It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irene 2011. History in the Making.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
New Yorkers are so arrogant. IMO they need a Cat Five hurricane just to show them who is boss. I hope one hits them.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
www.wusa9.com... Wow this could be terrible if this happens.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
So far, this one has not been as bad as Isabel in 04'. Isabel took down a couple of live healthy trees on my property and did some damage to our car and house and so far this storm (thankfully) hasn't lived up to that. The only problem I'm having is keeping water out of my basement (which is nothing new, every time we get hard rains here I have a wet basement). My aunt and uncle, and my cousin, who are 45 mins closer to the coast, have already lost power. But with Isabel our power was out for 3 days and across the road (different substation) they were without for 8 days.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by atomicn
New Yorkers are so arrogant. IMO they need a Cat Five hurricane just to show them who is boss. I hope one hits them.

Yeah! NY needs more dead people so jealous children like you can feel better about yourselves. I can guarantee you've never even been here. You just watch awful TV and have it all figured out.

This place (ATS) has taken a sharp turn downhill. Years ago we never would have a poster wishing harm and death on others. You're a horrible person, and IMO you need to leave ATS so the grown ups can have a discussion.
edit on 28-8-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schrecken Licht
So far, this one has not been as bad as Isabel in 04'. Isabel took down a couple of live healthy trees on my property and did some damage to our car and house and so far this storm (thankfully) hasn't lived up to that. The only problem I'm having is keeping water out of my basement (which is nothing new, every time we get hard rains here I have a wet basement). My aunt and uncle, and my cousin, who are 45 mins closer to the coast, have already lost power. But with Isabel our power was out for 3 days and across the road (different substation) they were without for 8 days.

Winds are only about 50 mph gust right now in Lynbrook and a huge Oak has come down up the street. I have a feeling that all along the south shore is going to be flooded awful. We've just had weeks of rain already. It's got nowhere to go. I think this flooding is going to be the worst I have ever seen it here anyway. Hours and hours to go of more rain too.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I'm in the hurricane right now, lots of rain but the winds so far have not picked up too much, the next few hours ought to see more high winds. I am posting so still got power as of now, knock on wood. I'm south of philadelphia, there is a #load of moisture in this one, and could pose a threat to areas that are not used to flooding. But so far, it is a typical hurricane, like Floyd back '99.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Why would you hope that a category 5 hurricane would hit NY? I personally really like New Yorkers....to me they have been friendly, helpful and real. Yes they are busy people....but they do care...and apparently you don't.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

so more than likely - it is going to get worse.

And you call me a prophet?

Pot.

Kettle.

Black.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Endure

Good question and nice signature

But really, this is hurricane season we has hurricanes left and right.

the real question is why is this hurricane getting so much media attention?
They are so common around this time of year its expected.
Maybe they know something we dont know.
Or maybe its just nothing anx will blow over

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
im in staten island NY and so far the storm dont seem that bad im sure it will get worse over night and tomorrow but i think the only reason the city(nyc) is acting like this is cause of the winter storm we had that shut down the city so now they are using this as the come back storm 'oh look how ready we are now' type of thing

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I live in the East coast of Florida and Irene was nothing. Basic rain and wind. To people saying a hurricane has not taken this path in a century, it did over 4 times this century. Its rare but it happens. Honestly, the media is making a big deal out of nothing. There's no need to panic, relax.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
The only thing I've had so far is a brief power outage, though I'm not sure if it's because the Emergency power kicked in, in our apartment complex. We have a fairly large puddle, and the only thing I'm relatively worried about is that I'm semi-underground. Did the best I could do though. Seal the windows with duct tape, boarded them up, and turned on the weather channel. Knock on wood that it doesn't get any worse, and here's to hoping that NYC doesn't get hit nearly as hard as they're expecting (as it should be expected it won't)

Now this was really inappropriate. NO ONE should be wishing such a horrific thing to happen, to anyone. I worked clean up and relief for Katrina as a volunteer. I waded through the destruction and death there. If something as horrid as that were to happen again, in a city such as New York, it would be devastating to the nation. That, and think of the surrounding areas that would also be affected, those who are "Innocent'' to your claims of New York Arrogance.
edit on 28-8-2011 by MorbiSemper because: Additions

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I'm wondering why there is all the panic. Are your houses/infrastructure in such a bad condition that wind with >100mph is a catastrophy? Of cause such high wind speeds and all the rain from above isn't nice but evacuating a city for it?

For example 2007 we had lots of rain and wind speeds up to 140mph. That's more than what CNN tells me about Irene right now. Of cause there were several trees fallen onto streets and some damage to very few houses but all we've done in Europe is: nothing. We drove to work, go shopping or play like usual as it's just a normal storm with higher speeds. We try to avoid standing right to damaged trees of cause and we don't like to go outside due to all the rain but we would never think about hiding in the basement or evacuate a city.

So why all the panic in America right now about this? Is it just the MSM telling you that this is bad and you all believe it and run away?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnixFE
I'm wondering why there is all the panic. Are your houses/infrastructure in such a bad condition that wind with >100mph is a catastrophy? Of cause such high wind speeds and all the rain from above isn't nice but evacuating a city for it?

I honestly don't trust my apt complex's structure enough to even try to throw it.

That and I've only been living in the area for about a year, so naturally I'm a bit nervous. That... and I can't swim. XD

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I have no more intentions of giving my opinions. It is pointless. People seem to prefer the doom and gloom over actual data, which is becoming more and more amusing to me as this storm progresses because the same people who have attempted to take me to task are now saying the same things I said over and over again in the numerous threads on this subject.

Anyway.... here is the latest as of 11pm EST from weather underground, which as I had stated days ago is a much more accurate source of info than the weather channel.

Irene has changed little in appearance in satellite imagery...but the radar depiction has degraded over the past few hours. An Air Force reconnaissance aircraft investigating the hurricane this evening has found 700 mb flight-level winds of 92 kt and SFMR winds of 66 kt in a small area more than 100 nmi east of the center. Based on this information...the intensity of Irene is being maintained at 70 kt for this advisory. It should be noted that the wind field graphics based on the four-quadrant radii will depict an unrealistically large area of hurricane-force winds.

Read the rest of the report at the following link

Source

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I don't see how so many people are saying this storm is nothing. In Hunterdon County, NJ. Way out from the coast, and we are getting hammered by rain, winds getting worse by the hour. We have had a few tornadoes touch down, and we are stuck in our home, both roads out are flooded and probably won't go down for a few weeks. Power is going out every 30 minutes or so. Everyone near the coast in NY, please take this storm seriously. If this is any indication, you guys are going to be getting a treat. Be safe, please take it seriously.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Where I live in UK we routinely have higher wind gusts, we have flooding and we have the inevitable sad casualties of bad weather. But we don't run around crying 'the sky is falling'. Americans need to grow a pair.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Yeah, Takes a real doucher to come up with that statement. You need a cat 5 new york style curb sandwich, I hope one hits you.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The History is going to write up likes this...

On August 28th 2011 Hurricane Irene came and went over an abandoned NY City. There was little to no damages done and spot flooding in some areas; widely considered the most embarrassing over-reaction in New York's history but in contrast to Katrina, the most embarrassing inaction in American history lest it be said we find a sort of balance, balance owing to the taxpayer in the tens of millions of dollars.

Next week: FEMA supply scandal exclusive! Millions of dollars spent supplies and projects that did not exist, who was awarding contracts to friends and family, read more...

Know what I mean?

edit on 28-8-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join