It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irene 2011. History in the Making.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I wanted to make a thread to track Hurricane Irene as it begins to devastate the eastern seaboard.

It will be high tide when Irene steams through which will push tons of water inland flooding low-lying cities.

As of right now there is a hurricane warning for over 29 million people. Please share your thoughts on this, because this event will be talked about for awhile.

Of course here is a link to The Weather Channel so you can track it.

If you live in the area please give us some updates on the situation and of course be safe.
edit on 26-8-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

How is a cat 2 hurricane "historical" in any way? Way to add to the irrational panic the media has created.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Endure
reply to post by iamhobo

How is a cat 2 hurricane "historical" in any way? Way to add to the irrational panic the media has created.

Were you born after Hurricane Katrina? Apparently you don't know what storm surge does to cities on the coast line. Not to mention people who aren't prepared for hurricanes in the northeast. Not to mention this hurricane isn't hitting just one major city, it's hitting a sh*t load of major cities both on the coast and inland.

Ah sorry forgot to mention, it's been almost 200 years since a hurricane took this track.
edit on 26-8-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
really? Sorry mods, but the fear agenda is out of control.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enlightenme1111
really? Sorry mods, but the fear agenda is out of control.

Yes it is.

The media is good at its job

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

I'm not sure if you heard but Hurricane Irene has been said to lost quite a bit of strength and it will not even be considered a category 1 anymore, it will be a tropical storm.

Or at least once it hits Rhode Island.
edit on 26-8-2011 by Greensquad414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

No, actually I experienced Katrina as it crossed over Florida. Katrina was a cat 5 hurricane, how on earth can you compare this thing to that???

And, New Orleans is largely below sea level, that is a totally different situation.

edit on 26-8-2011 by Endure because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The Hurricane is going to hit many major cities, so the media will be able to hype the amount of damage that occurs even if it is spread out. It doesn't have to leave people homeless or flood entire communities, but if there are like more than 10 states that are going to be effected then it some how rivals with category 4s and 5s that hit only Florida and the gulf states

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

reply to post by iamhobo

Exactly what I've been wondering... I've lived in NC my whole life, and the coast of NC for a good portion of it... Hurricanes don't scare me.
edit on 26-8-2011 by darkendmetal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
i live in midway park nc just out side of jacksonville right past camp lejuene and we are all ready geting hammered has been 6 tornados so far here by what the weather channel says and looks like there will be more there was one less then a mile down the road they say like 5 min ago but still dont see it or no signs of it such as the train noise ect wasent expecting it to be this bad here this soon thought it was going to be tomarow when it acctualy got bad but happening all ready was going to type more but local news is saying there is a tornado in midway park now and thats where i live got to go to closet or something wait i think its the bathroom where u go anyway im going somewhere il jump back on after this since i think i do here something this time like a low rumbleing that isint thunder

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
History as is the most over-hyped storm of the century? Absolutely.

It's a borderline Cat 1 that matches some normal Florida weather patterns now, this whole thing is a big joke.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Wait till it moves into low-lying, major cities. If there is any storm surge, subways and sewers will flood, forcing millions and millions of urban rats to the surface and into taller buildings where folks are holding up.

The potential is crazy. It's the stuff of Hollywood.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormy01399
i live in midway park nc just out side of jacksonville right past camp lejuene and we are all ready geting hammered has been 6 tornados so far here by what the weather channel says and looks like there will be more there was one less then a mile down the road they say like 5 min ago but still dont see it or no signs of it such as the train noise ect wasent expecting it to be this bad here this soon thought it was going to be tomarow when it acctualy got bad but happening all ready was going to type more but local news is saying there is a tornado in midway park now and thats where i live got to go to closet or something wait i think its the bathroom where u go anyway im going somewhere il jump back on after this since i think i do here something this time like a low rumbleing that isint thunder

Yeah, definitely a tense experience to ride one of these out. The rumbling sound will continue for hours because the wind from this storm alone is as powerful as an F1 tornado, so it is kind of like being in a very minor tornado for hours. Not fun, stay safe man.

I always found my buddy Jack Daniels a very helpful part of my preparedness kit

edit on 26-8-2011 by Endure because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
lol brought my laptop in with me lol im used to tornados i lived in south west mo for 10 years before i moved here i just dont rember them too well since i was 10 when i left lol and where i live in nc im not used to them had only 1 since i lived here that did any damage and that was along piney green and in jacksonville its self they had fema here for that one and a freind of mines house got destroyed in it and he said they where more of a pain then helpfull but anyway lol
edit on 26-8-2011 by stormy01399 because: added on

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

reply to post by iamhobo

This storm is carrying A LOT of water and it's hitting at high tide, the winds aren't so much the worry as much as the massive flooding that can potentially happen.. this could be a very devastating event.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

reply to post by iamhobo

This storm is carrying A LOT of water and it's hitting at high tide, the winds aren't so much the worry as much as the massive flooding that can potentially happen.. this could be a very devastating event.

Yes, but NC will take the surge. For NY to take a major surge wall it would have to come in from the SE, this is coming from the south so the surge will largely be blocked by the NC coast. And I am sure NY will not even say "thanks."

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield
History as is the most over-hyped storm of the century? Absolutely.

It's a borderline Cat 1 that matches some normal Florida weather patterns now, this whole thing is a big joke.

Are you serious? .. The thread is the flooding, not the storm directly .. the storm carries with it a LOT of water in an already saturated land mass, that water has nowhere to go with as much precipitation that has fallen .. Not only that but it strikes at high tide so it's going to be pushing some serious water on shore.. this storm has seriously dangerous potential, it is a not at all wise to underestimate it that way..

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Endure

Does it matter who takes the surge? we're talking people .. should we just care less because it's not New York? I hope that isn't the insinuation

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

i have to aggree with u on that i wasent expecting not much to happen starting to wish i boarded up windows and s**t but dident since family here said it wouldent amout to much well now i got a tree limb thru bedroom window since i dident but plywood up. think i learned my lesson.
edit on 26-8-2011 by stormy01399 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
also with the ground being saturaited as it is from this it realy dosent take much wind at all to up root trees.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join