It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irene 2011. History in the Making.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
It has now been downgraded to category 1 anyway, so it might be nowhere near as destructive as first though.

but as john bolaris, meteorologist in the city of philadelphia for fox 29, said we should think of this storm as category 2, just because of its sheer size of nearly 500 miles in diameter

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I just saw a new map that tracks Irene, they changed its projected area to be more west of NYC. It showed it coming right over my neck of the woods in Upstate NY early tomorrow. I'm not sure how weak it will be by the time it gets here but it's making everyone here a little more concerned.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by MRedfield
History as is the most over-hyped storm of the century? Absolutely.

It's a borderline Cat 1 that matches some normal Florida weather patterns now, this whole thing is a big joke.

Really....all the flooding and power outages in NC is a joke.....tell that to them.....a category 1 or 2 hurricane can still do a lot of damage.

I grow weary of all the people that say many are over-reacting.....many people have not experienced a hurricane before....to them it is scarey and important.....
edit on 27-8-2011 by caladonea because: add more

I just heard that 4 people have died in NC ...so far.....let's pray for their families ...and I hope and pray....there are no more deaths.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

And how many people in NYC die every day when there is no storm? This storm has not even made it to NYC yet, and you are already crediting the storm with 4 deaths?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

And how many people in NYC die every day when there is no storm? This storm has not even made it to NYC yet, and you are already crediting the storm with 4 deaths?

The 4 deaths are on the news....one death was an 11 year old boy.....a tree fell on the roof where he was sleeping as a result of hurricane Irene....so yes...I am telling it like it is!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
sigh.. A category 1 hurricane/tropical storm in my opinion, is like a Winter blizzard, without the snow...

This is no biblical storm.............

Yet I am sure their will still be some idiots thou running to the beaches or refusing to leave their beach house, and will end up having to be rescued, even thou they were told to leave, and the media, hyped the hell outta the storm...

When I say Americans, are stupid, I point at those people....

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

The 4 deaths are on the news....one death was an 11 year old boy.....a tree fell on the roof where he was sleeping as a result of hurricane Irene....so yes...I am telling it like it is!

Again do you realize the storm has not passed Washington DC yet? What that means is that it has not reached NY yet.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Again do you realize the storm has not passed Washington DC yet? What that means is that it has not reached NY yet.

He/She said 4 people died in NC. North Carolina. I bet you feel a bit silly now.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

N.C. stands for North Carolina, not New York City.

Easy to see how one could make that mistake.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1

He/She said 4 people died in NC. North Carolina. I bet you feel a bit silly now.

Actually no I dont feel silly at all. I obviously misread the statement and made a mistake. I would probably feel a bit silly if I had never made a mistake before, but I have just like everyone on earth has, therefor ... no I dont feel silly at all.

It was reported however that the total deaths being credited to Hurricane Irene is currently at 5. 3 in North Carolina and 2 in Virginia.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I am **CONFUSED**

How can a storm be politicized so?
I look at Drudge and some other conservative sites, and this storm isn't crap. It's a gale.

I am SEEING posts from friends though that say the power is out, a kid and man were killed by a tree falling, they've got water coming in the seams on their windows....

Where's the truth?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Actually no I dont feel silly at all. I obviously misread the statement and made a mistake. I would probably feel a bit silly if I had never made a mistake before, but I have just like everyone on earth has, therefor ... no I dont feel silly at all.

It was reported however that the total deaths being credited to Hurricane Irene is currently at 5. 3 in North Carolina and 2 in Virginia.

It's not the fact that you made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes, myself included believe it or not.

Your attitude on the other hand was entirely uncalled for and under the circumstances and considering the fact that you hadn't read the post properly, I would feel very silly if I were in your shoes.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Just a quick note to remind people not to listen to internet trolls..... protect yourselves and your loved ones.

I am also a Floridian and not one to poke and ridicule anyone taking caution in a hurricane. If this hurricane were on top of the trolls in this thread, they would be preaching the opposite of what they are spewing now.

Let common sense prevail!

Historical? Yes. Very.

Unprecedented in many ways.... just like every other natural disaster in the United States this year.

May the best continue to be wished for everyone in Irene's path. Let's hope the "historical" part stops here.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

What "attitude" am I displaying? If it is an attitude that the fear mongering concerning this storm is uncalled for and unwarranted, for that I am guilty as charged. Other than that, I don't have much of an attitude.

Originally posted by hadriana
I am **CONFUSED**

I look at Drudge and some other conservative sites, and this storm isn't crap. It's a gale.

I am SEEING posts from friends though that say the power is out, a kid and man were killed by a tree falling, they've got water coming in the seams on their windows....

Where's the truth?

Ok, this storm is not that bad. It is a weak hurricane but it is still a hurricane. You are going to have power outages. There is still 85 mph wind gust. It is going to cause weak branches to break and hit power lines. Power lines are going to be waving all over the place and hitting other lines that they should not be touching which will cause transformers to blow.

The deaths have come from the NC and Virgina area where this storm made landfall as a legitimate Cat 2 Hurricane. Not the end of the world but you still should take precautions. It is very easy to ride out a Cat 2 storm with a thimble full of knowledge and a handful of common sense. As an example... the 4 year old boy who died when the tree came down. That is very sad and is something that could be completely avoided. I have not read any article about this death, but going by what was posted it was said that he was on the roof. So my first question is what was this kid doing on the roof of a house during a hurricane? Now assuming that is a mistype, which I do think it is, the kid was in an upstairs room when the tree crashed through the roof. So again.. a thimble full of knowledge and a handful of common sense... that tells us that if you have a Cat 2 hurricane with Maximum wind speeds of 110 mph, and you are in a house that has large trees around it. You do not want to be upstairs. You want to be on a lower floor just in case one of those big trees comes crashing down.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

You do realize in my original statement I said NC (North Carolina).........I am talking about NC....which I already stated.....so please go back and read my original statement ....I said NC.....

edit on 27-8-2011 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Whether a cat 1, 2 or 5 it makes no diffirence people will be hurt and property damaged. I wish that you all stay safe and look out for each other my American brothers and sisters.

Respects, good luck and may your own god go with you.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

reply to post by RMFX1

What "attitude" am I displaying? If it is an attitude that the fear mongering concerning this storm is uncalled for and unwarranted, for that I am guilty as charged. Other than that, I don't have much of an attitude.

Originally posted by hadriana
I am **CONFUSED**

Where's the truth?

Ok, this storm is not that bad. It is a weak hurricane but it is still a hurricane. You are going to have power outages. There is still 85 mph wind gust. It is going to cause weak branches to break and hit power lines. Power lines are going to be waving all over the place and hitting other lines that they should not be touching which will cause transformers to blow.

The deaths have come from the NC and Virgina area where this storm made landfall as a legitimate Cat 2 Hurricane. Not the end of the world but you still should take precautions. It is very easy to ride out a Cat 2 storm with a thimble full of knowledge and a handful of common sense. As an example... the 4 year old boy who died when the tree came down. That is very sad and is something that could be completely avoided. I have not read any article about this death, but going by what was posted it was said that he was on the roof. So my first question is what was this kid doing on the roof of a house during a hurricane? Now assuming that is a mistype, which I do think it is, the kid was in an upstairs room when the tree crashed through the roof. So again.. a thimble full of knowledge and a handful of common sense... that tells us that if you have a Cat 2 hurricane with Maximum wind speeds of 110 mph, and you are in a house that has large trees around it. You do not want to be upstairs. You want to be on a lower floor just in case one of those big trees comes crashing down.

OMG! Once again you fail to read the post correctly. The tree came down on a roof that he was sleeping under! The poster was quite clear. And by the way, not everyone lives in a double story house.

With a thimble full of intelligence and a handful of reading comprehension you would have been able to work that out!

edit on 27-8-2011 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
Whether a cat 1, 2 or 5 it makes no diffirence people will be hurt and property damaged. I wish that you all stay safe and look out for each other my American brothers and sisters.

Respects, good luck and may your own god go with you.

Actually it makes a HUGE difference.

A Cat 5 Hurricane is Katrina, Rita, Hugo, Andrew, Camille. These hurricanes wipe places off the map. Below are images of what a Cat 5 hurricane will do.

Andrew

Andrew

Hugo

Camille

Rita

Rita

and we have all seen the images from hurricane Katrina, I do not think there is any need to repost that horror. That being said, New Orleans was not even a direct hit from Katrina. It was Mississippi that took the full force of Katrina and maybe one day I will look for and post my own personal pictures of that damage.

I also remember Rita all too well. I live one hour from the Gulf of Mexico. I can throw a rock and hit I-10 and I remember all too clearly the amount of boats that were on i-10, under I-10 and all around I-10. As a matter of fact, you can drive down I-10 and a few of those boats off the highway are still there to this day and if you were to see it now you would drive by and think "how the hell did they get a boat stuck there?" However, those of us from here already know.

Now Cat 1 and 2 Hurricanes can still be dangerous. Depending on your location you will need to take certain precautions. There will be some property damage, but there should be no loss of life. That is something that can be easily avoided with a thimble full of knowledge and a handful of common sense.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

OMG! Once again you fail to read the post correctly. The tree came down on a roof that he was sleeping under! The poster was quite clear. And by the way, not everyone lives in a double story house.

With a thimble full of intelligence and a handful of reading comprehension you would have been able to work that out!

edit on 27-8-2011 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

Really?? Well tell me something genius. Where is the word "under" in that post?

It clearly says, "a tree fell on the roof where he was sleeping". So like I said in my post... it was probably a mistype and I DO THINK IT IS. Now don't you feel silly?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I was reading about some past storms that hit NE and came to the conclusion that it was very different from what happens down South.

That the flooding is the real problem - that the strength of the hurricane can be weaker but the flooding can be really bad if there is a lot of rain.

That's just what I decided reading myself. The media is not making ANY sense to me about this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join