of radioactive fallout not immediately dangerous to life. I got the creeps.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by eywadevotee

I explained before what the zoning is related to. Stop feeding into the confusion.

The zones are based on coastal flood plains and their ground elevations relative to sea level. Zone A is at sea level and up to five feet above Sand Hook high-water datum. Which is 3.14' +/- above sea level.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I live in NY and reside in zone C,..And for some reason
the zone map says that zone C gets hit with a category
3-4 hurricane...Typo maybe?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
They are only evacuating the low lying areas of NYC. It all depends on the strength of the hurricane by the time it reaches NY early tomorrow, they are saying because of its sheer mass it should be considered a Cat 2 but the winds aren't strong enough to be classified as one. When a hurricane hits land it loses it's strength rather quickly as there is no moisture for it to gather. I just saw a new map that shows it going more to the west side of NYC which could cause more flooding in the city as it heads to Upstate New York

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Severause
I live in NY and reside in zone C,..And for some reason
the zone map says that zone C gets hit with a category
3-4 hurricane...Typo maybe?

Nope. just regular fear-mongering

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join