It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Hurricane Irene 2011. History in the Making.

page: 5
10
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Originally posted by RMFX1

OMG! Once again you fail to read the post correctly. The tree came down on a roof that he was sleeping under! The poster was quite clear. And by the way, not everyone lives in a double story house.

With a thimble full of intelligence and a handful of reading comprehension you would have been able to work that out!

edit on 27-8-2011 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)


Really?? Well tell me something genius. Where is the word "under" in that post?


Originally posted by caladonea
The 4 deaths are on the news....one death was an 11 year old boy.....a tree fell on the roof where he was sleeping as a result of hurricane Irene....so yes...I am telling it like it is!



It clearly says, "a tree fell on the roof where he was sleeping". So like I said in my post... it was probably a mistype and I DO THINK IT IS. Now don't you feel silly?


Yeah, an 11 year old was sleeping on a roof in a hurricane.

Please, get a grip...genius. There's no mistype. The scentence is perfectly clear and correct.
edit on 27-8-2011 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)




posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1
 


Then you should have no trouble showing me the word "under". So please show it to me.

Edit to add:


Originally posted by caladonea
The 4 deaths are on the news....one death was an 11 year old boy.....a tree fell on the roof where he was sleeping as a result of hurricane Irene....so yes...I am telling it like it is!


There is the exact quote. Nothing changed. So please, show me the word "under".
edit on 27-8-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
you idiots should go argue somewhere else, and quit posting asinine, and useless crap here.
here's a quote from another member, on another thread...


posted on 27-8-2011 @ 01:43 PM this post Checking in with update: My hospital is without AC and on a back up generator necessary for critical equipment only... The working conditions are not pleasant right now.....the parking lot is flooded up to the doors......Glad I brought my BUG out bag! My elderly patients are scared, I cant blame them. My alert and oriented patients are irritable..... My house and kids are without power, which is expected being in eastern NC right now.......I hate not knowing how they are right now....I couldn't get home now if I wanted too... A very good friend of mine lost her house, totaled, and destroyed by falling trees and wind.....I only found out through the grapevine posted on Facebook from a family member out of state.... A co-workers house up the street was totally destroyed by a giant oak tree smashing through the center of her house...... Its half way over now..................... The wind isn't too terrible, only about 80mph or so, but don't be fooled these winds can cause a great deal of damage.. I pray for the folks in VA and up into NY and NJ!!! This storm is HUGE!!!!!!!!!! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers!!!!

i tend to believe her. it's going to be bad enough along it's track, to cause significant damage, and loss of life.
if you dont live in it's path, than you have no reason to offer any opinions on what it's going to do, or who it's going to effect.



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lordpiney
 


Sorry I disagree. I think people like me who live in hurricane prone areas have plenty to offer. That poster appears to be from North Carolina which as I said in one of my post in one of the many threads on this topic, would be the hardest hit area in the US where it made landfall as a legitimate Cat 2 Hurricane.

Perhaps you should look at my numerous post on this topic and the advise I gave to those who were willing to listen before you decide who can contribute and who can not.



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by MRedfield
History as is the most over-hyped storm of the century? Absolutely.

It's a borderline Cat 1 that matches some normal Florida weather patterns now, this whole thing is a big joke.


Really....all the flooding and power outages in NC is a joke.....tell that to them.....a category 1 or 2 hurricane can still do a lot of damage.

I grow weary of all the people that say many are over-reacting.....many people have not experienced a hurricane before....to them it is scarey and important.....
edit on 27-8-2011 by caladonea because: add more
Any normal strength hurricanes/cyclones/typhoons can topple electric posts and cause brownouts. It happens all the time. Don't act like this is the first time that power outages happened because of hurricanes.



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   


happening now,,
new york

is next



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
reply to post by lordpiney
 


Sorry I disagree. I think people like me who live in hurricane prone areas have plenty to offer. That poster appears to be from North Carolina which as I said in one of my post in one of the many threads on this topic, would be the hardest hit area in the US where it made landfall as a legitimate Cat 2 Hurricane.


so, you dont think that hours of winds gusting over 80 mph, as it's forecasted to do here, will cause any damage?
I honestly dont feel like getting into an argument with you. i have enough on my plate as it is. im sure that you have good advice to offer. thank you for that. Ive lived through 5 hurricanes during my 46 yrs living at the jersey shore, and this is going to be as bad as any i can remember, if not worse. my basement is already flooded, and the worst of it isn't even going to be here til 4am. i cant wait til my electric goes out, and my sump pump craps the bed. by this time tomorrow, i hope you were right, and no one had anything to worry about...but i seriously doubt it.



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lordpiney
 


Depending on location there are things to worry about. NJ should expect some localized flooding, but you will not see the people wading through the streets in chest high water. You will not see JFK under 20 feet of water, like another thread on ATS is suggesting.

This storm is weakening. Below are some Satellite Images which you can see for yourself, it is weakening and has weakened significantly since it made landfall. I have added some other useful links for you to consider. Again depending on your exact location will determine how significant this storm will be.

IR Rainbow Image

Water vapor Image

Infrared Loop

Current Tracking

Irene Wind Map

projected storm surge map



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo
 


Well, not so much a falseflag,just false hopes. Living in a hurricaneareafor a long time, this thing is tiny.

Media is just a bit over excited. As usual



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lordpiney
 


I just saw on another thread that your location is 14 miles inland from Atlantic City. You are pretty close to the coast. My main concern for you would be flooding. I am expecting wind speeds to range from 39-73 mph in your area. If I were in your situation I would not evacuate but I would be keeping a very close eye on the water level. I would check it every hour on the hour, particularly AFTER the storm has actually passed. If you live by any of the numerous rivers that lead to the Bays you will want to keep a close eye on the water levels. According to the storm surge map, you should see a 4-5 foot storm surge and as much as 10 feet in the Lakes Bay area.



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
reply to post by lordpiney
 


I just saw on another thread that your location is 14 miles inland from Atlantic City. You are pretty close to the coast. My main concern for you would be flooding. I am expecting wind speeds to range from 39-73 mph in your area. If I were in your situation I would not evacuate but I would be keeping a very close eye on the water level. I would check it every hour on the hour, particularly AFTER the storm has actually passed. If you live by any of the numerous rivers that lead to the Bays you will want to keep a close eye on the water levels. According to the storm surge map, you should see a 4-5 foot storm surge and as much as 10 feet in the Lakes Bay area.

I live in the town of Egg Harbor City. while i doubt that storm surge is going to be a problem here, there are a number of small creeks in the area that were already filled to capacity before the storm got here. im not really worried about wind damage, but it could flood here. considering that i have a 3 yr old, and a 4 month old..i'll be extra vigilant tonight. time for another pot of coffee.
edit on 27-8-2011 by lordpiney because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by wavemaker

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by MRedfield
History as is the most over-hyped storm of the century? Absolutely.

It's a borderline Cat 1 that matches some normal Florida weather patterns now, this whole thing is a big joke.


Really....all the flooding and power outages in NC is a joke.....tell that to them.....a category 1 or 2 hurricane can still do a lot of damage.

I grow weary of all the people that say many are over-reacting.....many people have not experienced a hurricane before....to them it is scarey and important.....
edit on 27-8-2011 by caladonea because: add more
Any normal strength hurricanes/cyclones/typhoons can topple electric posts and cause brownouts. It happens all the time. Don't act like this is the first time that power outages happened because of hurricanes.


Yes ....power outages happen etc. but my point is...many people have not gone through this before....it is new to them....and therefore could be more frightening.......




edit on 27-8-2011 by caladonea because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lordpiney
 


Ok, after checking a map and getting an idea of your area storm surge will not be an issue at all. Worst case scenario for you will be flash flooding. As this storm dumps a lot of rain over a long period of time, it may very easily cause the creeks to over flow their banks. Any street or general area that is known for flooding during Severe Thunderstorms that dump huge amounts of water very fast, will more than likely flood now. I do not think I would be too concerned. If one of those creeks were to right by my home, I would keep a close eye on the water level rise, but if my home was more than 100-150 yards from the creek, I would not be very concerned at all. Any flooding that may be a huge issue you should see coming long before it actually effects you.



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
My sister lives right outside philly and she said that they are just starting to get hit. She says the winds aren't too bad but there are tornado warnings.

One thing I think people are forgetting are the tornadoes. The hurricane might not be bad, but who knows what can happen with tornadoes.

Just imagine, people with tornado coverage got hit with a hurricane and vice versa. Hope people got both out there.

To everyone out there, practice your common sense and stay safe. Not the smartest to underestimate the forces of nature.



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Look people, it gets old. All the criticism and arguing! As far as I'm concerned unless you are being directly affected by this hurricane, then you really have no business commenting in a condescending way. Stop diminishing the facts of how this storm is effecting families on the East Coast.

I live in Richmond, Virginia. We are located approx. An hour and fifteen minutes. from Norfolk.
winds here have been sustained 45 mph. With gusts up around 55 or higher.
Here is what you need to understand. The ground was already saturated. Sometimes it takes no wind at all to briing down a tree. There are multiple trees down all over the area. the house behind me has a tree on top of it it.
At around 6:00 pm, very large oak tree fell from the house directly across the street. It is now blocking my driveway and has cut off access to a portion of the neighborhood. Trees closed I 85 earlier this afternoon. A man 15 miles from me was killed in his home when a limb went through his house. There are almost 400,000 People in central va. without power. That number does not include the coastal areas. Altogether over 760,000 in Va. and
NC do not have power. There have been at least 7 Deaths assoc. with this storm.
and we are still having susustained winds at 20'Mph . These are the facts not opinion.

thanks
Pax

edit on 27-8-2011 by paxnatus because: typo

edit on 27-8-2011 by paxnatus because: typo



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
And by the way, not everyone lives in a double story house.

With a thimble full of intelligence and a handful of reading comprehension you would have been able to work that out!

edit on 27-8-2011 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)


Here is a link to the story.

11 year old dies in hurricane

Notice the home? 2 stories. Boy was sleeping in the upstairs room.

Notice the trees surrounding the home?

Did you read the article? Did you see why mom was not injured?

Point..... this was a completely avoidable death had mom used an ounce of common sense.

Care to tell me again how wrong I am?



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal
 
How low do you have to sink to make an assinide comment like this. You know a little compassion goes a long way Mr. Wendel! So that's real big of you to blame the mother for her own sons death! you need to think before you post!


edit on 27-8-2011 by paxnatus because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I agree with MrWendell myself - in that I don't think it's right to tell ANYONE that they have nothing to offer.

Everything about that just rubs me wrong. Everyone can talk. You can ignore anyone you want. Including me.
edit on 27-8-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
reply to post by MrWendal
 
How low do you have to sink to make an assinide comment like this. You know a little compassion goes a long way Mr. Wendel! So that's real big of you to blame the mother for her own sons death! you need to think before you post!


edit on 27-8-2011 by paxnatus because: (no reason given)


Actually, I dont really care what you think of my statement. I said it and I stand by it. This boy is dead and it is something that could have been completely avoided had she used some common sense. Common sense tells me that if my home is surrounded by large trees and a Cat 2 Hurricane with winds of 110 mph is bearing down on me, it would probably be a good idea to NOT sleep in the upstairs room. It would be a good idea to be at ground level.



posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
All coastal areas in Jersey and downstate NY are going to flood. Northeast had record rainfall last week. 14" of rain in 30 hours or something ridiculous. The ground is already super saturated. Combine that with high tide at 8 AM with the new moon and It's going to be flooded all over coastal areas.

For all of you that claim "meh category 1 is nothing", you're not understanding. No, there aren't going to be 150 mph winds to destroy things and homes, but anyone living under 10' from sea level is going to have damage and flooding. It's going to suck big time. Where's the water going to go? Fresh water flooding is a problem by itself. Add the tidal factor and this sucks pretty bad.

I've been here 35 years and haven't seen any conditions working together like this. Not for this large of an area anyway.

Who the hell honestly thought that boy was sleeping on the roof?
Jeez man



new topics

top topics



 
10
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join